Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta Sports Cup Final (Shamrock Rovers vs Dundalk) Saturday May 14th

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

doncarlos wrote: »
    So it takes you (and hundreds of others) three minutes longer to get to Tallaght than someone from Dundalk?

hmmmmmm smells like more lies to me....

Read the quote properly i said "it takes me 1hr10mins to get to Tallaght"

"so no 5 minutes for me or 100s of others"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

paulcorr wrote: »
    Read the quote properly i said "it takes me 1hr10mins to get to Tallaght"

"so no 5 minutes for me or 100s of others"

Yes and you said it would take Dundalk fans 1hr7mins to get to Tallaght. So that is 3 minutes quicker for a Dundalk fans to get there then 100s of Rovers fans?? You talk a serious amount of rubbish.

It was a home game for Rovers in the heart of Rovers territory no matter how long it takes you individually to get to the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

It was a home game for Rovers in the heart of Rovers territory no matter how long it takes you individually to get to the game

Despite all the theatrics from Dundalk about getting the home dressing room, dugout and even the end of the pitch Rovers warm up in?

Despite all the nonsense about Tallaght being too 'small', you still didn't shift anthing like your allocation. There were nowhere near 2,000 of you there, and they were tickets we could have used. But your clubs pigheadedness demanded you get the same number of tickets as Rovers so the atmosphere wasn't too intimidating. Net result, a half empty stand, which cost both clubs money.

Yes and you said it would take Dundalk fans 1hr7mins to get to Tallaght. So that is 3 minutes quicker for a Dundalk fans to get there then 100s of Rovers fans?? You talk a serious amount of rubbish.

Thats not what he said. We have supporters clubs in Trim, Mullingar, Arklow, Wexford etc. There was a gang from Blefast. They had the same commute you did.

What you said was its 5 minutes to Tallaght for Rovers fans and 1 hr 30mins for Dundalk fans.Im trying to get it into your head that Rovers fans have to travel to Tallaght too.I travel from Wexford to Tallaght all i said at the start of this conversation was it was a very poor support for a final.But if your average crowd is around 1500 compered to 5000 its to be expected.

Thats not what he said. We have supporters clubs in Trim, Mullingar, Arklow, Wexford etc. There was a gang from Blefast. They had the same commute you did.
    paulcorr wrote: »
    What you said was its 5 minutes to Tallaght for Rovers fans and 1 hr 30mins for Dundalk fans.Im trying to get it into your head that Rovers fans have to travel to Tallaght too.I travel from Wexford to Tallaght all i said at the start of this conversation was it was a very poor support for a final.But if your average crowd is around 1500 compered to 5000 its to be expected.

Fair enough I'm not disputing that fact that some Rovers fans had to travel for the game but the majority of Rovers fans don't come from these locations and have a relatively short journey. This was a home game for Rovers.
    I seriously can't believe you're even trying to argue about this.

Despite all the theatrics from Dundalk about getting the home dressing room, dugout and even the end of the pitch Rovers warm up in?

Despite all the nonsense about Tallaght being too 'small', you still didn't shift anthing like your allocation. There were nowhere near 2,000 of you there, and they were tickets we could have used. But your clubs pigheadedness demanded you get the same number of tickets as Rovers so the atmosphere wasn't too intimidating. Net result, a half empty stand, which cost both clubs money.

Who said Tallaght was too small?
    Like I've said to paulcorr we'd be delighted to give the value of 1500 tickets back to be divided up. Can you get this sorted for us please????
    If the club were going to lie about selling tickets sure they would say they sold less not more??

The atmosphere in Tallaght isn't too intimidating full stop. We couldn't hear a peep from the other stand during the game. There is two open sides to the stands and open sides to the ground. Factor in the strong winds and acoustics are terrible.

Who said Tallaght was too small?
    Like I've said to paulcorr we'd be delighted to give the value of 1500 tickets back to be divided up. Can you get this sorted for us please????
    If the club were going to lie about selling tickets sure they would say they sold less not more??

The atmosphere in Tallaght isn't too intimidating full stop. We couldn't hear a peep from the other stand during the game. There is two open sides to the stands and open sides to the ground. Factor in the strong winds and acoustics are terrible.

Your club did. They insisted on 50/50 ticket split despite the blinding obviousness that we would need more. That decision alone was the difference between 4,800 at the game (which would imply 1,700 Dundalk fans and neutrals / hoops in the main stand) and 6,000. Which would have been €7,200 more for each club.

Your board behaved like children for the whole run up to the cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

I might be wrong, but I thought neither club received any of the gate receipts. The only thing on offer from the final was the prizemoney.

• Advertisement

I might be wrong, but I thought neither club received any of the gate receipts. The only thing on offer from the final was the prizemoney.

You are wrong...

Your club did. They insisted on 50/50 ticket split despite the blinding obviousness that we would need more. That decision alone was the difference between 4,800 at the game (which would imply 1,700 Dundalk fans and neutrals / hoops in the main stand) and 6,000. Which would have been €7,200 more for each club.

Your board behaved like children for the whole run up to the cup final.

If it is so blinding obvious that Rovers would need more why was there still tickets available in the Rovers stand on Saturday?
    I have no problem with my board asking for a 50% split in the ticket sales for a "neutral" match. If Rovers had of sold their allocation by the time of the deadline issued to Dundalk Football Club by Setanta I'm sure we would have had no problem returning tickets Seeing that we are getting 40% of them (after match costs). Why would any club turn down a chance to make money?

I'll ask it again as you keep ignoring my question, will Rovers be happy taking their share of the value of 1500 tickets from Dundalk FC, after all that is the number of Dundalk fans that Rovers fans on here are claiming were there?

You are wrong...

Yes, Match costs are deducted from the total purse and the gate is divided 40% for each club and 20% for Setanta.

Including prizemoney it was a great earner for both clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

not trying to stir anything here or anything but why wasn't this game played at a neutral venue? i will admit i was not following the build up to this game or anything and have only read about it on here!i know dundalk got the home dressing room and that! just strikes me as weird that a neutral venue was not picked! im sure there is a logical explenation!

flas wrote: »
    not trying to stir anything here or anything but why wasn't this game played at a neutral venue? i will admit i was not following the build up to this game or anything and have only read about it on here!i know dundalk got the home dressing room and that! just strikes me as weird that a neutral venue was not picked! im sure there is a logical explenation!

What other venues were available?

If it is so blinding obvious that Rovers would need more why was there still tickets available in the Rovers stand on Saturday?

There were in the region of 20 sold when members didn't show up to collect theirs. We were mainly selling Dundalk returns, that came in far too late to get organised over. I know lifelong Rovers fans who had to watch this in the pub.
    I have no problem with my board asking for a 50% split in the ticket sales for a "neutral" match. If Rovers had of sold their allocation by the time of the deadline issued to Dundalk Football Club by Setanta I'm sure we would have had no problem returning tickets Seeing that we are getting 40% of them (after match costs). Why would any club turn down a chance to make money?

Because they are pig ignorant? More interested in wasting Setanta, the FAI and Rovers time than selling tickets?
    I'll ask it again as you keep ignoring my question, will Rovers be happy taking their share of the value of 1500 tickets from Dundalk FC, after all that is the number of Dundalk fans that Rovers fans on here are claiming were there?

You sold about 1,600 tickets for a 4,800 crowd. We sold 3,100 and were denied the opportunity to sell more. Shamrock Rovers. Subsidising mid table rural sides sice 1899.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately there wasn't anywhere else suitable. I think the idea was always to have the game in Tallaght if there was two Irish teams in it, and in Windsor had a Northern team qualified. The issue only arose when Rovers got in the final and the only people that had an issue with it was Dundalk.
    Yes it was unfair but there was no alternative.

What other venues were available?

of the top of my head, flancare, hour and half from both clubs!? athlone town stadium? im sure they would have put their game back to sunday if it was requested, extra revenue and all that!? tolka? dalyer?

if it was fixed for tallaght from the very start of the competition then fair enough i suppose!was just askin!

of the top of my head, flancare, hour and half from both clubs!? athlone town stadium? im sure they would have put their game back to sunday if it was requested, extra revenue and all that!? tolka? dalyer?

To be fair, those are daft suggestions.

Athlone holds 1,400. Tolka 3,000, Dalyer 3,600.

Compare and contrast Flancare and Tallaght for sponsors and the likes. Its a kip in the back arse of nowhere.

The RDS and Aviva were unavailable, they were the other venues looked at.

Compare and contrast Flancare and Tallaght for sponsors and the likes. Its a kip in the back arse of nowhere.

a rovers fan finally admits it! ha!

in all seriousness i was just asking, someone else answered the question without getting smart, thats all i was looking for!

• Advertisement

There were in the region of 20 sold when members didn't show up to collect theirs. We were mainly selling Dundalk returns, that came in far too late to get organised over. I know lifelong Rovers fans who had to watch this in the pub.

I know lifelong Dundalk fans that watched it in the pub also. Anybody that wanted a ticket for the game be it Rovers fan or Dundalk fan would have gotten one.
    Because they are pig ignorant? More interested in wasting Setanta, the FAI and Rovers time than selling tickets?

The sad part is you probably believe this. You really should stop reading the uneducated bile posted on the Rovers forum and expand your mind.
    The club worked their socks off selling tickets as we had a Wednesday evening deadline from Setanta. However Rovers had NOT sold their own allocation at this stage so we continued selling tickets.
    You sold about 1,600 tickets for a 4,800 crowd. We sold 3,100 and were denied the opportunity to sell more. Shamrock Rovers. Subsidising mid table rural sides sice 1899.

So it's about 1600 tickets now ;).

So we bring back 1600 * €15 and keep the rest? Sounds like a great deal. I always said you Rovers lads were all right and feel free to continue subsidising us for as long as you like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Getting back to the game I'm just disappointed that we didn't turn up on the day. Plenty of our lads just didn't perform. Kearns Gaynor and to a lesser extent, Quigley had very poor games. And Hector left behind his recent assured performances to return to his sketchy early season play. Disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The issue only arose when Rovers got in the final and the only people that had an issue with it was Dundalk.
    Yes it was unfair but there was no alternative.

Just to point out that this is the fourth SSC final (out of six) that has been played in the home ground of one of the finalists.

Of course, it's never really an issue unless it's Rovers. Kinda like posting Rovers handbag videos in a match thread when there was a near-killing on the other side of the city the night before.
    Pighead wrote: »
    Getting back to the game I'm just disappointed that we didn't turn up on the day. Plenty of our lads just didn't perform. Kearns Gaynor and to a lesser extent, Quigley had very poor games. And Hector left behind his recent assured performances to return to his sketchy early season play. Disappointing.

Byrne was an obvious loss. Quigley looked disinterested. Hopefully not his usual tail-off starting after a good start for the Duns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

You say it's a daft suggestion and then you say that Tolka only holds 3,000! Irony?

You say it's a daft suggestion and then you say that Tolka only holds 3,000! Irony?

I thought only the main stand and lego stand were used now? Riverside and Ballybough terrace closed off no?

stovelid wrote: »
    I thought only the main stand and lego stand were used now? Riverside and Ballybough terrace closed off no?

Ballybough isn't a terrace but yes the Ballybough is closed, Riverside is still allowed to be used, Cork fans were only in there on Friday, Mons and Limerick were there earlier in the season.

Ballybough isn't a terrace but yes the Ballybough is closed,

Terrace with seats tacked on. Whatever. :)

Would they allow the Riverside to be full though? As would have to be for a final. I heard most of it was not to be used any more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

You might just want to review some of those figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Pighead wrote: »

First half was about even, but Dundalk didn't turn up the second half. When Jason Byrne went off, Dundalk were just deflated.

5-1 I have practically forgotten about now :D

IvySlayer wrote: »
    First half was about even, but Dundalk didn't turn up the second half. When Jason Byrne went off, Dundalk were just deflated.

5-1 I have practically forgotten about now :D

League of Ireland champions
    All Ireland champions
    Have you forgotten that too.;););)

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    Terrace with seats tacked on. Whatever. :)

Would they allow the Riverside to be full though? As would have to be for a final. I heard most of it was not to be used any more?

Don't see why they wouldn't be allow use it, only place that we can't use is the Ballybough because it's not safe!? Yet it was closed before the Connaught St Stand and the away cattle shed in Drogheda is deemed safe?:confused:

I really hope that the Rovers boards are as clueless as some of your supporters. We'll happily give you the value of 1500 tickets sold and Rovers can give the value of 3100 tickets sold. Gate receipts are spilt 40/40/20 anyway so suits us.

Can you contact a member of your board please and tell them DFC would be delighted to go ahead with this.

Lets start again you say Dundalk sold 2500 the crowd was 4752 as far as i kknow,factor in maybe 50 freebies for fai and sponsers.This leaves Rovers having sold 2200 your having a laugh.Another fact you got wrong there is no split in the gate either.Remember this was an all Ireland cup so there would be 4 way split if any but it was just prize money on offer no gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Can't believe I wasted the last ten minutes of my life reading through this thread.

Shocking.

Advertisement