Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Never want to update again!

• 13-05-2011 10:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭

Phone: HTC Desire | Currently running Froyo

So a good while ago now, I used the services of partyatmygaff to update me to Froyo. He had already helped me root my phone prior to this and I made it clear that I don't really care about new updates and fancy things, that I just need the phone to do what I need it to do, and not have the hassle of updating constantly to fix bugs, requiring a clean install of all apps and settings etc.

Unfortunately I've been victim to what appears to be a very rare bug and according to a poster here it requires a system update to fix but I believe I can't just use the "over the air" system updates due to the way I installed a custom ROM.

This obviously couldn't have been predicted or known by partyatmygaff and I still highly value his knowledge and service on rooting and would highly recommend it for anyone who doesn't want to go through with the rooting process by themselves.

I'm just putting this here to gather information and suggestions on what to do next. If I can do a simple upgrade that will leave all my apps and settings as is, even if I have to stay with Froyo and won't get the latest Gingerbread or Honeycomb (is that even out?) I'd prefer that.

If it is a case that I'll have to start fresh, then I need assurance that whatever I flash, will be tried and tested to be bug free and do everything I need it to do. The only non-stock ROM thing I need is the andoid (not HTC) "CONTACTS" app. I'm not interested in experimental or overly customised roms. I just need something simple that will do everything I need and that I won't have to ever upgrade again and lose all my app settings etc and have any downtime with the phone and if possible, being able to install the "Over the air" upgrades if needed would be handy too... as long as it's as easy as updating the likes of an app, takes a few seconds and leaves all settings as they are :)

So would really appreciate any help on this as this as I really hope this will be my last time needing to do anything technical with the phone :) partyatmygaff, if you're still in the business, let me know if you're free to help too :D

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I recommend installing Titanium Backup to save all your apps and settings first off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

find out which rom you are running, if you are lucky you might get away with flashing a newer version over the rom you are running at present
    make sure to do a nandroid backup before you flash anything new
    also do a titanium backup for programs and data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the suggestions. Just looking in the Rom manager and I don't want to mess around with anything in there as I'm not sure what it will do, but it does say "Your ROM is NOT set to receive OTA updates, please contact ROM developer" and then it says current recovery: ClockworkMod 2.5.0.7.

If I do decide to go and flash a new ROM so, can anyone suggest one that will meet my requirements, which are pretty simple, bug free and that I won't need to update again and since I'd be flashing anyway, I may aswell get one with the improvements 2.3 has to offer.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Cormie, the ROM/mod version is usually listed under Settings/About Phone. E.g. mine says 'Android version: 2.3.4, Mod version: Oxygen-2.1.2'. Which, by the way, I can wholeheartedly recommend, it's my everyday ROM, it's clean untainted Gingerbread and rock solid. It's built from the Android source code, so it's as close as it gets to the Android Google had in mind. See/download here: http://oxygenrom.com/viewforum.php?f=3 If you need help with backing up apps/settings, installing the ROM or anything, drop me a PM. :)

Thanks a lot for that suggestion. A clean, untainted, the android Google had in mind is probably what I should go for rather than a hacked to bits platform for modders to experiment and go crazy with :D

So in software information it sates Android version 2.2 and software number LeeDrOiD_V2.0. Actually now I remember partyatmygaff telling me Leedroid was the rom so that's definitely it!

I might take you up on your offer of help actually and just get it over and done with!

Just a question or two, does the Oxygen one come with sense? I like widgets and the way sense works. Also, what about HD recording out of the box? :)

• Advertisement

No Sense on Oxygen. Sense is a HTC proprietary thing and HTC made some heavy modifications to the original Android source for it to work (AFAIK). The HTC widgets won't work with a non-Sense ROM like Oxygen - which is just pure stock Android. Also, I tried the video recording just now, and on the highest quality setting it's 720x480 only. If you need these two things then Oxygen might not be the ROM for you. :eek:

If you want Gingerbread but wish to keep using Sense you still have options though. ;) Have a look at the Gingerbread version of LeeDroid with the old Sense (probably the same look you're using now, I dunno), or if you want to give the newer Sense a go, try RCMix (nice screenshots) or InsertCoin (these two seem to be closely related, I can't tell the difference). I haven't tried any of these as I can't suffer Sense :o so I went by the screenshots and the feature lists. Both include 720p recording among other goodies, but I'm not sure about that stock Contacts app...

Obviously, it'd be great if someone who uses a Sense ROM could recommend one.

Thanks again for the reply, first question, is 720x480 not the same as 720p HD no? :o

To be honest, if I can get another calendar app without needing sense then that would be fine. I know sense ads a lot of unnecessary bloat and the sense twitter app I have on my own desire stopped working for some reason, I rarely used it anyway. So really the only sense thing I use is the calendar :)

See all the different versions like leedroid, oxeygen, rcmix, insertcoin are where it really starts to confuse me. I just want a simple version that does what I need it to do and not give me any hassle or have any bugs or that can be updated easily without wiping or needing to reinstall anything if there are bugs so I haven't a clue what's best for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

Hi.
    Sorry to hear you're having problems with your desire.
    I've changed ROM quite a few times, and have to admit I'm very comfortable making those kinds of changes to equipment.

From the point of view of being able to update without losing settings, I find the plain cyanogenmod excellent.
    I didn't realise for a while that the ROM Manager would allow you keep all your user settings if you were just applying an update to your current ROM.

The first time you install it, or whenever you make a change to your ROM version, you WILL have to reinstall things, but bugfixes and updates shouldn't require you to do it again.

I wanted gingerbread/2.3 so installed cyanogenmod. It doesn't have Sense,
    but what most people want out of sense is available as an app called Fancy Widget.
    Everything is just a little snappier than it was, and I have applied some updates that were available to fix a bug some people were having with video recording without losing anything.

You'll need to keep track of apps you want to hold onto, but any you've purchased will just appear in your market once you log back in. Likewise with your calendar and contacts so long as you haven't set them up unusually.
    Most of your apps will also have their settings backed up to your google account.

I'd recommend getting "SMS Backup" and "Log2calendar" before you change anything.
    They'll backup your SMS messages to a gmail label, and put your call log incoming/outgoing/missed onto a google calendar.
    The call log will include names from your Contacts, so it's much easier to work out where your spending calltime than looking through your bill at the end of the month.
    They also can run continually to log calls and texts as they happen in future.

Set up like that, everything is at your account, so wiping and reinstalling your actual handset isn't so much of a big deal.
    That should give you the confidence to try a few of the ROMs in ROM manager to see what suits you best.

Personally I'll vote again for Cyanogenmod 7.0.3 (Current Stable Release).
    It's a very straightforward build of Gingerbread. Remember to tick the box to
    download "Google Apps" in the box called ROM Addons that pops up.
    The upgrade takes a bit of time, so don't be tempted to interrupt it.

Good luck with your 'new' phone!

In addition to the above, a nice replacement for your Sense calendar widget is a widget from the Market called Smooth Calendar. Plus, Cyanogenmod (or Oxygen ;) ) would include the stock Contacts app.

Thanks a lot for all that info :)

So considering what's important to me is:

Stock contacts app, 720p HD recording, Calendar Widget, unparalleled stability (very important), easy updating if required (not so important and would like to avoid if it's already stable and bug free) and then all the general gingerbread fancies and also no bloatware (I know sense has a lot of crap I don't use, taking up my phone memory), are both cyanogenmod and Oxeygen equally as suitable?

With regards the video recording, BeciMester has mentioned there's no 720p on Oxeygen and somebody sent me a video recorded off desire with I think cyanogenmod and it was in the M4V format, although I'm not sure if this is to do with the fact they hooked the desire to a mac to send it to me, but seemed strange to me that a hacked ROM would record in what is an apple format:confused:

So I guess if we could narrow it down to a suitable rom, next step would be getting it installed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Good thread Cormie. I am keeping an eye on it.

I have exactly the same requirements and I'm interested in getting a new rom.

Lads, have a look at [URL=" http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=896213 "]Redux[/URL], which seems to include 720p recording, is non-Sense and is optimized for trouble-free everyday usage instead of packing every fancy feature under the sun.

It's quite overwhelming the amount of roms out there, wish there was just one to choose from :D

What about just the basic gingerbread the way Google intended, the one that say is on the nexus? Would that have everything I need and of course be updateable OTA since the updates are for the rom itself, or am I not thinking right?

The blurb for Redux does sound good:
    To keep it clean, only features that are considered useful by the development team will be included in Redux. This ensures that every single feature implemented will be carefully selected and programmed into the ROM's source code, which lead to stability and intuitive usage. Performance tweaks find their way into Redux quite often because speed and smoothness are two key features which must be present in a day-to-day usage scenario. Redux is mostly bugfree, again a vital feature for the 24/7 usage scenarios this ROM has been thought for.

but the mostly bugfree line worries me somewhat and makes me think that although it may be good for day to day usage, that there may be bugs that makes it need to be updated frequently and not just be able to leave it be on my phone until I sell the phone on in what could be 2-3 years. Would ideally not like to have to put an update on it in that time if you get me :o

cormie wrote: »
    What about just the basic gingerbread the way Google intended, the one that say is on the nexus?
    That's exactly what Oxygen is about. The thing is, Google never officially enabled 720p recording on the Nexus, so it's not in Oxygen either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I have cyanogenmod 7.03 on my desire (non sense) and its mega stable. Would highly recommend it. I also have LauncherPro which gives me sense like widgets (calendar, friend(stream) and people) and they work great.

Thanks a lot for all that info :)

Stock contacts app, 720p HD recording, Calendar Widget, unparalleled stability (very important), easy updating if required (not so important and would like to avoid if it's already stable and bug free) and then all the general gingerbread fancies and also no bloatware (I know sense has a lot of crap I don't use, taking up my phone memory), are both cyanogenmod and Oxeygen equally as suitable?

With regards the video recording, BeciMester has mentioned there's no 720p on Oxeygen and somebody sent me a video recorded off desire with I think cyanogenmod and it was in the M4V format, although I'm not sure if this is to do with the fact they hooked the desire to a mac to send it to me, but seemed strange to me that a hacked ROM would record in what is an apple format:confused:

So I guess if we could narrow it down to a suitable rom, next step would be getting it installed :)

Thanks for the responses again.

Ah I thought Google enabled 720p long ago, must have just been a hack all along so!

good to hear cyanogenmod 7.03 is so stable :)

One problem I have currently is sending group texts, I've sent a group text before to about 22 people, the text itself being about 6 parts long and it doesn't always send to them all, will give "message not sent" errors a lot and goes a bit crazy sometimes. I'm using Handscent but I've a feeling it's a problem with the phone as opposed the app, as this MAJOR problem is stated to be the phones fault.

[...] somebody sent me a video recorded off desire with I think cyanogenmod and it was in the M4V format, although I'm not sure if this is to do with the fact they hooked the desire to a mac to send it to me, but seemed strange to me that a hacked ROM would record in what is an apple format:confused:
    It's probably the Mac. Both my Desire on Oxygen and my gf's Orange San Francisco on Cyanogenmod record video in .3gp format.

I've no idea about the group text issue, sorry. Would it be a Froyo specific thing? If so, upgrading to Gingerbread might fix it. :)

Yeah, 3gp is the current format my own one records in :)

So given my preferences, would you still suggest Oxegen or do you think Redux would be a better choice, or perhaps even cyanogenmod? :)

I'd say, once you have your backups in place, there's nothing stopping you from trying a few of them and see which suits the most. Try Cyanogenmod first, a lot of people seem to be happy with it.

Interesting you'd suggest that first, I might do that so if you recommend it, even being an Oxygen fan yourself :)

Would just like to do it the once as I want the minimum downtime for my phone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Cormie, the game has changed recently aswell with s-off and g-part, you should may investigate both those things before flashing.

Fwiw, im running devnull on my desire. Super trim Rom, 46,mb from the developer of oxygen. S-off could be important for this though as I dont think it has a2sd. Once the phone is s-off, you can repartition the phone to give u more internal space for apps as the Rom size is so tiny. Its a superfast Rom with good battery.

Interesting you'd suggest that first, I might do that so if you recommend it, even being an Oxygen fan yourself :)
    Look, I recommended CM7 because it suits your needs better, it has nothing to do with fanboyism. :) Don't get me wrong, CM7 is a lean mean screamin' machine with tons of customisation options, and I genuinely think it will serve you well. It was initially developed for the Nexus 1 which is not too different from the Desire. It has a large group of developers working on it, and you can rest assured that 1) if there are any bugs, they'll be fixed quickly, and 2) you can just install the new version over the old one and not lose any of your settings. It's just that Oxygen suits MY needs better. That's the nice thing about Android: choice. :)

The only thing is, I don't have firsthand experience with CM7, only on the San Fran but that's irrelevant since being two different phones. AFAIK there's nothing wrong with it on the Desire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

there is no such thing as never having to update.
    you may not want to, but bugs will appear and need to be fixed.

just update your current rom, there cant be that many roms that dont support a nowipe update...

Cormie, the game has changed recently aswell with s-off and g-part, you should may investigate both those things before flashing.

Fwiw, im running devnull on my desire. Super trim Rom, 46,mb from the developer of oxygen. S-off could be important for this though as I dont think it has a2sd. Once the phone is s-off, you can repartition the phone to give u more internal space for apps as the Rom size is so tiny. Its a superfast Rom with good battery.

Hehe, you've totally confused me now. S-off and g-part, I haven't a clue what these are :) Bear in mind I'm a very basic user and just need the phone to be a phone and for email and the things I listed. Whatever functions the best, most stable, is the one I'd be after :) I'm not very technical with phones and the likes, I just like to keep things simple and organised in an OCD way :D
    BeciMester wrote: »
    Look, I recommended CM7 because it suits your needs better, it has nothing to do with fanboyism. :) Don't get me wrong, CM7 is a lean mean screamin' machine with tons of customisation options, and I genuinely think it will serve you well. It was initially developed for the Nexus 1 which is not too different from the Desire. It has a large group of developers working on it, and you can rest assured that 1) if there are any bugs, they'll be fixed quickly, and 2) you can just install the new version over the old one and not lose any of your settings. It's just that Oxygen suits MY needs better. That's the nice thing about Android: choice. :)

The only thing is, I don't have firsthand experience with CM7, only on the San Fran but that's irrelevant since being two different phones. AFAIK there's nothing wrong with it on the Desire.

That could be handy alright the fact I could just update without wiping anything because if I DO have bugs, it'd be nice to know I can report them and likely just update without much hassle, rather than coming back here to ask for a new rom, so that may work best :)
    subway wrote: »
    there is no such thing as never having to update.
    you may not want to, but bugs will appear and need to be fixed.

just update your current rom, there cant be that many roms that dont support a nowipe update...

I know what you mean and in general I'd agree, but I don't really keep the phone itself up to date anyway, in that I don't install a lot of new apps and things, I update apps when I see they have updates, but in terms of using the phones features in different ways, I can't see it needing updating too much for my basic use, unless the apps themselves cause problems.

I think as long as I have something I can easily update and not have to wipe and start again, then I'll be happy.

I've the leedroid rom on mine now, installed months ago and as far as I know, it doesn't support a nowipe update :(

Thanks again for all the help folks!

Aswell as that, I think my brother has cyanmodgen so he could probably help me with the install :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

cyanogenmod 7.03

I've had nothing but problems with my installation on Desire

I have to reboot the phone atleast twice a day and have constant bugs and problems.

Keyboard goes black and i cant see it when typing.
    Many an app just fails and closes.
    Web browser just fails to load pages constantly and crashes out

Among with a host of other annoyances.

I'm annoyed even more that I can't jsut go back to the way my phone was with HTC Sense, where I never had a problem once in nearly 8 months, not one crash or fail.

It seems once you root thats pretty much it and your destined to hunting around for bogus hacked roms that have a world of hurt.

I've to go search now for the HTC original stock rom cause I want things back it was before I rooted, so its not even a case I can delete the ****ing thing.

Annoying still I went through a pretty easy guide to backup my HTC Sense so if I didnt like the new roms i could go back to oldskool.

Shock horror the backup was corrupted so I've nothing to roll back to.

Worst decision I ever made with my phone, granted you hear nothing but good things on here about rooting, its being a nightmare and huge regret of mine, more so cause I just cant rid of the whole thing and go back the way it was

That sounds like a nightmare and definitely not a position I want to find myself in! Are you just a rare case though or is it likely to be a risk for me too I wonder?

Ruu, takes about 5 mins....

What's ruu? :)

program for your pc, hook phone up by usb, run program, bang you are unrooted and back to stock

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=695667

• Advertisement

That's handy to know about, thanks :)

@TheDoc.
    Sorry to hear you're having such a bad time with your phone.
    All the HTC ROMs are downloadable from the links available on the xda-developers.
    You need to follow the instructions exactly.
    It sounds like you might not have cleared your cache and wiped your userfiles when you installed cyanogenmod.
    Is it possible that you restarted the phone before it was finished?
    It takes some time to clear the system completely, but it's worth waiting for.

I've also got a Desire, and in common with many people here, have had no problems with Cyanogenmod 7.0.3 .
    Your symptoms could also be caused by being extremely low on memory.
    Do you have many apps installed? How much free space do you have in memory?

Will probably go ahead with this now in the next few days.

Stock contacts app, 720p HD recording, Calendar Widget, unparalleled stability (very important), easy updating if required (not so important and would like to avoid if it's already stable and bug free) and then all the general gingerbread fancies and also no bloatware (I know sense has a lot of crap I don't use, taking up my phone memory).

Cyanmodgen 7 seems to be the answer.

Is there anything special I should know going from Leedroid Froyo to Cyanmodgen 7 gingerbread?

What about backing up? Will Titanium back up take care of all apps and settings, is it the best option to back up?

any further advice appreciated :)

Nope.
    720p HD not yet available on Desire with Cyanogenmod 7.
    If that's a deal breaker, you'll need to stay with Cyanogenmod 6.1.1,
    where it is available. 7 is real nice though, and very smooth.

Get the ROM Manager together, and take precautions like suggested above to make sure your texts and call register are online, and you can compare.

Ahh, no 720p on 7? That's a bit strange considering I have it on my desire that was rooted months and months ago. Does it bring about bugs or something which is why it's not included?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

niallb wrote: »
    @TheDoc.
    Sorry to hear you're having such a bad time with your phone.
    All the HTC ROMs are downloadable from the links available on the xda-developers.
    You need to follow the instructions exactly.
    It sounds like you might not have cleared your cache and wiped your userfiles when you installed cyanogenmod.
    Is it possible that you restarted the phone before it was finished?
    It takes some time to clear the system completely, but it's worth waiting for.

I've also got a Desire, and in common with many people here, have had no problems with Cyanogenmod 7.0.3 .
    Your symptoms could also be caused by being extremely low on memory.
    Do you have many apps installed? How much free space do you have in memory?

Cheers for the posts lads, things have gotten a little more stable over the past few days after I just did a completely fresh re-install

• Advertisement

Ahh, no 720p on 7? That's a bit strange considering I have it on my desire that was rooted months and months ago. Does it bring about bugs or something which is why it's not included?

Not at all. 720p exists on the froyo kernel, but it does not yet exist on the gingerberead one for the Desire.
    The rest of Android is open, but the hardware drivers for devices are still a big secret, so each new kernel needs new work for all devices rather than a simple rebuild.
    It'll come!

@TheDoc - glad to hear things have picked up.

Good to know it'll come, but I'm being annoying in that I wouldn't want to have to update again just to get 720p recording :P

I should really just get it over and done with by this stage, still not sure what to go with, probably cyanmodgen I guess.

My friend wants to flash his too so that's 3 desires we'll be flashing at the one time.

Can anyone tell me, is the process going to be the same for all 3, or will some need to be rooted first and will there be a different process for desires from different network providers? I remember reading something about their being a different process for desires from o2? Also, is rooting/flashing automatically going to unlock the phone to all networks?

Any further feedback appreciated :)

Any flash/rooting experts around today to do guide my friend and I via the internet on rooting/flashing 3 desire phones? Name your price :)

Is there anyone who'd be around tomorrow morning to guide over msn/skype etc on the flashing/rooting process? Have no problem paying for such a service if it does what I've described I want done in the posts above :)

Please let me know!

Big thanks to Inquitus for the help! He spent a long time yesterday helping me through every step of the process with troubleshooting and everything! Thanks again!

Trying out CM7 at the moment and it has a few handy improvements from froyo I can see already, even the power control widget is brilliant, the amount of options on it are great and the fact you can control volume, flashlight etc from it now too is worth the update alone :D

I kept talkback/soundback/kickback aswell as chrome to phone, google voice and one or two others unticked, nice to know I won't have any bloatware :) The ultimate test will come later on, when I send my usual Wednesday group text (well it's actually about the length of 4 texts) to 34 friends, on froyo it gave errors every time I'd send it and wouldn't deliver to a few. Hopefully all 34 will receive it without any errors this time.

• Advertisement

After having used CM7 now for a day or two, I'm happy enough with it, but there are a few problems I'm having.

Sometimes when I unlock the phone, the brightness is set differently even though the ambience of where I am is the same, sometimes it could be dim and others bright and it doesn't really change.

The Email app doesn't appear to be the best. It's very dark, is there any brighter theme available or maybe suggestion of another app for pop3 mail?

I'm using GO SMS and unfortunately I'm still having an issue sending group messages, I've the option to seperate each message to each person into its own thread, sent a small group text, only to maybe 10 people yesterday and it split it into 4 separate threads, only 4 separate contacts who I sent it to as opposed to the 10, so where did the other 6 go? I couldn't check delivery status or anything.

Also with GO Dialer EX, I assume it's because I've over 1,900 contacts, but it freezes quite a lot if I'm going through my contacts/groups/adding new etc. Also you can't see the individual times of consecutive missed calls from one contact and if you have a missed call notification in the notification bar, clicking the notification used to clear the notification and bring you to the missed call screen, now it just brings you to the missed call screen but you have to go back to the notification menu to "clear" the notification, again, this didn't happen in sense and clicking to see the missed calls also cleared the notification. I also miss being able to just open up the dialer, press call on a blank field and it would call the last dialled, also with the way the call log is, I don't like that it groups the contacts together, I much prefer being able to see a log based on time only. Also by grouping the contacts together, you can't just click on a recent called contact and it will go to phone them immediately as you could with sense.

I miss the fact with Sense, you just clicked the clock and you got to your stopwatch/countdown timer/alarm straight away. Is there any way to get this back? Clicking the clock now brings me to a screen that isn't much use.

The included Calendar app widget has a few annoyances, you can't click a number to go straight to dialpad with from within an event, only 1 event is displayed in the widget and to go into details of that event you've to click into open the calendar first and then into the event. Again, the sense calendar app was better and you could also scroll through the events from the widget itself.

Twitter widget is also worse than it was in sense, it only shows one tweet at a time as opposed to sense which you could again scroll down which is much handier if you're looking for say updates from AA Road Watch while stuck in traffic and you can just keep your eyes open for the AA logo on a scroll rather than clicking and clicking and clicking to see if they have any updates.

Calculator is too basic compared to sense one too

Another thing is I used to like to have "camcorder" shortcut instead of "camera" (I just feel it's better to have instant access to record something rather than photo it). You could easily then switch to camera if you want to photo something, there was no camcorder shortcut so I downloaded one, but it opens only the camcorder alone, as opposed to the same thing that you got when clicking the camera, in which you could easy switch between camera and camcorder. Any way to start that same thing, but just in camcorder mode by a shortcut?

Can someone also tell me if the CM7 "File manager" does the same as Astro? I installed Astro before realising there was a file manager there, guess there's no need for both so can I uninstall astro again? I'm only a very basic user that would be copying/pasting and installing apps via astro, so if this can all be done via file manager, I'll just get rid of Astro :)

I know that's probably a lot to take in, but if anyone has any suggestions or tips, please share :)

Have been doing a bit more customising and almost set up properly but still a few hanging issues:
    Sometimes when I unlock the phone, the brightness is set differently even though the ambience of where I am is the same, sometimes it could be dim and others bright and it doesn't really change.
    Not fixed - CM7 issue

The Email app doesn't appear to be the best. It's very dark, is there any brighter theme available or maybe suggestion of another app for pop3 mail?
    Not really an issue - APP Issue

I'm using GO SMS and unfortunately I'm still having an issue sending group messages, I've the option to seperate each message to each person into its own thread, sent a small group text, only to maybe 10 people yesterday and it split it into 4 separate threads, only 4 separate contacts who I sent it to as opposed to the 10, so where did the other 6 go? I couldn't check delivery status or anything.
    Not Fixed -Possible App Issue, possible CM7 issue

Also with GO Dialer EX, I assume it's because I've over 1,900 contacts, but it freezes quite a lot if I'm going through my contacts/groups/adding new etc. Also you can't see the individual times of consecutive missed calls from one contact and if you have a missed call notification in the notification bar, clicking the notification used to clear the notification and bring you to the missed call screen, now it just brings you to the missed call screen but you have to go back to the notification menu to "clear" the notification, again, this didn't happen in sense and clicking to see the missed calls also cleared the notification. I also miss being able to just open up the dialer, press call on a blank field and it would call the last dialled, also with the way the call log is, I don't like that it groups the contacts together, I much prefer being able to see a log based on time only. Also by grouping the contacts together, you can't just click on a recent called contact and it will go to phone them immediately as you could with sense.
    Not Fixed: App Issue, plus now discovered, if you have 2 missed calls, clear the notification and get 1 more missed call, the notification will come up again but say 3 missed calls :(

I miss the fact with Sense, you just clicked the clock and you got to your stopwatch/countdown timer/alarm straight away. Is there any way to get this back? Clicking the clock now brings me to a screen that isn't much use.
    Fixed: App Issue - Got a separate stopwatch/countdown timer app and use stock alarm and using Go Weather widget

The included Calendar app widget has a few annoyances, you can't click a number to go straight to dialpad with from within an event, only 1 event is displayed in the widget and to go into details of that event you've to click into open the calendar first and then into the event. Again, the sense calendar app was better and you could also scroll through the events from the widget itself.
    Fixed - Assigned swipe up and swipe down action to open calendar from home screen, this makes it just as quick as before to open the calendar app and gets right into the app, also I can now just click numbers and it opens the dialer, not sure what the issue was before but it's working grand now :)

Twitter widget is also worse than it was in sense, it only shows one tweet at a time as opposed to sense which you could again scroll down which is much handier if you're looking for say updates from AA Road Watch while stuck in traffic and you can just keep your eyes open for the AA logo on a scroll rather than clicking and clicking and clicking to see if they have any updates.
    Not really an issue, I don't even use twitter that much

Calculator is too basic compared to sense one too
    Fixed - Real calc

Another thing is I used to like to have "camcorder" shortcut instead of "camera" (I just feel it's better to have instant access to record something rather than photo it). You could easily then switch to camera if you want to photo something, there was no camcorder shortcut so I downloaded one, but it opens only the camcorder alone, as opposed to the same thing that you got when clicking the camera, in which you could easy switch between camera and camcorder. Any way to start that same thing, but just in camcorder mode by a shortcut?
    Not really an issue, added camera and camcorder shortcut to home screens

Can someone also tell me if the CM7 "File manager" does the same as Astro? I installed Astro before realising there was a file manager there, guess there's no need for both so can I uninstall astro again? I'm only a very basic user that would be copying/pasting and installing apps via astro, so if this can all be done via file manager, I'll just get rid of Astro :)
    Not really an issue, seems astro is better though, you can select multi select files in a folder to edit.move etc and just looks to be more options in general.

A few more issues then using Go Dev Team apps:

on froyo, I had handscent and loved the way if I got a text, the led would be a permanent blue until I read it. I checked this option in go sms too but it doesn't seem to be working at all. I tried flash on at 300ms and then off at 0, I also tried at 300/300 and it didn't seem to flash at all.

Have also noticed a bug in go sms where a different contact name could appear in someone elses text, which happened before with Handscent on froyo, was hoping it would have been fixed. I wonder is it go, or a bug with android itself that's causing this.

Hoping I can sort the above not fixed issues so any advice would be appreciated, the LED notification thing is a strange one, just doesn't seem to work at all for go sms but it may be something conflicting with the CM7 settings or stock settings? Any feedback appreciated!

Another issue I forgot to mention with CM7, when I go to the camera gallery and playback a video I recorded on my old froyo 2.1 in portrait, the playback will play the portrait video on it's side with huge borders each side when I have the phone itself in portrait, if I switch the phone to landscape, the video will then switch to fill the screen, but then the video itself isn't the right way around again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 cqms13

Have been doing a bit more customising and almost set up properly but still a few hanging issues:

A few more issues then using Go Dev Team apps:

on froyo, I had handscent and loved the way if I got a text, the led would be a permanent blue until I read it. I checked this option in go sms too but it doesn't seem to be working at all. I tried flash on at 300ms and then off at 0, I also tried at 300/300 and it didn't seem to flash at all.

Have also noticed a bug in go sms where a different contact name could appear in someone elses text, which happened before with Handscent on froyo, was hoping it would have been fixed. I wonder is it go, or a bug with android itself that's causing this.

Hoping I can sort the above not fixed issues so any advice would be appreciated, the LED notification thing is a strange one, just doesn't seem to work at all for go sms but it may be something conflicting with the CM7 settings or stock settings? Any feedback appreciated!
    Another issue I forgot to mention with CM7, when I go to the camera gallery and playback a video I recorded on my old froyo 2.1 in portrait, the playback will play the portrait video on it's side with huge borders each side when I have the phone itself in portrait, if I switch the phone to landscape, the video will then switch to fill the screen, but then the video itself isn't the right way around again! miss the fact with Sense, you just clicked the clock and you got to your stopwatch/countdown timer/alarm straight away. Is there any way to get this back? Clicking the clock now brings me to a screen that isn't much use.
    Fixed: App Issue - Got a separate stopwatch/countdown timer app and use stock alarm and using Go Weather widget

been a while since i used CM on my nexus as i have moved to sensation but if you look for orientation settings and set to 360 the screen will orientate to whatever way you are holding it.

Try going back to handcent instead of Go SMS to gret you leds working again - i never had any issue with it. (alternative is to dl an LED app from market) - also maybe try chompsms??

Try using advanced clock widget pro - it allows you to set clicking on the clock to open anything you like including the alarm etc (beautiful widgets does this too - just find ACW cleaner)

and there is a bunch of third party twitter apps with widgets in market - try em all and see which one floats your boat - eg tweetdeck

will try to get my nexus one back from my son and have a look at the settings etc

Advertisement