Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slight chip in an enamelled sink

• 13-05-2011 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

Can anyone suggest a product that would mend a slight chip in a sink? It is really very small and is only visible because the white porcelain shows up beneath the jet black enamel.
    If I could just work in a little product into this tiny area I would not need (yet) to go to the trouble and expense of changing or removing the unit.
    There is an invisible hairline crack associated with this chip but there is no movement and of course I realise that nothing (except perhaps unseen reinforcement below with the likes of gorilla tape ) can be done for it.
    Does the product acryilic enamel hardener ring a bell?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

I would think something like an Epoxy Resin might do the trick/ However the colour might prove a problem being black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If needs be, you can always get it re-enameled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Yeah you can get a filler. Boat type enamel. I dropped a tile on my bath and it was quite a dent. Lad fixed it for €80, no need for a new bath and its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

Yeah you can get a filler. Boat type enamel. I dropped a tile on my bath and it was quite a dent. Lad fixed it for €80, no need for a new bath and its great.
    thanks
    so you find this product in a chandlers, do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Not sure geordief. I walked into my local plumbing store and told him my horror story. I thought I was looking at a new bath. The hole was about the size of a two Euro coin. He gave me the number of a lad and he sorted it out. Bath has been used 3-4 times a week since and no probs. Hope it helps.

• Advertisement

thanks .Well I typed in "marine enamel" and it seems to exist as a product.Maybe that was what he used.
    Actually , for what I have got- a large speck of white porcelain showing beneath the chipped enamel -I think a bit of silicon mastic might do after all.
    The colour shouldn't be a problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Would car filler do the same job for you,its resin based.

Would car filler do the same job for you,its resin based.
    well I would need it to be jet black and I don't know how to colour it - I've never seen it on sale in that colour. I think one of those black silicon mastics would work for me as it is such a small chip.The area is small enough not to need any sanding or even smoothing-just as long as I remove any excess.
    I can do nothing with the hairline crack (which is more or less invisible) but I think I will be able to hide the small chip in the enamel itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Clear Epoxy would be my solution. You can make it really black by mixing in photocopier toner.

Advertisement