Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did College St get its name?

• 13-05-2011 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering when College Street got its name. Is it relatively recent?

The name makes sense now that WIT have a campus there. I always thought the good shepherds was an orphanage, but maybe there was a seminary there too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

dayshah wrote: »
    I was just wondering when College Street got its name. Is it relatively recent?

The name makes sense now that WIT have a campus there. I always thought the good shepherds was an orphanage, but maybe there was a seminary there too?

The good shepard was an orphanage and wasn't that road called bunker's hill or are you referring to the cork road entrance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    The good shepard was an orphanage and wasn't that road called bunker's hill or are you referring to the cork road entrance?

It was established before on boards.ie that Bunker's hill is really called Manor Hill, but the name bunker comes an arms depot. Bunkers hill is just a nickname.

The lower half of the road is college street. The cork rd entrance is just the cork rd.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

dayshah wrote: »
    It was established before on boards.ie that Bunker's hill is really called Manor Hill, but the name bunker comes an arms depot. Bunkers hill is just a nickname.

The lower half of the road is college street. The cork rd entrance is just the cork rd.
    So the original question remains, When was College St named? and why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

It’s called College St because St John’s College up on John’s Hill was originally on College St. It was founded in 1810 and moved to its present location in the 1870’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Aarnikotka

It’s called College St because St John’s College up on John’s Hill was originally on College St. It was founded in 1810 and moved to its present location in the 1870’s.

Quite right, although I believe the seminary was founded in 1793. The land and the building were given to the Catholic Church by the Wyse family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

That street gives me the shivers with it Magdalen laundry, orphanage, asylum and christian brothers all within 200m ,could think of a more appropiate names for it.

Advertisement