Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Only a 4 wheel drive permitted to tow a twin (double) axle?

• 13-05-2011 9:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭

A fella said this to me yesterday. Was news to me. Maybe he was referring to a clamp down as regards weights and the EB licence, but he specifically thought it was because of the twin axle (regardless of weight).

Read the rules of the road recently and never cam across anything like that.

Anyone in the know who can be definitive on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Waffle.

EB specifically relates to weight only, and in fairness you're more likely to go over the weight limit with a jeep than with a car.

4WD certainly makes it easier, with the power they have and all that, but no requirements for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Waffle.

Indeed ...wubbish :D

There was a thread on trailers and EB requirements on the main motors forum not too long ago in which the legislation was quoted ...no mention whatsoever of 4WD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I can tow more weight with my passat than my neighbour can with his 4wd because of the weight limit. Although I don't fancy my springs holding up ;)

Incidentally in another thread there was talk that you would need to do compulsory lessons for the EB licence after some date in April. I spoke to the tax office today and they called head office and said nope, you just need to wait 6 months to take the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The vast majority of HGV tractors only drive one axle.

The 4x4 for towing is pub BS.

All the laws for towing relate to vehicle weights and axle loadings. Once you're licence allows it and you're not exceeding the tow vehicles limit it's legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭the rambler

Del2005 wrote: »
    The vast majority of HGV tractors only drive one axle.

The 4x4 for towing is pub BS.

All the laws for towing relate to vehicle weights and axle loadings. Once you're licence allows it and you're not exceeding the tow vehicles limit it's legal.
    the difference with hgv tractors only having one drive axle is that the weight of the trailor and load is on the king pin directly above the drive axle of the hgv tractor, totally different kettle of fish with artic,

agree with you about it being bull about the 4x4 for towing,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭salamander27

Check your insurance though......
    Mine states I am only insured to use a single wheel trailer. They will cover twin wheelers but for more money.

Advertisement