Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 12 - News/Details/Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Not very impressed tbh
    the one thing i do like is that substitutions don't have to load up. it just happens.
    They haven't changed much and if it want for playing online then id not bother upgrading

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

People who think tackling is ****e just dont understand it yet.

FIFA 11 was hold A, your player would get into position to make a tackle and then make the tackle.

FIFA 12 you hold A to get your player into a position to make a tackle then press B to make the tackle.

If you dive in too early you get punished, and tackling now has some risk attached. It's a giant step in the right direction for me, and its annoying to know most people will probably go back to the 'Homing missle' tacking and complain how "It's too much like FIFA 11".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Mikey - how does the precision dribbling work? My guys seem a bit.....stiff in movement. Hold LT all the time? Sprint a lot? Just run?

Any advice on the long shots? I seem to be too conservative on the power bar!

🤪

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Downloading atm,33%,this is gonna take a lifetime :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    People who think tackling is ****e just dont understand it yet.

FIFA 11 was hold A, your player would get into position to make a tackle and then make the tackle.

FIFA 12 you hold A to get your player into a position to make a tackle then press B to make the tackle.

If you dive in too early you get punished, and tackling now has some risk attached. It's a giant step in the right direction for me, and its annoying to know most people will probably go back to the 'Homing missle' tacking and complain how "It's too much like FIFA 11".

Agree with all of that. Will take a bit of getting used to, but I expect it will be a great improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

minor changes thats all they are really, lot of people think there big but there not really. fifa heads will get the hang of this in a matter of days its the same every year.

Any one else feel that the through balls are very overpowered? Maybe its just manual, any one else notice it??

I'm sure its just a bit of getting used to.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Installing at last,after a 1 and half hrs wait,were there any changes to the supporters?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

how do you chance back to fifa 11 style defending in the demo?

and yes i know how the defending works but i just plain and simple do not like it and like the old way better.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    how do you chance back to fifa 11 style defending in the demo?

and yes i know how the defending works but i just plain and simple do not like it and like the old way better.

Settings> Wireless Controller Settings> Defending = Legacy Defending.

Defending is the bottom of the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Any word on changes Manager Mode ?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Have to say even with the legacy defending it feels very different to last year, you dont really hone in and tackle like last year , i think its because last year your player would speed up right beside the player with the ball and then tackle but this year seems to be alot slowrer and pressing A seems to go to containing from a distance then slowly into the tackle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

It's much better in every aspect.
    Dribbling this year (as opposed to the 360 dribbling last year) is way better, ye have much more control and you can actually run around players without getting knocked over. If you have analogue sprinting on, you can accelerate similar to the acceleration in driving games with the right trigger. Much more variable and much more diverse outcomes.

Defending, much better with the tactical defending as it actually takes prediction, timing and good positioning to defend well. I haven't tried the legacy defending but seeing as its optional, I assume after a month or two, mastering the tactical defending should be an advantage against people using the old 'hold a forever to tackle indefinitely'.

Shooting is quite improved I noticed. Timing of volleys is either easier or I just didn't understand it in previous versions.

Manual passing (I never use any auto) is better, because last year ye couldn't hit the passes hard enough to get a good through ball along the ground now ye can. Combined with more slick player movement, it makes the game. Anyone who doesn't play manual, yer missing out on 50% of the brilliance of the game. It's a big learning curve at the start (I started back in 09) but it's 100 times more satisfying.

The one thing that can still be improved on is a better 'player run' system. I find myself tapping L1 about 3 or 4 times before my inbred forward player decides to listen to me and make a run. I think there is scope for a great system whereby you can make the player go in the exact line you want them to. But that's something for next year hopefully.

Overall - best fifa by far.

Any one know to do the new tricks as seen in the video below??

Answer to my own question here:

Some of them look delish I have to say.

Played a few games...dont know what to make of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tommy89

Think ill probably go with the legacy defending when the game comes out. After playing for a few hours this evening I just don't like the tactical defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

joe123 wrote: »
    The new tactical defending is very strange. Can see it being very hard to win back possession off someone whos playing keep ball.

It also feels really uncomfortable holding the contain (RB) button, trying to sprint with your own player into a position and holding your thumb over the x,y,a and b buttons.

My big question is will online play let you switch from tactical defending back to legacy defending (the old fifa11,10,9 etc one).
    If they do then surely they wasted time and effort making tactical defending as everyone will just switch to the old method as its easier and it will seem really pointless promoting a feature no one will use anyways.

Im still trying to figure out the reason they even put the old method of defending in the game seeing as they were trying so hard to promote tactical defending :confused:

You can remap controls to whatever you want. That's what I did. RB was a bad button to select by default from EA. Remapping is much better.

It's harder to dispossess the AI than it will be to dispossess a person. The AI is so robotic if you will excuse the obvious. It turns away EVERY time you approach him. A person wont do that.

Lastly, you wont be able to use legacy defending online or in ranked. EA has said so. It's much easier than the new system so it will be disabled for online. A good decision imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Kirby wrote: »
    You can remap controls to whatever you want. That's what I did. RB was a bad button to select by default from EA. Remapping is much better.

It's harder to dispossess the AI than it will be to dispossess a person. The AI is so robotic if you will excuse the obvious. It turns away EVERY time you approach him. A person wont do that.

Lastly, you wont be able to use legacy defending online or in ranked. EA has said so. It's much easier than the new system so it will be disabled for online. A good decision imo.

Yeah im going to have to switch it. Good news if they disable the legacy defending for online as it would be utterly pointless otherwise.

I havent played against any human players yet but against the cpu on the hardest difficulty you could nearly be waiting an entire half without getting the ball and when you do you have to hang on to it.

However playing fifa 12 against good players could well end up be infuriating. I can imagine alot of time wasting passing along the back four craic from players. Im imagining it would be literally impossible get the ball back with tactical defending.

From what I can tell its nearly pointless tapping X to stick out a leg and nick the ball away as more often than not the player misses. Your just better off holding the contain and running your own player into them or wait for them to give a bad pass.

Real test will be human v human and especially online play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Settings> Wireless Controller Settings> Defending = Legacy Defending.

Defending is the bottom of the list.

cheers :)

will this bring back the O button function where they run toward the attacked and tackle him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

MarkY91 wrote: »
    cheers :)

will this bring back the O button function where they run toward the attacked and tackle him ?

i think thats RB now - awkward as fúck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Still cant get used to this tackling aahhh...just downlading PES demo2 must see wat its like...on another note this whole EA SPORTS ARENA is probaly gonna be a big part of the Fifa12 which i feel is quite a shame cause it actually gets quite addictive..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

I dont even use the contain button, x. Dont think its really necessary, I usually just tap L1 to highlight a player and manually jockey the player then tap O to nick it. Was struggling when I was holding x to contain and then switching to the O button but found not holding x at all helped.
    They should of just had had the x button to tackle/nick it off from the very start of the fifas on ps3 instead of making it noob friendly. If anybody remembers PES on ps2 this was how it was, you couldnt just hold x and your player would automatically close down and win the ball, you had to move your player with the analog and then press x to win.:rolleyes:
    I think the contain button does moreless the same as the jockey button which is L2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Good stuff. It would make the feature completely pointless otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭purpleblaa

Trailers and new skills make this look awesome. May have to download the demo tonight. Can't wait for the full game to come out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Couple of goals for you.

http://www.ea.com/uk/football/videos/ugc/93337415

http://www.ea.com/uk/football/videos/ugc/93343570

On Legendary even though it says amatuer for every replay. Thats a bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Whaaat a hit son! What a hit!
    (R.I.P andy gray) (Actually even though that was a joke RIP, not RIP coz I prefer the new commentary, much less annoying (maybe just because there's an overhaul of content)) woah, a lot of brackets used there...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Setup a thread for posting your goals to

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056391415

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Xbox League Sign Up for anyone properly interested

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056391462

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Still liking it. Have to change my playstyle quite a lit - take more out of possession and be comfortable without it :) Doing ok with defending, struggling a little with the precision dribbling - don't seem to be able to unlock defences with Messi as others have been saying.

The new push/pull button could be great for online when people lamp the ball over the top to Ronaldo, etc.

Need to get the hang of distance shooting - often goes wide or straight into keeper's arms.

Quick throw-in is actually a handy feature. I thought it would be pointless, seems as the clock stops anyway...but then I got a goal from one earlier and suddenly it's a great feature :D

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Still liking it. Have to change my playstyle quite a lit - take more out of possession and be comfortable without it :) Doing ok with defending, struggling a little with the precision dribbling - don't seem to be able to unlock defences with Messi as others have been saying.

The new push/pull button could be great for online when people lamp the ball over the top to Ronaldo, etc.

Need to get the hang of distance shooting - often goes wide or straight into keeper's arms.

Quick throw-in is actually a handy feature. I thought it would be pointless, seems as the clock stops anyway...but then I got a goal from one earlier and suddenly it's a great feature :D

+1 But the bloody demo is too short:pac: I probably wont play it now til the actual release cos ya need at leaset 7 min halves to get a proper feel for the game. But its gonna be a gud un I reckon:)

Advertisement