Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Restrictions for the Queen

Options
  • 13-05-2011 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

So with the Queen coming next week (right?) does anyone know the full set of traffic restrictions that are going to be in place and when? So far this week I've encountered closed roads with no notice or signs, which has been annoying, but next week it'll affect my work..

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

"The City Centre areas of South Link Road (Inbound), Station Road, Anglesea Street, South Mall, Grand Parade, Patrick Street, Academy Street, Washington Street, Sheares Street, and Dyke Parade will be closed to traffic from 1000 hrs on the 20th May 2011.

No parking will be allowed on this route from 1800 hrs the previous evening the 19th May 2011.

This will also affect deliveries and services as barriers will be placed along the route. Arrangements should be made to have deliveries prior to 1800hrs on the 19th May 2011. The service providers in the city centre have been consulted and are aware of this restriction."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

evilivor wrote: »
    "The City Centre areas of South Link Road (Inbound), Station Road, Anglesea Street, South Mall, Grand Parade, Patrick Street, Academy Street, Washington Street, Sheares Street, and Dyke Parade will be closed to traffic from 1000 hrs on the 20th May 2011.

No parking will be allowed on this route from 1800 hrs the previous evening the 19th May 2011.

This will also affect deliveries and services as barriers will be placed along the route. Arrangements should be made to have deliveries prior to 1800hrs on the 19th May 2011. The service providers in the city centre have been consulted and are aware of this restriction."

Hey Evilivor - do you know if we will be able to drive into the city on Friday morning to get to work - have off-street parking but am curious to know if we will be able to access it. I did ring the council and left message asking them to give me a call back but that was yesterday and I've not heard a thing.:confused:

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Hey Evilivor - do you know if we will be able to drive into the city on Friday morning to get to work - have off-street parking but am curious to know if we will be able to access it. I did ring the council and left message asking them to give me a call back but that was yesterday and I've not heard a thing.:confused:

All I know is that they are encouraging people not to drive into the city centre - they want people to use the parnk and ride and, having experience of the time the city centre was sealed off for the Tour de France, I'ds say that would be your best bet.

Thanks for that Evilivor - might do that or may be really good and just walk. Maybe the Queen will be responsible for getting the whole city up and exercising;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

evilivor wrote: »
    All I know is that they are encouraging people not to drive into the city centre - they want people to use the parnk and ride and, having experience of the time the city centre was sealed off for the Tour de France, I'ds say that would be your best bet.

a fright to God you can't even get into your own city centre over this one woman coming over

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Hmm, so if I follow the no. 10 bus route along Ballinlough Road, along South Terrace and the quays and up by St. Finbarre's, I should be able to get to UCC okay, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'm guessing they'll have South Terrace closed, are they not shutting the city centre?

Faith wrote: »
    Hmm, so if I follow the no. 10 bus route along Ballinlough Road, along South Terrace and the quays and up by St. Finbarre's, I should be able to get to UCC okay, right?

Yeah, or you could walk down High Street and along Douglas street right down to Barrack street, and then head over to St. Finbarre's. I think this would be a bit shorter for you.:)

Daegerty wrote: »
    a fright to God you can't even get into your own city centre over this one woman coming over

You can get in - you just can't drive in - same as on when the St Patrick's Day parade, the Cork City Marathon or that religious parade the catholics do, is on.

dulpit wrote: »
    I'm guessing they'll have South Terrace closed, are they not shutting the city centre?

It's not listed above though...
    Cork Lass wrote: »
    Yeah, or you could walk down High Street and along Douglas street right down to Barrack street, and then head over to St. Finbarre's. I think this would be a bit shorter for you.:)

I'll be driving. The walk from Blackrock to UCC might be a bit much! :)

But yeah, I could go up through Deerpark or something if I have to. Pain in the ass though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Head to P&R in Pouladuff and get the free bus to UCC? I wouldn't imagine the car park being too busy during exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I hope "South Link Road (Inbound)" means from the city center to Kinsale roundabout and not the entire link road

I half expected this though, only vague information

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I hope "South Link Road (Inbound)" means from the city center to Kinsale roundabout and not the entire link road

I half expected this though, only vague information

From city centre to the Kinsale roundabout IS the entire Link Road.
    Nothing vague about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Faith wrote: »
    I'll be driving. The walk from Blackrock to UCC might be a bit much! :)

But yeah, I could go up through Deerpark or something if I have to. Pain in the ass though.

You can drive the route that Cork Lass suggested, just take a right on Douglas Street and go up Nicholas Street because half of Douglas Street is one way. Or just don't bother with Douglas Street and take Evergreen Road the whole way to Barrack Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Ludo wrote: »
    From city centre to the Kinsale roundabout IS the entire Link Road.
    Nothing vague about it.

A lot of people confuse the South RING road with the South LINK Road. I think this is what has happened here.
    I need to get to UCC from Douglas so I am hoping the ring road & the route into UCC is OK just before lunch time each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lads I'm really confused now - on 96fm this morning they said that some roads are closing on Thursday?? I thought it was Friday from 10am??

Is it just me or is there absolutely no concret information coming from the City Council?

I went onto the Garda website and there was a link named Cork so I clicked on that thinking it would bring me to a subpage within the Garda website but no, it brought me to the City Council website :rolleyes:

We should know at this stage exactly what streets will be closed and for how long etc

Forgive me if i have just missed all this....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Thanks be to God i am only a two mins walk from where i work and do not have to worry about the hassle of driving a different route.

Some info here on the AA site.

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Event-Guide/Visits-by-Queen-Elizabeth-II-and-President-Barack-Obama/Traffic-restrictions-for-State-Visit-of-Queen-Elizabeth-II.aspx

Looks like they haven't released all details for Cork yet..they are waiting until later in the week due to security concerns I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭masadjie

I received an official notice from my office regarding to royal visit 20 May. See in attachment. hope it's useful somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭masadjie

leahyl wrote: »
    Lads I'm really confused now - on 96fm this morning they said that some roads are closing on Thursday??

I did not listen to 96fm but I read from the Garda Information :

"The City Centre areas of South Link Road (Inbound), Station Road, Anglesea Street, South Mall, Grand Parade, Patrick Street, Academy Street, Washington Street, Sheares Street, and Dyke Parade will be closed to traffic from 1000 hrs on the 20th May 2011. No parking will be allowed on this route from 1800 hrs the previous evening the 19th May 2011."

So I think the restriction you mentioned maybe is for parking from Thursday 18.00.

Anyone see the muppet from the Garda Traffic Corp parked in his jeep on the South Ring this afternoon? He was parked on the Kinsale Roundabout flyover heading towards Douglas and where do you think he parks? Jusp over the crest of the hill so he doesn't become visible until a car is 20 yards form him travelling at 100kmph. Idiot. He caused a jeep towing a trailer to swerve dangeroulsy into the middle lane narrowly missing another car and forcing me to brake hard in the outside lane as I was about to pass them both.

They were obviously doing some security checks (or possibly having lunch) as there was another jeep directly across the road on the flyover but at least there is a hard shoulder there where he was parked. You would thinhk the Traffic Corp would know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

leahyl wrote: »

PJ described it as a lockdown, it will be. Open for Business says the CBA, in reality it won't be, City might be open but if you get in you won't get out again and then we will see the mother and father of all traffic jams.

I've lived through these in the past, THE most famous one was during the 70's and I on the way home to Mayfield abandoned the bus on Barry's corner and went for a nibble which turned into a session two hours later the bus was still in McCurtain Street and it was 11O'Clock at night before the traffic started moving freely along this street.

I'm planning on refusing all work, I can live without begin abused by another frustrated and powerless Garda on traffic management ~ I can't blame them, I'd be freekin out of my mind as well if I were doing their job that day, but I've taken enough over the years and I've survived the worst that Cork City traffic management has to offer, up to this time.

Have a nice Queen's visit all, be sensible and take the day off, watch it on the TV. ;)

gbee wrote: »
    PJ described it as a lockdown, it will be. Open for Business says the CBA, in reality it won't be, City might be open but if you get in you won't get out again and then we will see the mother and father of all traffic jams.

I've lived through these in the past, THE most famous one was during the 70's and I on the way home to Mayfield abandoned the bus on Barry's corner and went for a nibble which turned into a session two hours later the bus was still in McCurtain Street and it was 11O'Clock at night before the traffic started moving freely along this street.

I'm planning on refusing all work, I can live without begin abused by another frustrated and powerless Garda on traffic management ~ I can't blame them, I'd be freekin out of my mind as well if I were doing their job that day, but I've taken enough over the years and I've survived the worst that Cork City traffic management has to offer, up to this time.

Have a nice Queen's visit all, be sensible and take the day off, watch it on the TV. ;)

Nice idea but I have absolutely no intention of staying home because this woman is coming here. It's gonna be a nightmare but I am going to work - low on staff at the moment so I am needed!

It's just I haven't been driving with a full license that long so kinda nervous about getting home - looks like i'll have to go the tunnel route and i've never driven on it in rush hour traffic, never mind rush hour traffic x 10:mad:

Maybe i'll just get a bus - but then buses I presume won't be going through town either, oh i'm confused:confused:!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Hopefully I'm working from home Friday, fingers crossed y'all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I wasn't able to take the day off on Friday (considering I'm on a 3 day week it would be a bit mad to take a full day for this visit). Have been able to take a half day tho so starting work at 4. Hopefully a lot of the madness will have passed by then.

Updated traffic restrictions:
    UPDATE - 17th May 2011 @11:00

Further Information relating to the Cork City area for the Visit of HM Queen Elizabeth 11

Traffic Update
    The following streets in the City Centre will now be closed to traffic on the 20th May 2011.

From 1000 hrs to 1600 hrs,

Tuckey Street, North Main Street, South Main Street, Copley Street, Union Quay.

Douglas Street has a one way system in operation from Langford Row Junction to Evergreen Street Junction for all traffic travelling in that direction during this time.

Also closed to traffic from 1000hrs to 1600 hrs are

Batchelors Quay, Grenville Place, Grattan Street, Liberty Street, Adelaide Street, Kyle Street, Castle Street, Cornmarket Street, Paul Street.

Closed from 1200 hrs to 1600 hrs, Georges Quay, Sullivan’s Quay, South Terrace, Infirmary Road, Ruthland Street, White Street, Dunbar Street, Mary Street and Cobh Street.

There will be no access to the City Centre from the western suburbs via the Western Road. Traffic attempting to enter the city centre via this route will be diverted via Sundays Well Road or Wilton Road.

No parking will be allowed on Douglas Street or Sullivan’s Quay, from 1800 hrs on the 19th May 2011.

No traffic Restrictions Northside of the river Lee. All key junctions will be manned and if required traffic will be assisted.

Customer Service Number
    A Customer Service Number has been set up at Anglesea Street Garda Station. All queries in relation to Traffic Issues can be addressed through this contact number. (021) 4548555, This will be operational from 0900 hrs to 1700 hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

AS long as there is no codology tomorrow I'm grand. I have to go to the airport tomorrow. should leave a bit early?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

The only thing that will really hold up the traffic is if you have those idiots protesting the queens visit who want nothing to do with England but are more then happy to wear celtic and man united tops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Daegerty wrote: »
    AS long as there is no codology tomorrow I'm grand. I have to go to the airport tomorrow. should leave a bit early?

definately do

Advertisement