Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a bank account for a new baby

Options
  • 13-05-2011 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Does anyone know how one would go about setting up a bank account for a baby due to be born in several months time? Can the account be set up now or does it have to wait until the baby is born?

And what about granting others access to the account?

Any tips would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I would be interested too.

I tried to open an account for my new born nephew in my local credit union and I was told where to go.
    (in 2007 I opened an account for my niece at the same credit union).

My local bank also told me where to go as well.

So any help would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

my wife opened an accoutn for our son (now 20months old) on the day he was born, with ulsterbank ,
    both of us have access to the funds if we so wish

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Only the parents can open an account now for a child. Account opened up in childs name but parents need to have ID for usual account opening as child onbiously would not have id requirements for account opening

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    Only the parents can open an account now for a child. Account opened up in childs name but parents need to have ID for usual account opening as child onbiously would not have id requirements for account opening

I recently opened an account for my nephew with EBS. You need some paperwork from a parent and the usual stuff for yourself - ID, proof of address etc. Not sure of the answer re opening it before the child is born. I'd be surprised if you could.

I never knew about ebs just knew the boi/aib stand on it from friends who have babies you defo cant open it before baby is born u would have to state on the form name, address, date of birth etc plus if baby is not born you would not have an account name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

we have an account open in the credit union for our 2 boys and the grandparents have the account number if they want to put anything in.
    We needed there pps number to open the account,we find it very handy and have set up a standing order for money to go into both each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Thanks for the feedback everyone, but if anyone has definite info on whether you can open an account before the child is born that'd be great!

If you can't, I was thinking I could do it under my name and then grant access once the child is born?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭helen1

You definately cannot open an account for an unborn child as you need to have all their details including date of birth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Cianos wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Does anyone know how one would go about setting up a bank account for a baby due to be born in several months time? Can the account be set up now or does it have to wait until the baby is born?

And what about granting others access to the account?

Any tips would be great!
    Rebel1977 wrote: »

Nope, any one can open an account on behalf of a child. Depending on the age signing rules differ from bank to bank.
    Cianos wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, but if anyone has definite info on whether you can open an account before the child is born that'd be great!

If you can't, I was thinking I could do it under my name and then grant access once the child is born?

The child must be born and a birth certificate must be produced. Just save the funds and then open the account with these funds when the child is born.

Nope, any one can open an account on behalf of a child. Depending on the age signing rules differ from bank to bank.

The child must be born and a birth certificate must be produced. Just save the funds and then open the account with these funds when the child is born.

In the main Banks ONLY parents can open the account for a child

You don't have to produce a birth cert it's not essential to account opening.

• Advertisement

You can open an account on behalf of a child without a bc. In their name with a bc.

You don't have to be the parent in UB!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

You can open an account on behalf of a child without a bc. In their name with a bc.

You don't have to be the parent in UB!

So I can open an account on behalf of an unborn child, but the account is under my name?

I bank with Ulster Bank so I presume I could just go up and say I wish to open up another account on behalf of an unborn child, and transfer funds over to that?

Not for an un born child.

Advertisement