Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

turn on work pc from home?

• 13-05-2011 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭

hi guys/girls wondering how to remote access my work pc when turned off from my laptop at home,running win7 from home & xp on work desktop,cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Nope afraid not.

If it was asleep you can configure wake on LAN but again it would have to be already set up. But full shut down is not wakeable remotely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

There's a "power on" option in the free remoting tool logmein. But it's hit and miss. You could try it though, just sign up for a free account. www.logmein.com.

chin_grin wrote: »
    There's a "power on" option in the free remoting tool logmein. But it's hit and miss. You could try it though, just sign up for a free account. www.logmein.com.

Is that not Wake on LAN again dependant on the system being in sleep not full power off. I have logmein free on my PC at home and have had to text my house mate to turn it on :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi OP - generally not possible (without some access to IT infrastructure and a bit more know how/software/configuration)
    However you could set or PC to auto power on in the morning via the BIOS - not sure if that would help you or not - it depends on your needs and indeed the BIOS on the PC.

http://www.3stylelife.com/2009/12/21/quick-tip-bios-auto-power-on/

Actually I was wrong, I was looking at logmein options and saw this:

Enable 'Wake On LAN' from sleep and power off
    Note: WoL from power off state is only possible when WoL is enabled in the BIOS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

fionny wrote: »

Note: WoL from power off state is only possible when WoL is enabled in the BIOS.

;)

When it works..............only the odd time I have to F5 like a motherf*ck and click it again.

Gonna turn the option in the Bios tonight and give it a try, would be handy to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

You can email a colleague and get him to power it up. That's the only way you can get access to a PC that's off from your laptop. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

cheers people for the replies,will give it a go,not a major thing in work just wanted to know if & how it could be done,again cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

fionny wrote: »

I have this set on some of my remote machines and am able to power them on whenever I've tried in the past. Haven't needed to do it too often though.

I think that the "Wake On Magic Packet" needs to be enabled on the LAN card in the remote PC to have it constant (Done through the configuration TAB under the properties of the network connection)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Dulchie

I use http://ignatu.co.uk/SmartPower.aspx and LogMeIn.
    The SmartPower utility allows my remote machine wake up from Hibernate and resume Hibernate at pre set times.
    With LogMeIn I can then access my remote machine

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you need always on device at work that you can can get to send the WoL packets to the PC

this means you need to configure the firewall to relay WoL packets
    mess this up and you've a hole in the firewall
    in this economic climate you'd probably need written permission from your IT people to cover you ass if it goes pear shaped

or you could remote into another PC on the LAN

you need to set the sleep mode to S3
    you need to set WOL in the BIOS
    you need to set wake settings in the power options in the network card

What is the business need for this that justifies the risks involved ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

can anyone explain this to me...

If my pc is unplugged and I plug it in and send a magic packet it won't turn on.

If I plug in and turn on my pc and shut it down (not hiberate or stand by, full proper shutdown) but leave it plugged in, and then send the magic packet it will turn on. :\

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Spunog UIE wrote: »
    can anyone explain this to me...

If my pc is unplugged and I plug it in and send a magic packet it won't turn on.

If I plug in and turn on my pc and shut it down (not hiberate or stand by, full proper shutdown) but leave it plugged in, and then send the magic packet it will turn on. :\
    you need to set wake settings in the power options in the network card
    - in windows this is buried down in network card properties , you have to turn OFF power saving on the card

Advertisement