Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**Spoilers** Series 6, Episode 4 - "The Doctor's Wife"

• 13-05-2011 10:14am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So Neill Gaiman's much anticipated episode is next on the list. It seems there's a bit of a buzz about the story because of this fact, though as someone who has never read any of his work, am not sure what to get excited about? I suspect the hype might cause a few disappointments. Am more intrigued as to what the chuffing hell is going on, based on the trailer & title, which suggest this might not be a filler episode by 'arf.

Clips:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Can't bloody wait!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

pixelburp wrote: »
    It seems there's a bit of a buzz about the story because of this fact, though as someone who has never read any of his work, am not sure what to get excited about?

I'm actually suprised you haven't, Gaiman is like Kevin Smith a bit of a uber nerd, his works spanning many genres.

My two favourite things he's done are the book Good Omens with Terry Pratchett (which to this day is the funniest thing I have ever read) and the comic book Sandman.

In Sandman he takes an old sci fi idea (the super hero sandman, who had dreams warning him of stuff) and twists it on it's head to create something really magical (the creature behind those- and all- dreams). Thats what I guess people are hoping to see here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm actually suprised you haven't, Gaiman is like Kevin Smith a bit of a uber nerd, his works spanning many genres.

My two favourite things he's done are the book Good Omens with Terry Pratchett (which to this day is the funniest thing I have ever read) and the comic book Sandman.

In Sandman he takes an old sci fi idea (the super hero sandman, who had dreams warning him of stuff) and twists it on it's head to create something really magical (the creature behind those- and all- dreams). Thats what I guess people are hoping to see here.

Actually, I kind of exaggerated / didn't clarify; I did read Good Omens myself (and yes is genuinely hilarious), but I was thinking more along the lines of Sandman, Neverwhere and so on. At the risk of generalizing, I always had him pegged as a bit of a dreary goth type, so there was a bit of unfounded prejudice / apthy. I have absolutely no reason to think that and probably must give his stuff a whirl sometimes :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sandman is, I must admit, a bit gothy, but his work for Marvel (1602) is not at all and is beautifully pencilled.

He's a really good storyteller, if you do get past the occasional outburst of gothyness :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Neil Gaiman's one of those writers I've always meant to read something by and never got around to. Maybe I will if I like tonight's episode. :p

Personally though it's the title I'm really excited about. I don't know if it's related to River or something completely different but either way something tells me it's most likely a huge red herring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Doctor, this time, can we lose the bunk beds?".

Lol.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Meh is all I can say.

That was cool! :O

I loved it. Not what I was expecting but very very good. Some spectacular acting all around, especially form Matt Smith.

Rory's repeated deaths is getting a little ridiculous at this stage though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Goggles are cool, so apprently are bunk beds.

That was a gem of an episode and a wonderful add on to the cannon.

"Thief, where's my thief?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

I thought it was a great episode.

'I'm a mad man with a box, without a box!'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Could we in future now refer to Rory as "The Pretty One"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It started off being the potential to be merely mediocre (oohh.. Timelords? Wait, no Timelords! Doctor's wife, eh? Wait.. no, it's the Tardis in human form! :eek:)... but it improved hugely as it went on.

And was genuinely a little choked up at the end!

Loved the "bunk beds" line.

PS - Rory also appeared dead this week, albeit an hallucination. He should go around wearing a red shirt each week! ;)

The TARDIS console that the doctor and Idris made was designed by a Blue Peter contest winner. I'm impressed...especially since the last Blue Peter Doctor Who contest resulted in Peter Kay absorbing people.

Manach wrote: »
    Could we in future now refer to Rory as "The Pretty One"?

Only if we say "The pretty one with the stupid face..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jamesbrond

Im finding this whole season a bit meh. And this ep was no different.
    What has happened.

I think the writers are trying to see how many times they can kill Rory. Next episode they'll find a machine and all it'll do is clone Rory constantly and then there'll be a killer robot and all it'll do is continuously kill all the Rory clones.

ríomhaire wrote: »
    I think the writers are trying to see how many times they can kill Rory I think. Next episode they'll find a machine that all it does is clone Rory constantly and then there'll be a killer robot and all it'll do is continuously kill all the Rory clones.

There's a game for that, it's call paranoia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia_rpg
    Every player's character is assigned six clones, known as a "six-pack," which are used to replace the preceding clone upon his or her death. As a result, Paranoia allows characters to be routinely killed yet the player can continue instead of leaving the game. This easy spending of clones tends to lead to frequent firefights, gruesome slapstick, and the horrible yet humorous demise of most if not all of the player character's clone family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

I quite enjoyed that episode. Thought Suranne Jones was very good as Idris.

Story started off slowly but picked up very quickly.

So does anyone care to speculate on what Idris said "The only water in the forest is the river"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Raedwald wrote: »
    I quite enjoyed that episode. Thought Suranne Jones was very good as Idris.

Story started off slowly but picked up very quickly.

So does anyone care to speculate on what Idris said "The only water in the forest is the river"?

Just my own thoughts but
    surely "river" must be River Song

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Well, the only thing that struck me was the inclusion of the word "river".

But that's about all I took from it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Haha - "The Pretty One", as soon as she said that I knew it would be Rory.

Overall I thought it was a strong episode - quite poignant, funny, tense; fair play to Gaiman for playing with the mythology a little and putting some interesting ideas into the mix. So the TARDIS chose the Doctor all those years ago, in as much he chose "her".

This episode also - effectively - explains why the Doctor always ended up landing in the middle of trouble: all along, it was the TARDIS' whims & apparent prescience to put the Doctor "where he needed to be". I think the title was less of an attention-seeker & more of a statement of truth. Let's face it, people come and people go, but The Doctor can't live without his blue box. I actually thought it kind of sweet :)

It's also worth pointing out that in one small scene, Gaimen managed to play out The Doctor's guilt for killing the Timelords with far more sympathy and pathos than (often) RTD managed. He's just looking for forgiveness, so tragic. Fair play to Matt Smith for a brilliant performance too: he ran the whole gamut of emotions here. From fevered desperation to meet the Timelords, to his usual energetic geekiness, then to the tearful "hello" between himself and Idris.

My only problem with the episode was that having finally seen the TARDIS interior, it ended up looking a bit drab, if not plain oppressing, notwithstanding the spooky lighting.

I presumed she was referring to River's death since the Vashta Nerada got into the library as the forest they originally inhabited was cut down to make the bookshelves It has already happened for the Doctor but not River which is why he said 'it will be important' (or something similar). Then again it'd be a bit weird to mention something that the viewers already witnessed. Maybe it's a hint about who River is? Whatever it means I'm convinced it's to do with River Song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

great episode. Did anyone think Idris looked a bit like one of the Sandmans siblings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 DonkyDonk

The missus is a big fan of neil gaiman. I never have him a chance (sandman was too goth for me too) but I have to say I really enjoyed it. Lots of original ideas and well executed. it also looks as if tim burton designed the sets & costumes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pixelburp wrote: »
    My only problem with the episode was that having finally seen the TARDIS interior, it ended up looking a bit drab, if not plain oppressing, notwithstanding the spooky lighting.

Yeah, that was disappointing. Finally get to see the inside of the Tardis, and all we see are corridors, and the old Tardis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

DonkyDonk wrote: »
    it also looks as if tim burton designed the sets & costumes :)

Right down to the Helena Bonham-Carter lookalike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

It seems the TARDIS' walkways are made out of the same sort of low-budget infinite corridors that appeared in the classic series. The Gallifreyans must have borrowed the tech from the BBC. :P

Thought that was a phenomenally good episode, really imaginative! Even the oh-look-Rory's-dead-again bit was gripping, it was one of the darkest moments I've ever witnessed from Doctor Who. So many great lines from this episode, too. "Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner." :pac:

I wish Idris could have stayed around for longer. I loved the dynamic between her and the Doctor, much preferred it to that of River Song. Ah well, the mad man with a box still "has what (he's) always had", I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Basq wrote: »
    Well, the only thing that struck me was the inclusion of the word "river".

But that's about all I took from it.

Wasn't the first ep where The Doctor meets River Song the forest of the dead? I supect this Dr will find a way to revive River, could be wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I thought the use of the old Tardis control room was quite nice actually... I mean, sure, they could have re-built the control room from the 3rd or 4th doctor but lets be fair 10's control room was always going to be easier to find in the BBC attic ;) And budget wise, re-constructing an old one would have been a bit of a splurge for a nod to the uber-fans.

Excellent episode, not read much, if any, Gaiman and impressed enough with this to delve deeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

I haven't read any of the Sandman comics but have heard great things about them, I'd heartily recommend American Gods, and they're making it in to a mini series soon which I'm delighted about :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Wasn't the first ep where The Doctor meets River Song the forest of the dead? I supect this Dr will find a way to revive River, could be wrong though.
    Well, a library would, no doubt, be kept dry... perhaps River being the "only water" (humans being 90-odd percent water) could be a clue to saving her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I really, really loved this episode :D

I have to admit, I'm a fan of Gaiman, and it didn't disappoint. but! did anyone else get a little bit of a feeling of stardust? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486655/ like the whole thing as a person bit, star/tardis in a human body?

Thought that was a phenomenally good episode, really imaginative! Even the oh-look-Rory's-dead-again bit was gripping, it was one of the darkest moments I've ever witnessed from Doctor Who. So many great lines from this episode, too. "Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner." :pac:

God yeah I totally forgot about this - I am amazed this got past the BBC head-honchos, that was an astonishingly dark, adult moment. "Kill Amy" scrawled around the corridor in (what was clearly) blood, while a deranged Rory goes psycho at his wife? Jesus Christ, that was a bit much; the Daily Mail's gonna love that.

Links234 wrote: »
    I really, really loved this episode :D

I have to admit, I'm a fan of Gaiman, and it didn't disappoint. but! did anyone else get a little bit of a feeling of stardust? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486655/ like the whole thing as a person bit, star/tardis in a human body?
    Yes it was a little allright; though only if Clare Danes from Stardust started acting like a lunatic & biting everyone :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

also, Amy was wearing the boots I've been planning to get for a while now in this episode :D

Well he already saved/will save her with her consciousness in his screwdriver and then using that so she can live on in the library's computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Well he already saved/will save her with her consciousness in his screwdriver and then using that so she can live on in the library's computer.

It initially thought that she meant River Song but firstly it was just too obvious for me and secondly the use of the word "the" ahead of river put me off it being her.

I'm sure we'll find out soon enough anywhoo

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Sleepy wrote: »
    I mean, sure, they could have re-built the control room from the 3rd or 4th doctor but lets be fair 10's control room was always going to be easier to find in the BBC attic ;)
    The console still exists - it's just on display in the Doctor Who Experience. I still wanted them to use it for this episode though!

Why's everyone calling her Idris? Sexy is a much better name.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I loved this one!
    Suranne Jones was a hell of a lot better then I expected, it was very touching, the Dr. and his longest companion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Splendid episode! I can't think of an any better or more fun way to have dealt with the TARDIS mythology. The back and forth between the Doctor and the TARDIS personified was just great, and the ending really was heart wrenching, I really felt for the first time in a long time just how alone the Doctor is.

And by god, whenever you hear I Am The Doctor these days, you just know something epic is about to happen :D

P.S - This really is quite a dark season so far, and I am very much liking it.
    P.P.S. - Also thinking Rory Redshirt should be a new nickname :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Also thinking Rory Redshirt should be a new nickname :pac:

Or Pretty the nurse. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not bad - much better than last week, that's for sure!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I thought this was a good episode. Thats 3/4 this season for me and a big improvement on the early part of season 5. I'm liking the darker elements I have to say and hope they stick with it. The trailer for next week looks like another dark one!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

Hmm I just watched the episode again and anyone else think the TARDIS energy is very similar to the Doctor regenerating energy and maybe the girl from ep2 is regenerating using TARDIS time energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

That was awesome - I've been saying for ages that I'd love a TARDIS based episode and it was better than I ever expected it would be...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I enjoyed it very much. Thought it was very exciting and entertaining.

I'm more of a pratchett fan then Gaiman but I've never been against Gaiman, in fact I find his writing style and humour quite similar to Gaiman's so I found House very reminiscent of Death from the discworld books.

It might be too much of a good thing, but it would be nice a few seasons down and a doctor or two later to actually have the embodiment of the tardis as a companion...I mean they grounded the third without a tardis for quite a while so its not exactly a big shake up, it be fun to have the notions that have been set with this episode be developed out for half of a season or something.

Overall strong characterisation and a episode that went on a fine variety of journeys. My only complaint is really minor missed beat with the doctor's big line 'Fear me I've killed all of them' when he went straight into faux celebration.

I hope Gaiman comes back for more.

Hmmm speaking of a human TARDIS as a companion, wasn't that done in the range of novels released between the old & new series? I seem to vaguely recall one of the companions being an experiment in creating a humanoid TARDIS ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

This was such a class episode. Next weeks looks pretty good to. Pity there weren't timelords there would be nice to be able to see a few more of them to add to a story.

• Advertisement
Advertisement