Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasnevin -> Roundwood -> Greystones Fri 13th pm

• 12-05-2011 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭

Heading out to Greystones from Glasnevin tomorrow afternoon, I'm thinking of heading down as far as Laragh (75km) or Roundwood (60km). Given that I'm not the best of climbers, is 10km of steady climbing up to Sally Gap going to kill me? Anyone interested in the spin? Probably around 25kph average.

Planning on leaving Glasnevin around 4...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I could well be up for this, need to get a pass from the missus to disappear into the mountains for a few hours first! Will update this thread once I have a definitive. I should be able to set off from Swords at 4pm, we could arrange to meet somewhere on the Swords Road around 4.20pm?

Ok missus approval granted, finish work in Airside, Swords at 4pm will have bike with me and head to meet you if you get this and arrangements are agreed :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

How long will you take to get to Glasnevin from there? 15min or so? Junction of Griffith Ave and N1?

BTW, I'll be finishing up in Greystones visiting family. Hope that's not a problem...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    How long will you take to get to Glasnevin from there? 15min or so? Junction of Griffith Ave and N1?

Aye 15mins or so, its about 8km. Depends which way the wind is howling today! I can nip out 10mins early, so say 10past at the latest.

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    BTW, I'll be finishing up in Greystones visiting family. Hope that's not a problem...

That's grand, I'll just hop on the dart to Malahide, and cycle back to Swords.

Anyone else up for this? Looks like the showers should die off in good time.

Well that was good and no, I'm not just back from the spin...

Popped my Sally Gap cherry today. A fairly stiff climb in spots but mainly just long. Finally got to the top and started rolling downhill looking out for the crossroads. Found one but it didn't look right. Then we got to the second half of the climb! Wasn't expecting it but manfully struggled on. Nasty little kick near the top at Lough Tay, legs weren't one bit happy. We opted to head straight on for Laragh which involved more climbing than seemed reasonable.

I'm not (yet) cut out for this descending lark. Seemed like every bend was coming up too fast. I guess it's a matter of getting familiar with the road. The descents were also marred by my freehub vibrating and grabbing a bit. Maybe it's just a matter of stripping and re-greasing or maybe it's a Mavic freehub bush worn out...

Weather was good apart from the hail shower that had us running for cover at Rathfarnham. Nice NW winds mainly at our backs helped on the climb...

Ended up at 86km for an average of 21.5kph. Nice to meet Inquitus. Good company.

Sadly I am up at 6.30am with the kids atoning for being allowed to climb the Sally Gap with cdaly yesterday. Also my first time over it. Went out a bit hard on the first part of the climb and paid for it a bit when she kicks up above 10% there for a while. Thereafter settled in to a nice rythm spinning away and made it over the rest of the way handy enough.

Beautiful scenary up there, a nice proper climb to boot and the weather cleared up nicely as soon as we hit the Dublin mountains.

How does this compare to the climbs on the SKT Comeragh Challenge?

Anyways thanks to cdaly for some good company and a Friday afternoon well spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Similar to SKT in difficulty I think. SKT has steeper but Sally Gap is longer. In SKT there are four climbs in the 160km, first is really steep, second is long, third is steep and long, last is neither but feels worse than it is as it is at the end and everyone forgets about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement