Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2011 silage charges

• 12-05-2011 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Anyone get silage prices for 2011 ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Anyone give an update here?
    , I`m going doing round bails next week, I`m afraid to ask how much per bale its going to cost:eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I heard of 135/acre been quoted for precision chop, ffs diesel is hardly that dear, hard to see farmers paying that though.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

A neighbouring contractor is picking up silage with wagons this year at EUR 75 per acre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Martin 83

Grecco wrote: »
    Anyone give an update here?
    , I`m going doing round bails next week, I`m afraid to ask how much per bale its going to cost:eek:
    Round bales all in (mow,bale and wrap including plastic) will be 10 euro or so i was told today. This is in the west by the way.

Ah my first post:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Martin 83 wrote: »
    Round bales all in (mow,bale and wrap including plastic) will be 10 euro or so i was told today. This is in the west by the way.

Ah my first post:).
    That sounds cheap wherebouts in the west are those contractors ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Martin 83

moy83 wrote: »
    That sounds cheap wherebouts in the west are those contractors ?
    Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

i heard to 10 to bale and wrap with farmer providing plastic and 12 with contractor providing plastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

mow rake bale and wrap and stacked in the yard 9 euro supply your own plastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Remember too that some balers, like the Mchale Fusion pack up to 30% more into a bale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

pakalasa wrote: »
    Remember too that some balers, like the Mchale Fusion pack up to 30% more into a bale.

Compared to a RP12 yes, but not modern Welgers or F550.

Back on topic, heard that wagon all in, is €90 an acre, longish draw though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Agri contractor

We are looking at charging 105 for wagons and this includes raking and 9 euro to make a bale with a minimum of 100 bales. plastic supplied. Anything less than 100 we will have to charge 10 per bale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

what does the nine euro include

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Agri contractor

Bale and wrap and supply plastic with Mchale fusion.

but are you mowing it as well? if so that sounds very good value

• Registered Users Posts: 7 6910

where are u

• Registered Users Posts: 7 6910

where u from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Paying €9.50 a bale which includes mowing, baling, wrapping and stacking.
    Paid €83 for a roll of plastic on saturday at Glanbia. hopefully get a bit of a discount on that when we buy the bulk of the plastic

Precision chop in our area will be in the 100-120 range (both trailed and self propelled), although there is a guy who is starting up who will go certain big jobs for 80

No idea on wagons as they are not too common round us

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Paying €9.50 a bale which includes mowing, baling, wrapping and stacking.
    Paid €83 for a roll of plastic on saturday at Glanbia. hopefully get a bit of a discount on that when we buy the bulk of the plastic

Precision chop in our area will be in the 100-120 range (both trailed and self propelled), although there is a guy who is starting up who will go certain big jobs for 80

No idea on wagons as they are not too common round us
    saved it today 8.50 cut ,baled ,wrapped and brought in for me [on nite duty] I supplied plastic thats in co. clare thats paying the man soon if lads want to leave fixing up till end of year he said it would be 10euros

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

the power of cash

mikeoh wrote: »
    the power of cash

Any chance you`d pm me the contact details of this lad thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

pakalasa wrote: »

Not true. Had contractor with lely/welgers make my bales last year. Helped neighbour bring in his bales from a fusion. No probs get the lifter in around them and as light as a feather

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

Muckit wrote: »
    Not true. Had contractor with lely/welgers make my bales last year. Helped neighbour bring in his bales from a fusion. No probs get the lifter in around them and as light as a feather

Most modern balers pack the same amount of grass in. Weight and shape is basically down to the type of grass and how dry it is etc. Have tried a Lely against a mcHale F550 and a couple of metres either way to make a bale.
    Fusion bales are usually easier to get the handler in under them as they get less abuse from the wrapper etc

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Compared to a RP12 yes, but not modern Welgers or F550.
    Ah I'm not so sure. I bale with an F550 for the bossman,As I came home last night the father was baling our own with an RP12s.
    I baled one and he baled one, We weighed them both and my bale was only 75kg heavier.

pajero12 wrote: »
    Ah I'm not so sure. I bale with an F550 for the bossman,As I came home last night the father was baling our own with an RP12s.
    I baled one and he baled one, We weighed them both and my bale was only 75kg heavier.

Better tell your bossman to wind up the chamber pressure on his 550. Bales from those two balers shouldn't even be related.

Better tell your bossman to wind up the chamber pressure on his 550. Bales from those two balers shouldn't even be related.

Depends who's driving ;)

You're putting yourself down as the bad pilot now. :D How did you weigh the bales anyway???

You're putting yourself down as the bad pilot now. :D How did you weigh the bales anyway???

The lads that i bale for would disagree :P The welger has a mechanical tail lock, Give it a chance to roll the bale and it'll keep packing until the slip clutch goes! Granted I made 4 in the time it took him to bale one but still!

Put them in on the weighing scales for the cattle.

That's not good for the baler, especially something as old as a 12S and those paper thin rollers that they used in them. Always had a problem with soft centres in the bales when used to use them (even though I rated the 12S way above the early 200). Get a denser bale with the more modern balers imo. Chopper and wide pickup reel probably have alot to do with that too though.

That's not good for the baler, especially something as old as a 12S and those paper thin rollers that they used in them. Always had a problem with soft centres in the bales when used to use them (even though I rated the 12S way above the early 200). Get a denser bale with the more modern balers imo. Chopper and wide pickup reel probably have alot to do with that too though.
    Oh your probably right about that but never had any bother with the rollers!
    Any sort of a lumpy swarth ruins the RP12s. Thats why we got rid of the aul haybob :P Well ours has a wide reel so that probably help, How many horsepower did ye have in front of it?

• Advertisement

Anything from 75 to 100 horses. Ford 7610, IH 784, IH 956, Lambo 105. Narrow pickup all the way. Can safely say got blocked more often in any one day with that than I do in a whole season now.
    Think the roller problems originated from the previous owner baling alot of straw. Apparantly it makes the roller skin paper thin even though it looks perfect. Still miss the double side boxes though. Used to have them jam packed with all kinds of everything

Anything from 75 to 100 horses. Ford 7610, IH 784, IH 956, Lambo 105. Narrow pickup all the way. Can safely say got blocked more often in any one day with that than I do in a whole season now.
    Think the roller problems originated from the previous owner baling alot of straw. Apparantly it makes the roller skin paper thin even though it looks perfect. Still miss the double side boxes though. Used to have them jam packed with all kinds of everything

Ah old school :) But i think the extra hp does help!
    They are handy alright!

Lil bit of a confession to make...Was able to screw up the density a turn or two...or 3 on the F550 :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

of the balers I have had silage Fusion JD Krone

Fusion heavest ~ 850 - 950 kgs
    JD next around the 800kgs mark
    and Krone around 650-700kgs Older type krone

All above with similar DM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

€75 for precision chop in pit with help covering pit with tyres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

wagon only 55e an acre bit of a draw

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

Redbull and keep going where are ye thats for nothing compared to around here..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

I spent the weekend baling silage with a 12s behind a TS115. In fairness with the bale chamber full the New Holland can feel it and the bales are hard to the centre.

Great balers though! You don't get blocks once the swath is conditioned.

dasheriff wrote: »
    Redbull and keep going where are ye thats for nothing compared to around here..
    north galway

red bull wrote: »
    north galway

Who in north Galway charging €75/acre this year? :confused:

Who in north Galway charging €75/acre this year? :confused:
    two contractors whose surnames begin with B

red bull wrote: »
    two contractors whose surnames begin with B

Well I think I know one :D You pay for what you get I suppose. I think he moved from precision to wagon. Different thing entirely

I paid €110/acre today to the contractor I use for self propelled precision chop.

• Advertisement

Well I think I know one :D You pay for what you get I suppose. I think he moved from precision to wagon. Different thing entirely
    can get wagon done for 65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

This year we're €10 cut, baled and wrapped (if you provide plastic). We hear of lads doing it for 7 and 8 euro up the country, but they're at nothing charging them prices. Doing the work is one thing, getting paid is a whole other story :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

how many wraps do ye advise on bales??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

LivInt20 wrote: »
    how many wraps do ye advise on bales??

We do all ours with six layers here, no contest compared to 4 layers. But we wilt ours well, chop and pack the life out of them so makes sense. 4 layers might be ok for wetter,less dense bales. Depends on the brand of plastic too, some are hopeless unless 6 layer. Haven't dumped a bale in years and no mold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

We do all ours with six layers here, no contest compared to 4 layers. But we wilt ours well, chop and pack the life out of them so makes sense. 4 layers might be ok for wetter,less dense bales. Depends on the brand of plastic too, some are hopeless unless 6 layer. Haven't dumped a bale in years and no mold.

We do 4 (16 turns). Silage is always first class and 90% of bales have no mold. Most important thing is the condition of the grass when baling.

No doubt 24 turns is good, but a little extravagant, especially for dry stock where they margins are not predictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

maidhc wrote: »
    We do 4 (16 turns). Silage is always first class and 90% of bales have no mold. Most important thing is the condition of the grass when baling.

No doubt 24 turns is good, but a little extravagant, especially for dry stock where they margins are not predictable.

We normally do 4 layers if the silage is baled dry and find that it preserves it exceptionally well. It has to be good quality wrap too!!!

We'd give 6 layers if the silage was baled wet and there was a chance that the wet bale might swell out or deform when stacked. Its well worth the extra few layers.

I wrap for a couple of people too and have never been requested to put on more than 4 layers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

reilig wrote: »
    We normally do 4 layers if the silage is baled dry and find that it preserves it exceptionally well. It has to be good quality wrap too!!!

We'd give 6 layers if the silage was baled wet and there was a chance that the wet bale might swell out or deform when stacked. Its well worth the extra few layers.

I wrap for a couple of people too and have never been requested to put on more than 4 layers.

Maybe you have hit the nail on the head here. Was very unhappy with the preservation of my bales last year. Mould, mould and more mould.
    For a number of reasons, I had to get my silage cut and wrapped same day. Cut early morning, with conditioner mower and two rows grouped into one. Baled that evening. Crop was dry and day was ok. But obviously there was only minimal wilt. We wrapped with 4 layers.

I had thought, for wet silage 4 wraps would be fine:( In fact I had always believed, the 6 layers was only really needed on dry silage, bordering on haylage, due to a greater probability of the grass puncturing the plastic, as it would be harder, than soft green stuff.

Anyway, based on my experience I think your logic is correct!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

100 + VAT + 8 TO Rake

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kilmac1

we bought a john deere baler and a conor wraper some job :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

16 turns on the wrapper does the job. 24 means you use a third more wrap (expensive) and isn't always necessary

• Advertisement
Advertisement