Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 12 - News/Details/Discussion Thread

Options
  • 13-05-2011 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭

fifa-12.jpg

FIFA 12: New features detailed as EA revamps gameplay - May 9th
    While many games in the sporting genre continue to offer little more than an upgrade to their predecessor, FIFA has come on leaps and bounds over the last few years implementing a wide range of game modes, online innovations and a truly outstanding game engine that works wonders to simulate the beautiful game. Though FIFA 11 was more of a refinement of FIFA 10’s issues than a further evolution of the series, it certainly didn't disappoint. However there was still plenty of room for improvement.

This year there are going to be some major changes. Not content with the beautiful game that FIFA 11 currently delivers, FIFA 12 looks to improve in almost every department. The latest issue of OXM speaks with Lead gameplay designer Aaron McHardy who reveals how the football on the pitch has been fine-tuned with precision dribbling, new defensive maneuvers and the ability to get injured while playing.

McHardy says you can injure your players by over-working them, or making a rash challenge, as well as through crunching tackles from your opponents. In defense, players will no longer be able to “press” opponents, but will instead be able to “contain,” jockeying them into a safe position before timing a tackle to perfection. Animations will also be overhauled to bring home the intensity of the tackle. Overall, McHardy claims the FIFA 12 Impact Engine now “gives us better accuracy, better momentum, more realistic outcomes, solving a lot of situations we tried not to get into before.”

Dribbling has also been enhanced and now, instead of having two changes of pace – slow and fast – players will have a third “jogging” speed they can use which aims to give us more control over the ball as well as the ability to dribble and shield. And you’re going need every trick in the book to work your way past defenses as A.I. in FIFA 12 is said be vastly improved.

Overall, OXM seemed bowled over by FIFA 12. "The result is physical play that looks astonishingly authentic,” says the author. "EA's hoping that by making defensive play more strategic, even nil-nil draws will be gripping." FIFA 12 is due for release in October, 2011.
    Link

FIFA 12: More details flood in
    5th May
    Details of the next Fifa game have appeared in the latest issue of OXM, outlining revamped controls for defenders and describing the new “impact engine,” which will take into account the size and strength of players in tussles, and calculate injuries more accurately.

The impact engine will give previously sluggish but powerful players a more important role on the pitch. Bigger players will be able to crash through defenders and win headers more easily, and brawny defenders will find it easier to shove flighty wingers off the ball. This has knock-on effects for the AI, too. Strong players will know to bully defenders in the box.

The impact engine calculates contact points when players tussle, and promises to improve the already excellent animation system we saw in Fifa 11. The game will track player body parts that are attacked most often, and calculate injuries based on the tackles suffered on each limb over the course of the match. Ongoing injuries will be especially important in career mode.

The engine upgrades ought to make tackling even more realistic, a point that should work well with the new defensive control system, which places greater emphasis on timing challenges perfectly. There’s now a button that will contain attackers. This will let you block their progress while before diving in to snatch the ball at the right moment.

Recent Fifa PC games have been playing catch up with the console versions. Fifa 11 came close to bringing the PC version up to scratch, hopefully this year’s edition will get it right. You’ll find all the latest on Fifa 12 in the latest issue of Official Xbox Magazine.
    Link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

FIFA 12 3DS Won't Feature Online Play

The Nintendo 3DS version of FIFA 12 won't feature any kind of online multiplayer, EA Sports has confirmed - it will still offer local multiplayer though.

This contradicts earlier reports, which stated that the game would feature head-to-head online matches using the consoles Wi-Fi capabilities. StreetPass and SpotPass will also be missing from FIFA 12.

"Currently, we only have local head-to-head play, but server-based online is certainly something we would be looking at in the future," producer Matt Prior told NintendoWorldReport.

The game is due for release at exactly the same time as the other FIFA 12 titles, but it seems as though the 3DS version may be the least impressive version.

fifa-12-3ds-wont-feature-online-play.jpg
    Link

FIFA 12 Advertisement Cast Revealed

According to Wayne Rooneys twitter, the FIFA 12 ad is in the can.

As well as Wayne, the ad stars Kaka, Benzema, Cahill and Pique. That’s all we know. Other than it looks good…

The FIFA 11 ad didn’t hit screens until mid september, so it’s unlikely we’ll see it for a while yet, but here’s hoping for more behind the scenes footage this time round too.

Rooney-Status-580x353.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Video.

:D:D:D:D

The impact engine looks awesome in that video!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Meh.

Looks bloody identical to last years bar a few new animations. If there is still over powered lobbed through balls,crappy headed goals, crappy corners, crappy bugs, crappy live season and all the same crap **** again this year...

Blah blah blah, every year they come up with some new tag line like "360 dribbling" or "personality plus" this year is it "impact engine"?

Since fifa 09 the game has been getting steadily worse.

• Advertisement

joe123 wrote: »
    Meh.

Looks bloody identical to last years bar a few new animations. If there is still over powered lobbed through balls,crappy headed goals, crappy corners, crappy bugs, crappy live season and all the same crap **** again this year...

Blah blah blah, every year they come up with some new tag line like "360 dribbling" or "personality plus" this year is it "impact engine"?

More than likely a lot of those will be toned down in FIFA 12....however rest assured, there will be a whole bunch of new ones to frustrate you! It's the circle of FIFA life I'm afraid, they have to have something to fix every year so they can keep selling it annually. Remember lobbed goals in FIFA 10?....poof gone in FIFA 11 and hello to lobbed through ball's instead! I remember years ago in an interview with a developer and he said they could pretty much make the perfect game but different exploits were introduced every year so consumers would complain and developers could promise to fix in the next installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

Yeah that looks like the same crap from this year, with added falling animations and injuries woohoo!

I can see it now the dramatic falling will just lead to more bundling, as it will be more difficult for the defender to reach the ball that he won with a good tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

Servers are going to be sick. <33333 FIFA BETA 12.. CAN'T WAIT.

Lamposts wrote: »
    Servers are going to be sick. <33333 FIFA BETA 12.. CAN'T WAIT.

After reading that I actually looked up to see if there is any mention of a beta after the disaster that was this years servers especially for ye club players.

Sadly no. It makes to much sense for them to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

joe123 wrote: »
    Meh.

Parawind wrote: »
    Yeah that looks like the same crap from this year, with added falling animations and injuries woohoo!

Together, both of you have more than 2,000 games played online.

Thats a lot of time to put into "crap", no? :confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Together, both of you have more than 2,000 games played online.

Thats a lot of time to put into "crap", no? :confused::confused:

Sadly its only after alot of Fifa played that you can really spot the faults of the game. Fifa is really the only game I regularly play on the xbox and add the fact that I love football im always in the mood for a few games of it. Still doesnt take away the fact that there is so much wrong with the game and I find it annoying how every year they then come out with some new catchy tag line as if its the be all and end all.

But nevermind all that I find it kind of creepy you went to the bother of checking how many games we played! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

For the love of god fix the clubs lag (I have dubbed it 'Rabies' :P). Nearly every match someone in the club gets rabies and god help you if its the any player and its past 5 minutes. 7 months and they still haven't fixed it. **** you EA, **** you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Looking forward to it. Details going to come out on Monday from a showcase in London...

Impact engine could be a stroke of genius or one of those really annoying touches. Always bothersome when players would just stumble over in previous versions. New defending touches could be good. Hoping for the best.

Loved FIFA 10 career mode - perhaps too much. Couldn't get into 11, whether that was because of the presentation (which I didn't love - seemed slower) or because I had to start all over again I don't know.

🤪

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Here's the impact engine at work

Here's the impact engine at work

Have to say I'm really liking the look of it, it adds a lot of realism to the game

Keno 92 wrote: »
    For the love of god fix the clubs lag (I have dubbed it 'Rabies' :P). Nearly every match someone in the club gets rabies and god help you if its the any player and its past 5 minutes. 7 months and they still haven't fixed it. **** you EA, **** you!!!

Clubs could be an amazing addition like Nazi Zombies was to COD if they handled it right.

As of 11 it's a mess.

LAG as you mention, still there two years in. Makes playing ANY a nightmare as you need a second after every press for it to register.

But also the team filling players are horrendous as well, they all turn like tanks, they feel like 1/2 star team players.
    Then to compound it, they let lads boost their players up to 99 making it an advantage to have more real players (so you have more players with use-able stats).

I'd like to see it along the lines of the FIWC where all players are rated the same.

I'd say most of us just wasted hours playing long friendlies against 1/2 star/custom teams to get the harder accomplishments anyway.... I wouldn't mind seeing the back of them.

FIFA 12 Screenshots Released From EA Sports

fifa-12-screenshot-0.jpg
    fifa-12-screenshot-1.jpg
    fifa-12-screenshot-2.jpg
    fifa-12-screenshot-3.jpg
    fifa-12-screenshot-4.jpg

Here are a few Q&A's from an interview Soccerlens had with David Rutter;

Soccerlens – What’s your favorite feature on FIFA 12?

David Rutter – The little flying birds in the stadium during matches

SL – Really?

DR – It's one of my favorites, but on a game playing note the tactical defending and precision dribbling

SL – How good are you on FIFA ?

DR – I am not bad but have played against a few really good people in FIFA World Cup tournaments, the Mexicans seem to produce some of the best players, French as well. I also find during the tournaments that English and Spanish players are very quiet and focused when they play FIFA

SL – How many people work on the team to produce the ideas behind FIFA 12 ?

DR – We have 18 different nationalities in the team that research football around the world to come up with ideas for the new game and it takes 12 months of planning to launch the game

I also found out that David is a Leicester City fan and his football hero is Gary Lineker!

Looking forward to the release of FIFA 12 (out in Fall).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

the way fifa 11 turned out plus the fact that fight night champion was a broken mess and the way EA were so grubby with Tiger Woods 12 doesnt fill me with any hope.

Remember Personality Plus? it was absolute rubbish overpowering the elite players and not helping players like Kevin Doyle(who should have had stamina and maybe heading traits) at all.

the impact engine is a piece of crap until we play the game and David Rutter is still a liar...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

I just want the game to work on release day.

Lamposts wrote: »
    I just want the game to work on release day.

They're working on a patch for that already, it should be out sometime in November!
    :pac:

• Advertisement

FIFA 12 : Official Gameplay Trailer
    EA Sports has released a gameplay teaser trailer for FIFA 12, ahead of E3, which showcases a number of new features in the game – all with in-game footage.

EA Sports has been ramping up anticipation for the upcoming FIFA 12 game, whether intentionally or not. The game is set to bring a lot more realism and dynamic physics into the series – getting rid of the long-standing problems of repetitive animations.

With E3 2011 coming up in just a few days, they’ve just released a one-minute teaser video that offers fans a short summary of new goodies that FIFA 12 will have available.

The video showcases most of the new features, which focus on the physics, as players collide and react to people moving in close-quarters around them. Intense, short-area movement of the ball has been fine-tuned in FIFA 12, so expect a lot of trickery and flair in what would have been otherwise predictable scenarios – in the earlier FIFA games.

The video itself is comprised of actual in-game footage, so take a look at the action and judge for yourself:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

I can't wait for FIFA 12! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

wake up and smell the sh*t lads its the exact same game as fifa 10 its a joke watch this video

wake up and smell the sh*t lads its the exact same game as fifa 10 its a joke watch this video

Why FIFA 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I hope they improve the career mode. There are loads of problems with it. The way players improve seems very random in 11. Some players gain stats when you don't play them and some don't gain at all and you are playing them week in and week out.

I hope they revamp the transfer system too. It improved in 11 over 10 but it's still not great.

Finally I hope they do something about the menus. Very unresponsive.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

I think he's the most annoying **** I've ever listened to. Apart from maybe Lee Evans

I think he's the most annoying **** I've ever listened to. Apart from maybe Lee Evans

And you can do what he did in that video to any trailer or teaser, he thought he was being funny by being negative, but it didn't work!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

NUTZZ wrote: »
    And you can do what he did in that video to any trailer or teaser, he thought he was being funny by being negative, but it didn't work!

yes it did work, fifa fanboys fail to acknowledge it:D. its true everything he is saying you could do all these features in the last few fifa's,its just a money racket at this stage there not even making a real effort to improve the game.
    Why FIFA 10?

why not? fifa 11 is the exact same.
    he maybe but he speaks the truth, a fifa fanboys worst nightmare.

why not? fifa 11 is the exact same.

Maybe it's just me, but I think there is a massive difference between the gameplay in FIFA 10 and FIFA 11.

• Advertisement

yes it did work, fifa fanboys fail to acknowledge it:D. its true everything he is saying you could do all these features in the last few fifa's,its just a money racket at this stage there not even making a real effort to improve the game.

You do realize the game has months left in development? This is a teaser, it doesn't outline every new feature in the game or represent the final product. It's merely to show us a glimpse of what they are working on.

And I am most definiltey not a fanboy, I was an ISS/PES fan for years before I moved to FIFA when it started slipping up. I go with which ever is the better football game, and for me that's FIFA at the moment.

What more do you want them to add it, the principles of football haven't changed since the first games were developed, you pass, shoot and tackle. They can't make up new features, it's a football sim

Advertisement