Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish connections in games

• 13-05-2011 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭

I played through Metal Gear Solid recently and had completely forgot about the end credits song being in Irish.

Any other references to Irishness in other retro games?

I seem to remember Tengen used to manufacture some of their Megadrive carts in Ireland - anyone any idea where?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Well..
    Atari were based here in the 80's in Limerick.A lot of VCS's and 2600s were made here (and there was even a version of the 2600 only ever sold here )
    A lot of their arcade cabs were made made here (and oddly enough I've heard of some sega ones made here as well.)
    Bushido blade on the PS1 had an Irish character, as does Tekken (Nina Williams and her sister). There was a leprechan arcade game were the stages were named after places like tara and the like ..have to search that one out though.
    there was also Tir Na Nog ( a speccy game from the eighties)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

Atari have had a presence in Tipperary since the 1970's, making arcade cabs and 2600's. There is also a NAMCO connection with the same factory as well as building cabs for other companies e.g. Midway. Unfortunately it was closed in 1998.

Not my photo - http://www.flickr.com/photos/13370784@N06/3595615743/in/photostream

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The japanese love our music, turns up in Forever Blue as well.

I was showing some paintings on the green last weekend and got chatting to a guy who was originally involved in animation.
    As we talked it turned out he was one of the founders of the Irish division of Funcom, a scandanavian owned games dev.
    They made the terrible Impact Racing and the great Speed Freaks, both for the PS.
    He told me all about the development and that Sony screwed them over, they put a lot of effort into Speed Freaks and just before E3 were told of Crash Team Racing, an almost identical racing game, there was talk of legal action as Funcom Ireland felt that a lot of their ideas were lifted wholesale into CTR, but it was never to happen and that was that, Funcom Ireland were simply shut, the offices closed with a minimum of notice.

Anyways, he was a really interesting guy and had lots to say about game development in the late 90's, a time when Sony really were the big bad bully on the playground.

heres that aracade game I mentioned ...its not great
    http://www.gamesdbase.com/game.aspx?mame=potogold
    Oh yeah, theres a few gaelic references in some of the castlevania gba games
    Cliamh Solas is one of the swords you can get ...and theres Balor(e)
    http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Balore

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shiny Entertainments games were developed by Dave Perry, an Irishman hailing from the North. So that includes games like Earthworm Jim, MDK, Messiah and he was also responsible for the Megadrive games the Lion King, Aladdin, Jungle Book and Cool Spot. I think that the oft overlooked Speed Freaks for the PS1 was developed in Ireland (ah ciderdude got there first).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

It's not retro, but Folklore for the PS3 was set in Doolin as well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Xbox games for europe used to be produced down the road from mein Balbriggan. Plenty would 'slip' out and Balbriggan was the place to be if you wanted to play Halo 2 over two months before it was launched. CD printing ha moved to Swords now.

Sega also produced Saturn games here. It's how I got my Panzer Dragoon Saga. The guy I bought it off had loads on unboxed saturn games and told me that it's because he worked in the place that Sega produced them.

There's always George Stobbarts visit to Ireland in Broken Sword.

If you like your game music then check out the Celtic Moon album which is a collection of Final Fantasy 4 music that is performed by Irish folk artists. It's a fantastic album and strange to see so many big names like the guys from Clannad doing videogame music back in the nineties.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Xbox games for europe used to be produced down the road from mein Balbriggan. Plenty would 'slip' out and Balbriggan was the place to be if you wanted to play Halo 2 over two months before it was launched. CD printing ha moved to Swords now.

Sega also produced Saturn games here. It's how I got my Panzer Dragoon Saga. The guy I bought it off had loads on unboxed saturn games and told me that it's because he worked in the place that Sega produced them.

There's always George Stobbarts visit to Ireland in Broken Sword.

If you like your game music then check out the Celtic Moon album which is a collection of Final Fantasy 4 music that is performed by Irish folk artists. It's a fantastic album and strange to see so many big names like the guys from Clannad doing videogame music back in the nineties.
    I've a few celtic moon tracks in the "favourite video game music" thread.
    Kind of a long shot but the name Cait sith from FF VII comes from an Irish legend
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_S%C3%ACth

Theres a section in one of the tomb raider games set in Ireland(A prequel bit in TR IV I think).
    Clive Barkers :the undying a pac game from the late nineties, was set in an Irish castle (atrocious voice acting btw).
    in one of the Street Fighter manga/anime/live action films M Bison is originally from Ireland..seriously!
    (It was the risable chun li film :
    http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/M._Bison )

Bit here about atari in ireland:
    http://www.gamedevelopers.ie/features/viewfeature.php?article=45
    i was on the radio talking with ex head of theirs a few years back , when there was a bit about arcades in Ireland to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Space invaders.
    Its not archive on RTE any more though...boo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Yeah remember reading about Speed Freaks developer Funcom in an Irish games mag when it came out (can't remember the name of that mag now actually). Remember playing it too and it was quite good.

Forgot about Nina Williams in Tekken! Not that she looked very Irish, more Scandinavian.

Actually searching for games set in Ireland brings up Siphon Filter 3 which has bits set in Dublin and dealings with the IRA. Never played it though.

Never knew about the Atari/Namco connection either. Are there any active developers making games in Ireland? Seeing as the government is trying to push the 'knowledge economy' and with a few colleges offering game development courses it'd be nice to see an Irish scene emerge.

Edit: It seems PopCap have an office in Dublin. Found this video on SiliconRepublic: http://www.siliconrepublic.com/video/v/510-ireland-as-video-games/

Can't watch it with sound in work so don't know what they're saying.

• Advertisement

In the cancelled version of counterstrike condition zero the final level takes place in a skyscraper in Belfast against the IRA. They've loads of skyscrapers up there I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Apple computers used to be made down in cork,so if you have one from the 90s take a look at the back

old archive page- http://www.rgaros.nl/computers/apple-cork/report-en.html

EA customer service galway- http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0526/breaking6.html

Some of sega cds where made in ire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Shiny Entertainments games were developed by Dave Perry, an Irishman hailing from the North. So that includes games like Earthworm Jim, MDK, Messiah and he was also responsible for the Megadrive games the Lion King, Aladdin, Jungle Book and Cool Spot. I think that the oft overlooked Speed Freaks for the PS1 was developed in Ireland (ah ciderdude got there first).

Not Dave Perry of Gamesmaster fame, who used to commentate with Diamond on some of the chalenges etc? I think he was part of Sega Power or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Tir Na Nog ( a speccy game from the eighties)

I used to love that game ... there was a prequel called Dun Darach. Made by Gargoyle Games, who also did Heavy on the Magik, and Marsport.

Must dig them out over the weekend ... good games, quite innovative in their day ... but they do all look a bit samey, with hindsight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

In Maken Shao you have to go to Ireland and visit Dublin Mc Guinness.
    Well Atari were based here in the 80's in Limerick.
    I never knew that, that's ahsum :cool:

EnterNow wrote: »
    Not Dave Perry of Gamesmaster fame, who used to commentate with Diamond on some of the chalenges etc? I think he was part of Sega Power or something...

Nope different person, same name. They get mistaken all the time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Activision's European HQ is here too, just off Parnell street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

There's a bit in one of the original Rainbow Six games where the IRA take over Big Ben, if that counts.

They're a lot thinner than their real world counterparts...

Atari in Limerick
    I was there once or twice ...albeit years later when I worked for Dell and it was their EMF1 plant.(' course I didnt know the buildings history otherwise I would have had a pope style ground kissing session in the car park.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Hibernia realm in Dark Age of Camelot is based on Ireland (place names of Howth, Tir Na Nog, Shannon etc.) and its lore (druids, bards, firbolgs etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dave Perry is one of the few creators I respect forever and ever.

And now I know he's Irish!
    Awesome.

So... where are all the Irish devs then?
    Apart from the VVVVVV guy (iirc).

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Apart from the VVVVVV guy (iirc).

Well you thought me something, didn't know he was Irish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I was going to say broken sword 2 but someone already got there.

Not retro but Atlas was "Irish" in Bioshock wasn't he? Well pretend Irish anyway

He was. The actor that played him was american but he actually did the accent well enough that he fooled me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, the Atlas accent was spot on, made the end game all the more interesting with the "revelations", meant we felt it a little more than most I reckon!

Reckon there have been plenty of Irish surnames on the troopers in COD, COD2, COD3 and CODWaW, of course it was never long before they joined their comrades from other minorities, trying to suck air through a ruined set of lungs, but such is life.

Nearly forgot the "authentic" Irish in GTAIV, the Irish/American gang the McRearys, possibly the inept gang in the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

EnterNow wrote: »

Different guy. Used to love the Emap magazines like Mean Machines that he used to write for. Read the Sega magazine that it split off to. The large format CVG was great too.

Can anyone remember the name of a magazine that was only around for a year or so. It was in the style of EDGE but would have been around around the time of the first Power VR 3D accelerator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

sengoku wrote: »
    Atari have had a presence in Tipperary since the 1970's, making arcade cabs and 2600's. There is also a NAMCO connection with the same factory as well as building cabs for other companies e.g. Midway. Unfortunately it was closed in 1998.

Not my photo - http://www.flickr.com/photos/13370784@N06/3595615743/in/photostream

Not to forget the old Atari Plant in Limerick (Now owned by Dell)

Different guy. Used to love the Emap magazines like Mean Machines that he used to write for. Read the Sega magazine that it split off to. The large format CVG was great too.

Can anyone remember the name of a magazine that was only around for a year or so. It was in the style of EDGE but would have been around around the time of the first Power VR 3D accelerator.

I preferred the C&VG from the mid 80's to the change in the late 80's, didn't like it all after that and it never got it's cred back imho.

As for the latter mag, the one that appeared in the early-mid 90's, that mag was Maximum, a great great magazine, it had great articles on the upcoming Saturn and Playstation with brilliant features on Wipeout and GunGriffon.
    The style was very like Edge but the art was amazing in it, not japanese or cheesy western stuff, more a cool technical style, wireframe of the various Wipeout tracks in the background of the text, that sort of thing.

I bought each issue as it was published, think it only lasted something like 6 issues before it vanished with a promise to return someday, still waiting!!

Was it Arcade? That was a quality magazine and comparing it to Edge isn't right, it was far better and more fun to read that boring Edge.

• Advertisement

He was. The actor that played him was american but he actually did the accent well enough that he fooled me.
    nope
    Karl Hanover , the uncredited (due to a SAG union snafu) voice of Atlas/Fontaine is Irish(from Glenageary in fact)
    http://thegamingliberty.com/index.php/2010/11/06/bioshocks-atlas-speaks-an-interview-with-karl-hanover/

Hmm.. was told different. Would explain how he did it so well then :)

Was it Arcade? That was a quality magazine and comparing it to Edge isn't right, it was far better and more fun to read that boring Edge.

That Gunstar Heroes score still burning away in your heart, is it??
    Must write Edge a letter asking for a correction, just to ease your pain! ;)

Actually heard that too, didn't they have a guy lined up but he wasn't as good as some Irish guy they had standing in as a temp voice? Something like that, and so the reason using it with his name credited was because he wasn't "In the Union" so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

"learner driver" in destruction derby 2 was irish wasnt he?.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That Gunstar Heroes score still burning away in your heart, is it??
    Must write Edge a letter asking for a correction, just to ease your pain! ;)

It's a combination of their arrogant attitude and the fact that their magazine is so boring I can never finish it when I buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

It's a combination of their arrogant attitude and the fact that their magazine is so boring I can never finish it when I buy it.

I Stopped reading Edge when I found this magazine a more entertaining read

may-2011-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

well there was Celtic Tales: Balor of the evil eye

and Sean Devlin The Saboteur was Irish also Colin Moriarty fromFallout 3
    Jack O’Hara from Commandos and the Malaria infected Frank Bilders from Far Cry 2

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I preferred the C&VG from the mid 80's to the change in the late 80's, didn't like it all after that and it never got it's cred back imho.

As for the latter mag, the one that appeared in the early-mid 90's, that mag was Maximum, a great great magazine, it had great articles on the upcoming Saturn and Playstation with brilliant features on Wipeout and GunGriffon.
    The style was very like Edge but the art was amazing in it, not japanese or cheesy western stuff, more a cool technical style, wireframe of the various Wipeout tracks in the background of the text, that sort of thing.

I bought each issue as it was published, think it only lasted something like 6 issues before it vanished with a promise to return someday, still waiting!!

It was indeed Maximum! I remember is just disappeared too :(

Read about 4/5 mags a month from front to back religiously for about 8 years. Used to love the CES editions. Thinking about them is making me wish I kept them all.

It was defo Maximum. I cannot remember Arcade at all.

Edge was pretty good in the mid 90's in fairness - if I remember rightly. I used to love the industry features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

One of the new characters in King of Fighters XI (Oswald) is from Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Aran Ryan from the Punch Out series is Irish. A lot of the music in Secret of Mana and the Suikoden games seem to be inspired from Irish music and the name of the protagonist from the first Suikoden game is called Tir McDohl-the plot even centers around raising an army to create a Republic and overthrow an oppressive Empire....maybe I'm reading too much into that one. Epona from the Legend of Zelda series is named after an Enya album and some Celtic mythological creature. Cait Sith from FFVII, or Cait Sidhe, is a Irish/Scottish mythological creature. Half of the characters names from Clash of Heroes are Gaelic. One of the early bosses in Dragon Quest VIII has a Dublin accent. And if Legend of Chun Li is considered canon M. Bison is Irish.

Oh and I agree that Edge is a steaming pile of pretentious crap.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Tir na nog on the Amstrad / speccy / c64.
    There was a sequel but the name escapes me. edit : Dun Darach.

Dun Darach :

Tir Na Nog :

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭evillive

I and a load of pals and fictional characters all appear on the starting high score credits for the levels in Championship Motocross 2001 featuring Rick Rarmichael - was made here by a company called Funcom and a friend who was one of the programmers stuck our names into the game - still waiting on the royalty cheque

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭evillive

there were a number of Irish levels in Tomb Raider Chronicles complete with dodgy priest (to be sure to be sure) and i think there may even have been leprechauns, i have a horrible feeling that there may even have been a cut scene of lara taking off her clothes that just stopped before her cartoon puppies were revealed - i think it was set on an island she was visiting as a young one - sorry wont be rebooting the game to confirm - can remember being not too impressed with it overall

a few very dated screen shots

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tr5/screenshots.html

evillive wrote: »
    there were a number of Irish levels in Tomb Raider Chronicles complete with dodgy priest (to be sure to be sure) and i think there may even have been leprechauns, i have a horrible feeling that there may even have been a cut scene of lara taking off her clothes that just stopped before her cartoon puppies were revealed - i think it was set on an island she was visiting as a young one -

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tr5/screenshots.html

Not a good combo. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Not a game (though it features in hundreds of games), but the Havok Physics engine was originally developed in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Irish people who worked on numerous Activision games are listed on various games under the localisation credits. I worked on Guitar Hero 3: World Tour, but sadly they messed up and didn't include half the team that year. Not retro, but very irish!

Morrigan from Darkstalkers is Irish really but is cited as Scottish in the game-though at one point Scotland was pretty much an Irish colony.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Morr%C3%ADgan

168808-12589-168808-Kawapaperdarkstalkers00000031600x1200jpg-620x.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Chyme Soft!

chymesoftcasetapes.jpg

I had these as a kid, I can't remember how I got them, vague recollections of buying them from the Harry Moore at the bottom of Grafton Street. (a long while ago..)

Classic text adventures with (countdown clock) timed events and minimum\maximum move scenarios. There may have been coloured or modified character sets as well.

Some harsh sudden death maze like areas put me off Starprobe, I can't remember if I ever finished Captain's Log.

Chyme Music Ltd.
    John F. Kennedy Drive
    Naas Road
    Dublin 12

---

Scans of inner and outer sleeves.

ChymeSoft.rar - 4.83MB

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UA5LA86F

Scans have a fixed width of 2000xHeight.

ChymesoftCaseTapes.jpg
    StarProbe.jpg
    StarProbe-Inner.jpg
    CaptainsLog.jpg
    CaptainsLog-Inner.jpg
    ChymeSoftTapes.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

evillive wrote: »
    there were a number of Irish levels in Tomb Raider Chronicles complete with dodgy priest (to be sure to be sure) and i think there may even have been leprechauns
    I forgot about that! Leprechauns lol I know what you're on about, thought they looked like sand worms with arms and legs, thought they were so funny! (17:50)

• Advertisement
Advertisement