Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pontoon Bridge Hotel

Options
  • 13-05-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Does anyone here know if the hotel is still open, can't get an answer by phone or email the last 2 weeks, maybe they're mad busy! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

They are open, but pretty busy. am getting married there next year but the times i've been there there place has been packed with people (mostly weekends)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

Thanks for that, I'll keep trying so. Best of luck next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They are open. Pretty crap not to be able to get hold of them though.
    I would go elsewhere if they cannot reply to you within 2 weeks tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

Does anyone here know if the hotel is still open, can't get an answer by phone or email the last 2 weeks, maybe they're mad busy! Thanks in advance.

the bridge, wouldnt recommend it

would you have been trying "healys in pontoon " ?
    fire there a few months back

Thanks for the replies.
    It was the Bridge alright, I eventually got them yesterday. Not recommended? Is there somewhere better nearby? It's for my mother in law, she was born there and fancies a visit. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.
    It was the Bridge alright, I eventually got them yesterday. Not recommended? Is there somewhere better nearby? It's for my mother in law, she was born there and fancies a visit. Thanks!

are you tied to pontoon ?
    if so you have no options

if its north mayo, you could try mount falcon (used to be hit and miss) dont know what its like now, there is the ice house in ballina or beeleek manor

if its mayo, plenty of nice places in westport

We're tied to pontoon. Those other three look lovely but outside my budget alas, thanks for the suggestions though. Next time, we'll break out and go to the ice house, it looks great.

They are open, but pretty busy. am getting married there next year but the times i've been there there place has been packed with people (mostly weekends)

Helimachopter, I've just read that a receiver was appointed this week, thought you'd like to know. We did manage to stay there a few weeks back, it was really nice but we did wonder how they were still operating with so few guests. I was sorry to read that this morning tbh, wonderful staff, lovely room, amazing views. Sad really.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The receiver seems to be running it as a going concern, though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The OH has spoken with the person in charge, so at the moment we're considering our options. Either way we've made it very clear that the only money we'll be handing over is the very small deposit we've already paid. The rest they'll be getting the night before the wedding!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Was sad to hear this hotel had gone into receivership (although based on reports it is still operating as a going concern with the same people managing)
    We got married there almost two years ago and couldn't speak more highly of the Gearys and the staff there.
    A sign of the times sadly.

kippy wrote: »
    Was sad to hear this hotel had gone into receivership (although based on reports it is still operating as a going concern with the same people managing)
    We got married there almost two years ago and couldn't speak more highly of the Gearys and the staff there.
    A sign of the times sadly.

you didnt get to know the gearys that well then

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

neiphin wrote: »
    you didnt get to know the gearys that well then

I didn't need to. On a professional basis they were A1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BettyJS

Just spent the weekend at a wedding in the Pontoon Bridge Hotel. Staff are wholly aware the Hotel is in receivership but you'd never guess it as the service provided was second to none. The girls in reception seemed to be taking calls constantly so I guess it's hard to get through. Anyway, I had a great time there and would advise one to check out their web page and book online.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Good for you BettyJS. I have had the opposite experience, attended 2 weddings and a dinner function in Pontoon Bridge and if I ever return it will be too soon. From the food to the temperature in the hotel to the service - all let downs. I am not surprised to hear it is in receivership.

Also - bedrooms, while the "superior" ones are of a normal standard, the "standard" rooms are like something out of the arc and so so cold at any time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

dollybird2 wrote: »
    Good for you BettyJS. I have had the opposite experience, attended 2 weddings and a dinner function in Pontoon Bridge and if I ever return it will be too soon. From the food to the temperature in the hotel to the service - all let downs. I am not surprised to hear it is in receivership.

Also - bedrooms, while the "superior" ones are of a normal standard, the "standard" rooms are like something out of the arc and so so cold at any time of year.

Agree completely. I will never again choose to dine there and when I see a wedding invite where the reception is based there I feel disappointed! Thankfully these are now few and far between to this place. My experience of weddings in the pontoon bridge during the boom times were that the gearys and staff fawned all over the bride and groom and their families and treated the rest of the guests terribly, they got away with this as who is going to turn around and insult and disappoint a newly married couple by informing them of the terrible service and attitude from the waiting staff. In the last couple of years things were different as they had to make an effort to try and get business, but unfortunately for them it didnt work.

BettyJS wrote: »
    Just spent the weekend at a wedding in the Pontoon Bridge Hotel. Staff are wholly aware the Hotel is in receivership but you'd never guess it as the service provided was second to none. The girls in reception seemed to be taking calls constantly so I guess it's hard to get through. Anyway, I had a great time there and would advise one to check out their web page and book online.

is that you betty geary ?

Advertisement