Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2011 silage charges

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Maybe you have hit the nail on the head here. Was very unhappy with the preservation of my bales last year. Mould, mould and more mould.
    For a number of reasons, I had to get my silage cut and wrapped same day. Cut early morning, with conditioner mower and two rows grouped into one. Baled that evening. Crop was dry and day was ok. But obviously there was only minimal wilt. We wrapped with 4 layers.

I had thought, for wet silage 4 wraps would be fine:( In fact I had always believed, the 6 layers was only really needed on dry silage, bordering on haylage, due to a greater probability of the grass puncturing the plastic, as it would be harder, than soft green stuff.

Anyway, based on my experience I think your logic is correct!

Its more experience than logic :D

Got cought like you. In 2009, because of the weather, we had to bale a lot of wet silage. Some of it was wrapped with 4 layers and stacked. Some was wrapped with 4 layers, drawn 10 miles and wrapped again with 2 more layers. The stuff that got the extra layers was perfect!!

Dry and wilted silage keeps well enough with only 4 layers. 6 layers is overkill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Lads how many bales do you get from a roll of wrap with either 4 or 6 layers?? I assume that 32 odd bales is for 4 layers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Lads how many bales do you get from a roll of wrap with either 4 or 6 layers?? I assume that 32 odd bales is for 4 layers?

It really depends on the wrap manufacturer.
    Some will do 32 or 33 bales per roll (4 layers), Others will do as little as 28.

(Volac have a roll out now that will do much much more but it is more expensive)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

We always got 30 bales at 4 layers and 21/22 with 6 layers. McHale bales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 noshalcain

mikeoh wrote: »
    saved it today 8.50 cut ,baled ,wrapped and brought in for me [on nite duty] I supplied plastic thats in co. clare thats paying the man soon if lads want to leave fixing up till end of year he said it would be 10euros

Hi,
    that would be right. i charge 11.50 cut ,baled ,wrapped and brought in and me supplying the plastic. that is if the yard is close. it might be a little more if the yard is a long draw from the field. fusion baler is the only job lads

blue5000 wrote: »
    I heard of 135/acre been quoted for precision chop, ffs diesel is hardly that dear, hard to see farmers paying that though.
    In our area the lads are all about the same price 120 per acre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

noshalcain wrote: »
    In our area the lads are all about the same price 120 per acre
    Got mine done last week precision chop €75 an acre payment on the day:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Out usual man is €9 a bale and we supply plastic and draw in, nearly sure it's either the same as last year or maybe 50c more... Surprised considering the increase in diesel and running costs but then again there are a few more lads knocking round looking for work too... Had €10 in the budget ;)

red bull wrote: »
    Got mine done last week precision chop €75 an acre payment on the day:D

payment on the day is a bonus and can have a big factor of the price per acre / bale. i wonder though. how much would it have been for you to get that done if cash on the day was not a factor. and also how many acres did you get done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

40 acres no idea if not paid on day, but quoted €5.50 for baled silage if paid on day if wrap supplied baled with fusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

neighbour got square bales wraped this year. dont look much bigger than 4X4s but he says they have a ton of silage in them as opposed to 600 kgs in the rounds. better to stack too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

If we have to supply plastic, we're charging 12 per bale. It's tough enough at that even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭babybrian

Sorry lads, this might sicken a lot of you.. €4.70/bale for baling and wrapping!!! 30 cents cheaper than last year.. over supply of balers and wrappers and good neighbours. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dryan

last year, 2 different lads around me charged 7 euro/bale to bale and wrap.
    I did the mowing and supplied the plastic.
    how does that compare to going rates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

dryan wrote: »
    last year, 2 different lads around me charged 7 euro/bale to bale and wrap.
    I did the mowing and supplied the plastic.
    how does that compare to going rates?

I'd say thats about right, going by what i hear lads being charged round me.

• Advertisement

Sunset V wrote: »
    If we have to supply plastic, we're charging 12 per bale. It's tough enough at that even.
    is that 12 for the whole package ie, mowing, baling, wrapping drawing in and stacking?

babybrian wrote: »
    Sorry lads, this might sicken a lot of you.. €4.70/bale for baling and wrapping!!! 30 cents cheaper than last year.. over supply of balers and wrappers and good neighbours. :D
    but your not supplying the plastic at that price?

I'd say thats about right, going by what i hear lads being charged round me.
    Thats too expensive. its 5.60 if the farmer supplies plastic in our area. that's just for baling and wrapping and it there would be a 20 ft rake run over the ground before it was baled included in that price

Advertisement