Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I start a blog?

Options
  • 13-05-2011 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, new to Boards.ie and want to know how to start a blog, any information much appreciated, thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from N&F.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

There are loads of options out there

Twitter: is like micro blogging. All your blogs can only be like 140 characters. It is more of a social networking thing though.

Tumblr: this is more a cross between a social network and a blog and is all about sharing.

Wordpress and blogger are really easy to use and you can spend an extra few bob to have your own URL to make it look really professional. All you have to do is create a account and then personalize it! The rest is up to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 brian duffy

1. setup an account with a hosting company (like hostmonster.com) and register your few domain name (e.g. www.yourblog.com)

2. Install wordpress (1 click)

3. Buy a wordpress theme ($35 approx)

4. Hire a graphic designer to replace the images ($70 approx)

5. Install a Google Analytics plugin and connect it to a google analytics account

6. Start blogging

Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

1. setup an account with a hosting company (like hostmonster.com) and register your few domain name (e.g. www.yourblog.com)

2. Install wordpress (1 click)

3. Buy a wordpress theme ($35 approx)

4. Hire a graphic designer to replace the images ($70 approx)

5. Install a Google Analytics plugin and connect it to a google analytics account

6. Start blogging

Good luck!!

You would do well to ignore that for the most part unless you are going for some sort of professional type setup.

I would guess if you are asking hoy you atart a blog installing wordpress on a webspace is going to be a bit hard for you.

I would ask the question what would you like your blog to do for you, there are a couple of free options like Wordpress or Blogger

Follow either of those links and you will be up and running in no time.

Any other questions ask away.

Adrain

• Registered Users Posts: 14 brian duffy

You would do well to ignore that for the most part unless you are going for some sort of professional type setup.

I would guess if you are asking hoy you atart a blog installing wordpress on a webspace is going to be a bit hard for you.

I would ask the question what would you like your blog to do for you, there are a couple of free options like Wordpress or Blogger

Follow either of those links and you will be up and running in no time.

Any other questions ask away.

Adrain

If you sign up to a hosting provider (like the one i recommended) that has simplescripts or fantastico then installing wordpress is a piece of cake and takes about 20 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

you certainly do not need the expense of the theme and images.

plenty of good un found themes if you search thoroughly.

Although, if you can get a decent theme and get permission to modify it, you're in business.

I've got my site (see sig) up and running and it's been serving me well. hostgator the hosts by the way. extremley good reputation and good prices for UNLIMITED bandwidth and storage....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 John_36

Well there are lots of ways you can go. Here's decent way to go.

1. Decide why you want to start blogging. What is the goal. Truly spend a little time on this because it'll be what helps keep you motivated down the road.

2. Decide on a blog topic. Unless you're starting a blog just to speak your mind and whatever comes to it, try not to generalize too much and write for everyone. Write just for a specific crowd and really focus in on them.

3. Pick a web hosting company for your blog. I typically tell everyone to stay away from free blogs for a number of reasons which I won't get into here.

For hosting, I've used and liked:

WP Blog Host
    eVentureBiz

WP Blog Host has an actual hosting plan which includes WordPress already installed on the account, so you don't have to worry about installing it, it's all ready to go.

4. Build your blog. It's important to get a few key things set up, like FeedBurner for your RSS and come up with what your blog's name is going to be.

Branding: Also, are you going to brand your name on your blog or brand a business name? For example, johndoe.com or blxcycling.com?

5. Develop a time schedule. How many times a week are you going to post. It doesn't have to be every day. One of the biggest hurdles for bloggers is time management.

Good luck.

Advertisement