Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC TV but no BB

• 12-05-2011 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

hi guys...
    sorry if im reposting an old topic.
    but can anyone explain why UPC can deliver to me there TV package but not their BB package?

i basically want BB and nothing else, but after contacting them they said they cant supply it to my area, which is in Carlow town just before the I.T on kilkenny road..

can some one explain it to me as i thought everything goes 'down' the one line as it were?

Should i just keep hounding them till i can get it here or just give up and let eircom etc shaft me for there awful service?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well first of all do you receive TV via cable or MMDS.

MMDS is a funny looking mesh antenna on your roof. While cable comes up from the road outside your house or strung from a neighbours house.

If you have MMDS, then you will never be able to get BB from them, the technology just isn't capable of it.

If you have cable, then it is because they haven't installed the broadband gear (which is different from TV) in your area yet, but they will probably get there eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 johnnyjo

ahhh i see... thanks for explaining that to me..
    right first off... i couldnt see any dishes other than some people having sky dishes up (apartment block).. so it seems to be cabling underground.

the last place i lived in (dublin) wasnt able to get BB but was able to TV. So I basically harassed them on the phone to see if was available.. so im guessing its a case of 'rinse and repeat'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Harassing them on the phone won't get you broadband any quicker. They will upgrade their network at their own schedule, if they even plan to do your area at all. UPC don't release their plans to the public, so there's no way to tell whether you will ever get it.

If you want broadband, then get whatever might be available right now. If UPC becomes available at a later date, then change over if required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I have a similar issue and it's driving me demented. I live in Dublin 15, 5 houses down from the entrance to a medium/small estate. I have checked a few houses on every street in the estate and only my side of my street cannot receive broadband. The houses opposite me can, and the houses behind me can, but I can't. UPC don't have a clue why, and although they always tell me an engineer will ring back to check it out, that never happens. You'd think they'd want the business like. :(

Advertisement