Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fossetts

Options
  • 13-05-2011 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Anyone been to Fossetts circus in Mahon, was it any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Fiona L wrote: »
    Anyone been to Fossetts circus in Mahon, was it any good?

indeed I have.
    I went there with my daughter on Wednesday evening.

My thoughts:

The acts were OK, only OK really.
    No animals in the acts but I'm OK with that, I felt animals at a touring circus isn't right.
    Too many 'filler' acts with the clown etc.
    They had one girl doing stuff on a rope up high and she was good. The last act, the same old wheel of death was interesting in that I actually think
    the guy was having a bad day, I think he nearly fell off the thing but recovered as if he was just dismounting. Circus Vegas did a better version of it, they even used the blindfold as the climax.

Prices were higher too, €10 for children and €12 for adults and that was just for side seats, price goes up for front seats and ringside...no benefit really
    in the more expensive ones, not that I could see,

Tent was packed, full house I'd say. They made a killing from the sweets stand but since I was with my daughter I didn't want to leave her on her own at the seats and sure if we both queued we'd lose our seats...took me a while to explain that to her!
    I brought stuff for her from home anyway...easter eggs still hanging around :D

Overall she enjoyed it but was disappointed there was no magic tricks, I on the other hand was well impressed with the trick they played on
    lots of parents by extracting crazy amounts of money from their pockets for nothing more than popped corn and sugar woven into floss ;)

My main gripe was the length of the interval, 30 minutes!!
    Seriously, I know circuses may be trying to make money but this was taking the p*ss. They dragged out the interval so they could make money by:

- Pony rides
    - Selling stupid flashing light things
    - Sweets etc (as usual)
    - Face Painting
    - Selling raffle tickets
    - Timeshares in the Algarve (nah, only messin...for now!)

The wait was hard for the younger kids, I explained to my daughter why I wasn't buying her any of the above and she was OK with that but still, we had to wait until all the other kids were spoiled sufficiently and the show could resume :)

I know I'm being very cynical but it's just for comic effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Fiona L

Thanks for the reply, my dd is 6 so she probably would think the whole thing is brilliant! I was going to bring my parents too coz Fossetts always had a great reputation as a circus. Not too sure now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

The above description is pretty spot on.

For me though, a circus without animals is just lame. Some manage better than others to fill the gap with people, but I have to agree that there are too many IMO, poor clowns filling in for the missing animals, it's still a transition period for them and they've [probably] failed to attract good human acts in the last three years since becoming animalless ~ horses N ponies aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

indeed I have.
    I went there with my daughter on Wednesday evening.

same here, I'd free tickets though :D

the guy in the united shirt had the patience of a saint to put up with that clown
    I wasn't too impressed by the film scene either

We were at the wrong angle to enjoy the guy with the hoops as any time he lifted his leg we'd to look away fast

the Hungarian family troupe were brilliant for their main act, as was that gorgeous woman on the rope

It finishes Sunday I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

It's the first time I've heard of a circus with no animals, tbh I'd be more tempted to go along now there's no animals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

cork45 wrote: »
    It's the first time I've heard of a circus with no animals, tbh I'd be more tempted to go along now there's no animals.

I have not seen this show, others can fill you in on it, but they used to have Rhino and Hippos, Elephants and Camels, Lions and one of the last white tigers too, but I stand to be corrected.

Last time they had a few horses and ponies, these being the only animals, that was last year, as I've mentioned I've not seen their show this season.

gbee wrote: »
    I have not seen this show, others can fill you in on it, but they used to have Rhino and Hippos, Elephants and Camels, Lions and one of the last white tigers too, but I stand to be corrected.

Last time they had a few horses and ponies, these being the only animals, that was last year, as I've mentioned I've not seen their show this season.

yes, a Rhino was used in a circus in Ireland, I can't remember if it was Fossetts or Circus Vegas but seriously folks, is an overflow car park the suitable area to keep a Rhino?

I don't want to turn this thread into the animal rights and circus thread so I'll leave it at that.

same here, I'd free tickets though :D

the guy in the united shirt had the patience of a saint to put up with that clown
    I wasn't too impressed by the film scene either

We were at the wrong angle to enjoy the guy with the hoops as any time he lifted his leg we'd to look away fast

the Hungarian family troupe were brilliant for their main act, as was that gorgeous woman on the rope

the guy with the hoops was a Limerick lad so I suppose it was nice to actually see an Irish entertainer in an Irish Circus....Fossets calling themselves Ireland's National Circus is a bit like Irish Ferries calling themselves Irish :rolleyes:

But yes, the lad with the hoops was hard to watch, OK he could bend all over the place but cringe, if he was around 100 years ago he'd be in a travelling freak show.

Advertisement