Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 12 - News/Details/Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

joe123 wrote: »
    Wow im shocked by the amount of people that are playing the Fifa 12 early release. Paying 25 quid for a few days early of playing fifa and then having to fork out another 40-55 quid! Seems like a complete rip off to me or am I missing something? :confused:

Anyways would be interested to know what is it like to play online h2h. Without the pressure system I have visions of games turning into one guy getting a goal and passing it round his back four for the rest of the game.

Also is there any option to turn back to the legacy defending mode for online play?

Legacy is obviously disabled for all forms ranked play online. The game is balanced around the new system.

With regards with passing around the back.....if it takes you longer than 60 seconds or so to get the ball back, you are doing something wrong. Don't just run after him like a headless chicken, force him into the corner so he has to dribble past you or boot it. It's not hard and for the life of me I dont understand why some people have issue battling this tactic. People have been complaining for like 4 iterations of fifa about it. It's like real football, if you dont press, you wont win it back.

Create a high pressure tactic for the d-pad, bring up a CB, call second defender and block the pass. After 3 or 4 turns they make a mistake and you win it back and score. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Kirby wrote: »
    Legacy is obviously disabled for all forms ranked play online. The game is balanced around the new system.

With regards with passing around the back.....if it takes you longer than 60 seconds or so to get the ball back, you are doing something wrong. Don't just run after him like a headless chicken, force him into the corner so he has to dribble past you or boot it. It's not hard and for the life of me I dont understand why some people have issue battling this tactic. People have been complaining for like 4 iterations of fifa about it. It's like real football, if you dont press, you wont win it back.

Create a high pressure tactic for the d-pad, bring up a CB, call second defender and block the pass. After 3 or 4 turns they make a mistake and you win it back and score. Simples.

Just thinking there was a chance considering you could turn off that pro passing thing from last year although it made little difference.

The passing round the back 4 is a really hard tactic play against. If you play some of the top players on fifa 11 and they start that tactic its ridiculously hard get the ball back hence why if you're caught doing it in money tournaments it results in a disqualification.

EDIT: Im just going on playing the demo for Fifa 12 and at times you could go nearly a whole half with the computer hanging onto the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭FYG

Just thinking there was a chance considering you could turn off that pro passing thing from last year although it made little difference.

No, because nearly everyone would resort to the old way of defending as it requires no skill and all you have to do is spam L2 and X to win the ball back. I'm in favour of a more skilled defensive system.

FYG wrote: »
    No, because nearly everyone would resort to the old way of defending as it requires no skill and all you have to do is spam L2 and X to win the ball back. I'm in favour of a more skilled defensive system.

If you won the ball back by spamming l2 and x then the level of player you were playing must of been ****e lol!

Anways im happy they dont allow people to resort back to the old system, but knowing the way EA work it wouldnt of suprised me if they had done something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The passing round the back 4 is a really hard tactic play against. If you play some of the top players on fifa 11 and they start that tactic its ridiculously hard get the ball back hence why if you're caught doing it in money tournaments it results in a disqualification.

EDIT: Im just going on playing the demo for Fifa 12 and at times you could go nearly a whole half with the computer hanging onto the ball.

not true. Players who just try the back four are poorer and therefore make mistakes. Lads around 7k points werent good, they just played alot.

"top" fifa players as you put it, can keep the ball by pinging it from back to front to back again. They don't limit themselves to back four as thats asking for trouble. A few of the sharks on Virgin gaming were very good at this so I'm sure you saw this yourself. This is no different from real football. The best players won't let you get the ball. Barcelona have over 70% possession in nearly every game they play. The top lads on fifa will have the same. The newbs doing back four shenannigans are average and you should be dispossessing them sharpish.

Regarding the Demo, It could get annoying yeh. Mostly down to the 3 min a half thing tho. The demo has AI, which is scripted to turn away every time you approach in the same way....a player is different. The quickest way to get the ball off the AI was to actually back off as once they hit the final third, they run into you.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    not true. Players who just try the back four are poorer and therefore make mistakes. Lads around 7k points werent good, they just played alot.

"top" fifa players as you put it, can keep the ball by pinging it from back to front to back again. They don't limit themselves to back four as thats asking for trouble. A few of the sharks on Virgin gaming were very good at this so I'm sure you saw this yourself. This is no different from real football. The best players won't let you get the ball. Barcelona have over 70% possession in nearly every game they play. The top lads on fifa will have the same. The newbs doing back four shenannigans are average and you should be dispossessing them sharpish.

Regarding the Demo, It could get annoying yeh. Mostly down to the 3 min a half thing tho. The demo has AI, which is scripted to turn away every time you approach in the same way....a player is different. The quickest way to get the ball off the AI was to actually back off as once they hit the final third, they run into you.

Its actually quite rare you'd come across someone on virgin gaming who would do that tactic but now and again you would get someone trying it just to be a dick really.

Problem is your comparing lads that would have around 5000k points whod be average at the game trying it.

By playing in money tournaments I became a better player myself so id be pretty confident of hanging onto the ball all over the pitch and this was in a game where you could pressure constantly. Im just thinking if I start playing Fifa 12 like I do Fifa 11 it could make it really hard for someone to get the ball back or vice versa. If im playing in a tournament final for 50 quid and I go a goal down to a quality player....it could be torture!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

Frankly it looks like most games of FIFA 12 will go like this:

Not sure i could put up with this kind of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Parawind wrote: »

Well... Then dont.

If someone did that against me, I would quit. Whats the bloody point? If he wants, no, NEEDS the rank points that much then he can have them.

I stopped playing ranked matches in FIFA 08. Why? Because every chav on every street in England buys FIFA and for some reason they think that a good record makes them look 'Well 'ard' or 'massive' or some ****. So I play in leagues, I play with mates, I play in clubs and I play career mode, because FIFA is the only game I get more than 2 months play out of. I stopped letting petty crap like the video you posted bother me because if a video game is not fun then it defeats the purpose. If someone outplays me, I appreciate it and learn from it, Im sure you do too. But if someone is acting the maggot, just like is someone is team killing in COD etc. Just leave. FIFA ranking points mean absolutely nothing. Sure if your going for #1 in Ireland, fair dues, but you dont get anything at the end of it. I played ranked games when it meant the #1 in a given country meant going and representing that country in the FIWC, where ultimately someone would exploit a glitch to win and I could say to an EA developer face to face "So, that won't be in next year then?".

FIFA online has by far the worst community ive ever seen. It wont get better. The sooner you accept that the better and you can move on and enjoy the game for what it is, not what some dick with a name like "Sergio Aguero x" makes it... Honestly, if I saw "Sergio Aguero x" as a gamertag, alarm bells would ring immediately :pac:

That's it exactly, nobody wants to put up with that kind of thing but the new engine seems to encourage that "style" of play. My worry is that the majority of players will play like this as soon as they get a lead in a match.

Would love to know if some of the people who got the early access have come up against this type of thing yet?

Frankly it looks like most games of FIFA 12 will go like this:

I don't see how 12 is any different from 11 or 10 tbh.

You could do that in any of them, doesn't look any more possible tbh.

As I said above and this lad does the opposite, DON'T chase the ball, stick standing near the CB's.
    That lad kept foolishly chasing the ball and you can see how many times it comes back into one of the CB's after a pass or two out.

Also set up a 2-3-5 style formation/high pressure tactic.

Thankfully I didn't have much of this in the past, the last time I recall it happening I turned the game around and did the same to him for the rest of the game :D

A good player though won't pass it around their half, I'll run the line for throws/corners and pass it around THEIR half where I can at least get in for another goal.

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Well... Then dont.

If someone did that against me, I would quit. Whats the bloody point? If he wants, no, NEEDS the rank points that much then he can have them.

I stopped playing ranked matches in FIFA 08. Why? Because every chav on every street in England buys FIFA and for some reason they think that a good record makes them look 'Well 'ard' or 'massive' or some ****. So I play in leagues, I play with mates, I play in clubs and I play career mode, because FIFA is the only game I get more than 2 months play out of. I stopped letting petty crap like the video you posted bother me because if a video game is not fun then it defeats the purpose. If someone outplays me, I appreciate it and learn from it, Im sure you do too. But if someone is acting the maggot, just like is someone is team killing in COD etc. Just leave. FIFA ranking points mean absolutely nothing. Sure if your going for #1 in Ireland, fair dues, but you dont get anything at the end of it. I played ranked games when it meant the #1 in a given country meant going and representing that country in the FIWC, where ultimately someone would exploit a glitch to win and I could say to an EA developer face to face "So, that won't be in next year then?".

FIFA online has by far the worst community ive ever seen. It wont get better. The sooner you accept that the better and you can move on and enjoy the game for what it is, not what some dick with a name like "Sergio Aguero x" makes it... Honestly, if I saw "Sergio Aguero x" as a gamertag, alarm bells would ring immediately :pac:

Or don't let them go a goal up. Problem solved :P

That's it exactly, nobody wants to put up with that kind of thing but the new engine seems to encourage that "style" of play. My worry is that the majority of players will play like this as soon as they get a lead in a match.

Would love to know if some of the people who got the early access have come up against this type of thing yet?

That's pretty much what I was debating with Hokem about. I just don't understand why the developers couldn't of just made your ai teammates all push up once you switch to high pressure instead of having only two of your team push up.

Having to create a formation and mess with tactics shouldn't be needed IMO just to counteract that. Plus wouldn't you need to pause the game to change formation and to do that you need to get hold of the ball??

Or don't let them go a goal up. Problem solved :P

You know what, that never occured to me. Thank you for letting me in on this little gem, the problem is now completely sorted! :rolleyes:

As for changing formation, joe hit the nail on the head you'd need to win the ball back to do this. You have to see the problem here, your not able to pressure with more then 2 players and the second player doesn't even tackle, they get to within 4 yards and then stand off the player in possession. This means that if someone is playing 4-4-2 for example they will always have 3 passing options as a defender, so its extremely easy to keep the ball just with a simple A pass.

You know what, that never occured to me. Thank you for letting me in on this little gem, the problem is now completely sorted! :rolleyes:

Calm down pal it was only a joke hence the stick out the tongue face.

Some people on here have to start taking fifa a lot less seriously.

The game isn't even released yet and people are looking for reasons already to complain.

Maybe play the game for a bit of fun and you might enjoy it a lot more.

Quit thinking about your online record etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Back Prince

I've played online about 10 or so times and havent once come across that passing along the back four. Out of them games about 8 of them were against city. So expect to be playing them alot. But im loving the new online system its good fun adds a bit of excitement if your going for promotion or avoiding relegation. The finesse shot has been eased down. Not so many lb + y so far and the keepers have improved so much. I'm really enjoying it so far. Career is a good laugh. Everything seems normal in terms of results and such.

9/10 on eurogamer http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-25-fifa-12-review?page=2

Looking forward to trying to get used to the new defending system.

Probably take a while but each review Ive read has said its a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Holy crap! Remy from OM just scored an overhead kick against me straight from a Rory Delap esq long throw!

Out of them games about 8 of them were against city. So expect to be playing them alot.

Dam :(... they were my team in 2011, I loved picking them, was rare to find anyone else who did as well.
    All the backs were fast and strong, Silva had the playmaker perk(i.e could give proper through ball passes along the ground) and Yaya could score long shots due to shot power.

Guess I'll have to find some other team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Someone probably has already mentioned this,(im too lazy to read old comments} but fifa 12 has been very well reviewed so far, ign gave it a 9.5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY9uZWCh4go. On metacritic it holds an accumulated rating of 9.2.

Cant wait now for Friday!

Edit: Lol copy and pasted wrong link. Well at least I posted a funny video, theme tune of song/ dance that made my hilarious weekend in the capital! Long story

anyway actual link http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1195975p2.html

The game isn't even released yet and people are looking for reasons already to complain.

lol not sure you picked up the tone of my comment the way it was meant. I was taking the piss too!

Pretty sure anyone posting here takes the game somewhat seriously, but i don't really care about my online record. I want to have fun playing FIFA and thats the point i'm trying to make. If the players who do take it seriously are going to play this way, then its not going to be much fun to play against.

I don't want to find fault in the game, i want it to be fun more then anything. I was merely voicing a concern and asking if people had encountered it.

Also please only take reviews into account for the single player side of the game, FIFA always scores extremely highly regardless of how good the game actually is.

If i were to complain it would be about the fact that numerous bugs from last years engine still exist, very few new features have been added (i'm sorry but we have been running on the same engine since FIFA 09, just slightly tweaked each year) and EA think this justifies a price increase....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Fowler87

lol not sure you picked up the tone of my comment the way it was meant. I was taking the piss too!

Pretty sure anyone posting here takes the game somewhat seriously, but i don't really care about my online record. I want to have fun playing FIFA and thats the point i'm trying to make. If the players who do take it seriously are going to play this way, then its not going to be much fun to play against.

I don't want to find fault in the game, i want it to be fun more then anything. I was merely voicing a concern and asking if people had encountered it.

Also please only take reviews into account for the single player side of the game, FIFA always scores extremely highly regardless of how good the game actually is.

If i were to complain it would be about the fact that numerous bugs from last years engine still exist, very few new features have been added (i'm sorry but we have been running on the same engine since FIFA 09, just slightly tweaked each year) and EA think this justifies a price increase....

Thats a good thing though. If there were major changes the game would steep in quality similar to PES when they moved onto 3rd gen..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

LOL think a lot of us know that Macken is a guy that doesnt care about his ranking points all that much. now storybud on the other hand.......

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

Not similar but kinda the same, I stopped playing fifa 11 online because of people non stop picking Barca and Real, I would give whoever I was plying against a chance to pick someone different or I would back out, Why can't 2 people online have a great stoke vs Aston Villa match. Best games I ever played were against my friends when we pick random Korean or Seria B teams etc...

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Thats a good thing though. If there were major changes the game would steep in quality similar to PES when they moved onto 3rd gen..

Well it's not a bad engine but surely after 4 FIFA's of it you would imagine things should have advanced quite a bit more then they have. Just think about the progress between FIFA 09-12, with the exception of the be a pro goalkeeper, the rest of the advancements have been small changes to the same engine. Since FIFA 09, when FIFA started dominating the market, they have been either getting complacent or they are afraid that a new engine may lose them some of their market share. This is where i think the problem lies in FIFA 12. This new defensive system is a great idea, but it needs to be used in a newer engine built from the ground up to support it. The problem here is we have this new defensive system tacked on to the same old engine and so it just doesn't seem to fit together.

While tweaking a good engine to try to get the best out of it is a good idea, we end up getting sold marketing nonsense like "personality plus" (Which did nothing other then call a player with 90+ sprint speed a speedster etc.) to sell the same repackaged engine. I long for the day when there was competition, remember it was that competition with Pro Evo that brought about this good engine and without EA just haven't needed to make the advancements that we should have seen.

Anyway rant over that just my two cents on the matter.
    corcaigh07 wrote: »
    LOL think a lot of us know that Macken is a guy that doesnt care about his ranking points all that much. now storybud on the other hand.......

*Insert Gollum image here*

Oh god I was watching a video on youtube and it showed Suarez....

Looks.....nothing.....like....him!!!

Not to mention poor auld lucas and Andy Carroll! Yad think they could of made decent faces for players at that level especially when you consider Fifa 12 is nothing more than a mere annual update!

Oh god I was watching a video on youtube and it showed Suarez....

Looks.....nothing.....like....him!!!

Not to mention poor auld lucas and Andy Carroll! Yad think they could of made decent faces for players at that level especially when you consider Fifa 12 is nothing more than a mere annual update!

Just had a look at the video, that's just silly. I can understand it for kelly and some of the younger players but for the big players you would have thought they would do most of them. Also Henderson looked more like himself in FIFA 11, which is an odd one.

Have a look at the stats video on youtube, they don't even try anymore. Lucas who was liverpool's player of the season is rated 78 overall and yet Steven Gerrard who was out for 6 months with injury went up from 86 to 87....:eek: How can a player who didn't play get better?

Just had a look at the video, that's just silly. I can understand it for kelly and some of the younger players but for the big players you would have thought they would do most of them. Also Henderson looked more like himself in FIFA 11, which is an odd one.

Have a look at the stats video on youtube, they don't even try anymore. Lucas who was liverpool's player of the season is rated 78 overall and yet Steven Gerrard who was out for 6 months with injury went up from 86 to 87....:eek: How can a player who didn't play get better?

I got a role with them being a data reviewer (basically just give suggestions/feedback and hope they take it on board). One of the teams I got was Liverpool and believe me when I say I tried so many times to convince them to up Lucas' stats. Nothing major but things like tackling, interceptions, strength. Wanted at least to get him to an overall of around 82 which would of been fair.I Also told them Gerrard was over rated for a player whos been poor the last year plus 6 months injured and they told me that he was a Liverpool legend and an important part of the England team and I was completely wrong to even suggest dropping so many of his stats!

Sums up what theyre about. They take people on to help them with the database and when people try and help 90% of the time we are just dismissed.

Took me an age to convince them Andy Carroll was really good in the air....going by his real life form this season I think I should of kept quiet! :P

Its like pulling teeth trying to get them to take on board anything though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

boiledeggs wrote: »
    Not similar but kinda the same, I stopped playing fifa 11 online because of people non stop picking Barca and Real, I would give whoever I was plying against a chance to pick someone different or I would back out, Why can't 2 people online have a great stoke vs Aston Villa match. Best games I ever played were against my friends when we pick random Korean or Seria B teams etc...
    That's the exact reason i stopped playing Fifa 10 and did'nt bother playing the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

boiledeggs wrote: »

Apparently you pick your team before searching for a game now. So, 3 star team players will be put together and same with those that only play 5 star...

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Apparently you pick your team before searching for a game now. So, 3 star team players will be put together and same with those that only play 5 star...
    Yeah, you pick your team, jersey, formation/squad prior to searching for an opponent. Yet to see what happens if you've both picked similar coloured jerseys. As for the matching up, I'm putting it down to the limited number of players online, it's happy enough for a similar setup to be Stoke on manual (with 3 at the back, expecting a similar ranked team :eek:) against Chelsea or Real Madrid on assisted. Managed to win a couple, so that kept me appeased. That scenario should change as the number of players goes up though. Hopefully.

Playing online seasons, there's no extra time or penalties option available, a draw is a draw. That should keep those who hated the penalties relatively happy. They were my best shot at winning games though, loved the system! :pac:

Advertisement