Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike Dilemma - what to pick?

Options
  • 13-05-2011 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I bought a Giant FCR 2 years ago to get into cycling and I'm completely addicted. I cycle regularly around the Dublin mountains and I'm looking to upgrade. I want to avoid my last mistake of outgrowing the bike too quickly so I'm looking at spending a bit to get a good bike with carbon frame.

My choices are:
    Trek 4.5 Madone,
    Cannondale 6 Carbon 105,
    Dolan Hercules

I'm open to suggestions as well. Would appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Have you considered Canyon or Planet X ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Johnmc367

I haven't really, purely because I don't know enough about them, are they worth considering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

I'd recommend this, carbon etc.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=49202

Vitus Dark Plasma 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Johnmc367 wrote: »
    I haven't really, purely because I don't know enough about them, are they worth considering?
    IMO, yes. I have one (Canyon, that is) and I am very happy with it. All of the Planet X users here seem to be very happy with them.
    calerbass wrote: »
    I'd recommend this, carbon etc.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=49202

Vitus Dark Plasma 2011
    Can you vouch fro them?
    At Vitus bikes we pioneered many of the technologies that have helped carbon fibre make the leap from space-age aeronautics into the pro peleton, its blend of light weight, stiffness and vibration-damping comfort being perfectly suited to the needs of the elite racer.
    Before the name was bought over. I wouldn't think that the culture for quality and innovation could be bought along with a name. I could be wrong though. For the same money I'd go for a Planet X with much better components.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Wiggle are selling some focus models cheap at the moment if they have your size. Double check all the components and wheels are up to your spec requirements though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Johnmc367 wrote: »
    I'm looking at spending a bit to get a good bike with carbon frame.

My choices are:
    Trek 4.5 Madone,
    Cannondale 6 Carbon 105,
    Dolan Hercules

I'm open to suggestions as well. Would appreciate any feedback.
    I bought a Cannondale SuperSix (Sram Rival) about 3 months ago and after spending some time in the saddle, I love it and I look forward to riding it every time. The only thing is, because it is my first and only road bike, I can't compare it with anything else. When I was looking for a bike, I wanted a bike with possibly best frame set for the money (and with good enough components). After getting used to the saddle, I have to say the bike is a good bit more comfortable than I expected, yet firm enough on fast corners and great to handle.
    All in all, I am very happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

Lemag wrote: »
    IMO, yes. I have one (Canyon, that is) and I am very happy with it. All of the Planet X users here seem to be very happy with them.

Can you vouch fro them? Before the name was bought over. I wouldn't think that the culture for quality and innovation could be bought along with a name. I could be wrong though. For the same money I'd go for a Planet X with much better components.

Very good

Advertisement