Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sako - Rings and Mounts or Just Rings?

Options
  • 12-05-2011 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Sako owners, a question for you.

I have an AV, the last version of the Finnbear, so I am told. There are no iron sights. :( I want to put some glass on and need rings. No problem.

The AV receiver looks a lot like the 85, bottom most firearm in the below image, so the internet tells me.
    sako-a7-4.jpg
    Let me see if I have this straight. I can get additional mounts, put them onto the integral dovetail mounts of the receiver, and put rings on these mounts, correct?

Or, I can forget buying anymore mounts and just put these Leupold Rings on the receiver, correct?

Did I miss something? Putting mounts on a mount seems redundant, unless windage adjustable mounts are needed.

Ideas? Pro? Cons?

Keep in mind lower is better in my kits when it comes to scope height.

Any feedback would be helpful. There's a lot of new ideas for someone used to weaver and picatinny systems. I am hearing about Optilock, Millet, and Talley to name a few. How I hate proprietary systems!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

the plus side of the optilocks is because of the insert they self centre the scope and wont mark it, i'm waiting for my license for my sako 75 that comes with optilocks, if i ever have to change them i think i'll go for the one piece optilocks,
    http://www.sako.fi/optilockproducts.php?ringmounts

talley do a base also but the supposedly mark the reciever of the gun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

ormondprop wrote: »
    http://www.sako.fi/optilockproducts.php?ringmounts
    talley do a base also but the supposedly mark the reciever of the gun

OrmondProp,
    Thanks for the link, that image makes things much clearer now.

I do not really care for shims, but have nothing against them. I do, however, prefer to be able to lap.

Now that I know what I am looking for, you can see where my firearm was previously mounted.

Slan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Thats not a shim in the optilocks, its a polymer ring to protect the scope, and it somewhat acts like a ballbearing to allign the scope without having to lap the rings

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

Sako oplilocks are the only mounting system ive seen used on any sako rifle and by all accounts are a great mount

Unless you are a seriously dedicated target shooter then lapping rings isnt needed, ive only ever heard of 1k shooters who have the best scope/load/rig going to the point of lapping rings to get the last best out of their setup

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Here's what I did.

I used the Sako tappered mounts and Optilok rings with the insert that means you don't have to lap the rings as they will always be centered on my Sako 75.

BUT because the recoil pin prevents and rear mount from going as far forward as it can by 1/4" I took that out. I just felt that as the rear mount could be pulled to the right when the screws were tightened up it would put the scope looking to the left.

In the end I put 2 Burris Picatinny mounts on the tappered mounts and now use any picatinny ring going, I my case a set of Burris xtreme.

I have Sako mounts for sale now if anyone is looking for a set.

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Clive that is a real sweet set-up. Only disadvantage with the two piece rail mounts is that the distance of the gaps can't be controlled. Meaning one might have to adjust one ring on a scope when changing scope from rifle to rifle. I have a Roedale 20MOA one piece rail on my sako. Dissadvantage is that it builds up a bit of height cured by one size lower rings.
    Optilocks are very heavy but normally very sturdy. The big advantage is that they do put less stress on the scope. With normal mounts it doesn't matter if you are hunting or target shooting, crooked mounted rings will bend or stress a scope. If the mounts are not straight one should lap or possibly bed. I bed every scope in normal mounts.
    edi

sakorail.jpg

ejg wrote: »
    Clive that is a real sweet set-up. Only disadvantage with the two piece rail mounts is that the distance of the gaps can't be controlled. Meaning one might have to adjust one ring on a scope when changing scope from rifle to rifle. I have a Roedale 20MOA one piece rail on my sako. Dissadvantage is that it builds up a bit of height cured by one size lower rings.
    Optilocks are very heavy but normally very sturdy. The big advantage is that they do put less stress on the scope. With normal mounts it doesn't matter if you are hunting or target shooting, crooked mounted rings will bend or stress a scope. If the mounts are not straight one should lap or possibly bed. I bed every scope in normal mounts.
    edi

sakorail.jpg

I couldn't get the one piece Roedale mount and I don't think they are made any more. Those Burris are a cheap but good alternative and lock up tight before doing up the grub screw, a small tap forward with a very light hammer. I hear you about not being the correct length.

You could always get a pair fo Sako mounts and get a picatinny rail drilled and tapped to the mounts and have the same as your Roedale setup. I only thought of doing that after buying the Burris mounts

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I have just ordered another from Roedale. Recknagel also make a sako rail.
    It is the same as the Roedale rail.
    edi

ejg wrote: »
    I have just ordered another from Roedale. Recknagel also make a sako rail.
    It is the same as the Roedale rail.
    edi

My mistake.
    Roedale Sako picatiny rail.

http://www.webshop.roedale.de/product_info.php?info=p149_Picatinny-Rail-Sako-with-Optilok--20MOA-.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Sako god if only they would fix the one problem they have THERE BUTTER BOLTS christ i've ruined and replaced most of them on both my Sako 75 rings and TRG one piece mounts, and they are a hard to come by those little bolts. other than that good item was told to consider Talley mounts when i was buying but went Sako.... Working fine
    Maybe worth a look??
    http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/

• Advertisement

Lads,
    Thanks for the heads up, I think I get the overall picture, but still have a question.

I like Ormondprop's idea wrt the one piece, I always have a bit of fuss when using the two piece bases. However, I do prefer the two. Also, the one probably does stress the scope less, to what extent, I do not know.

I am trying to find two piece picatinny bases to use my beloved XTR rings. Like the ones in CliveJ's post. Have you a link to them?

The best I can find are these. However, they look like mounts onto which you put picatinny mounts - too high for my taste.

I have two piece pic bases and xtr rings on my: 700, 870, and 1500. But they will not fit the tapered-dovetail Sako receiver. You lads didn't drill, did ye? That's definitely against my religion.

I did order a set of Leupold Ringmounts. They are a bit anemic for my liking and have inserts which I also prefer not to have. However, my #1 priority of being as low as possible is met.

Again, thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

You can get custom rails state side any length you want, but they will cost you.

FISMA wrote: »
    Lads,
    Thanks for the heads up, I think I get the overall picture, but still have a question.

I like Ormondprop's idea wrt the one piece, I always have a bit of fuss when using the two piece bases. However, I do prefer the two. Also, the one probably does stress the scope less, to what extent, I do not know.

I am trying to find two piece picatinny bases to use my beloved XTR rings. Like the ones in CliveJ's post. Have you a link to them?

The best I can find are these. However, they look like mounts onto which you put picatinny mounts - too high for my taste.

I have two piece pic bases and xtr rings on my: 700, 870, and 1500. But they will not fit the tapered-dovetail Sako receiver. You lads didn't drill, did ye? That's definitely against my religion.

I did order a set of Leupold Ringmounts. They are a bit anemic for my liking and have inserts which I also prefer not to have. However, my #1 priority of being as low as possible is met.

Again, thanks for the help.

Burris website
    Bottom of this page. Burris item mumber = 410331 Sako Dovetail (aluminum)

http://www.burrisoptics.com/xtrrings.html

xtbbases.jpg

E-bay is your friend here.
    Be quick only a couple still for sale

Item number:220732244673 @ £35

link is here

Clive,
    I think I overlooked them because they were marked Weaver. Thanks for the link.

How do these fasten to the receiver? They do not have to be drilled, do they?

Are they pushed on the dovetail and then anchored by bolts at the top that hit the receiver's top?

Slan

I just slid them on the tappered dovetail and gave them a couple taps with a small hammer to tighten them up. They are held on by a 1 small grub screw in each mount. Remember that the recoil will tend to send them and the scope forward more, so the grub screw just keeps it all where they should be.

A good buy IMO and worked well on my Sako 75 .308.
    I use the Burris xtreme picatinny rings as well.

Got it!

Ordered.

PM sent!

FISMA wrote: »
    Got it!

Ordered.

PM sent!

Got that mate, talk soon

Advertisement