Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spanish Channels

• 13-05-2011 8:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi Folks

New to the forum and apologies as I am sure this question has been asked a lot. But I was wondering what the best satellite box to get for watching spanish channels.

I am based in Bray and would be using a sky dish. One person did recommend the Pansat 9200, because it automatically updates itself with channels, is that right. Price would be a bit of an issue so I am open to suggestion

I am fairly clueless with this stuff and was looking for a bit of expert advice.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

The best source for free spanish tv is on a satellite called Hispasat located at 30 degrees West.

Any free to air box will receive it, but you will not be able to use a Sky dish, for two reasons.

Firstly , it is in a different position to the satellite used by Sky and secondly, it requires a larger dish. Your best bet would be to install an 80cm dish and a motor to reposition it (the sat receiver controls the motor).

With a dish and motor you can 'aim' at over 20 different satellites in an arc from east to west. Your Sky dish is pointed at a specific satellite carrying mainly Sky and other UK based services (B BC ITV) - it is also too small to receive many of the other satellites available (even if re-positioned to point at them).

Your best bet would be to talk to an installer - it can be tricky to set up a motorised system, if you are trying it for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

If it is just Spanish channels you need then you can ignore the motor and save yourself a few euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

Wow, okay that sounds complicated.

In fairness you have explained it well and I know what you mean about the dish positioning. It was actaully an installer who recommended that box and he said he could position the dish, is that true or am I being led up the garden path.

Might be handier to move to Spain :)

thanks by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

It really is not difficult to have a motorised dish installed. You are better off having it done professionally but the cost won't be extortionate and you will get a lot of free to air TV from all over Europe, Africa and the Middle East.

An 80cm dish is the minimum size but you will also get the UK Freesat channels at 28.2 East (the standard Sky position). The standard Spanish channels such as TVE1, TV2 and Antena 3 are not free to air and therefore you will need a subscription package such as the Spanish Canal+ to watch them. However many of the Spanish regional channels are FTA from Hispasat as it TVE Internacional and Canal 24 Horas, the news channel.

No need to move to Spain!

Cheers folks appreciate the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

A frustrating feature of getting Spanish TV is that is it complicated by 2 factors:
    • Spanish TV is being broadcast from a number of different satellites
    • Many of the channels are not free (this is always the way)
    So apart from 'Hotbird @ 13° East' the choices are:
    • Astra 1 @ 19.2° East: contains channels such as such as Andalucia TV, Canal Canarias ....
    • Hispasat @ 30.0° West: contains channels such as Canal Portada, Solidaria TV ....

Yikes, I think it is primarily TV5 that my chick wants, looks a little tricky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

ledgebag1 wrote: »
    Yikes, I think it is primarily TV5 that my chick wants, looks a little tricky

yeah, it's not ideal alright, be handier for everyone concerned if they were all on the one satellite but not uncommon, the free French stations suffer this problem too. As stated above, a good professional installer will be able to sort you out whether you go the motorised route or not. Good luck with it.

Should check out http://www.isaa.tv/wicklow.htm only got the one listed there but the isaa don't let cowboys in.

Brilliant I really appreciate that, thanks a million

Advertisement