Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Rescuing" a tempremental 500gb external harddrive

• 13-05-2011 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

I have an Iomege 500gb External Harddrive which is bus powered by USB 2.0 (it's a model or two before this one http://go.iomega.com/en/products/external-hard-drive-portable/ego-portable-series-usb-3/ego-red-usb-3/?partner=4725) (in fact this is a pic of the model iomega_ego_red_key_fa4f_01.jpg)

However since day one, it's been a pita. I'll connect it and use it away, and then it will suddenly disconnect and reconnect for no reason at all. I could spend half an hour trying to do something and it might stay connected to whole time, or it might disconnect/reconnect 5 times. I've used it with 2 pc's and a ps3, and the same problem for all of them. There was a cable to two USB connection on it to provide more power to the device, but this doesn't seem to have helped it. There was also space for a PSU, which I have tried using, and the same issues arose.

Could anyone let me know if I could save this by getting a new enclosure for it, or is it just doomed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

It does sound like the enclosure is gone. You could probably pick up an enclosure for ~€15, might be worth the gamble tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭spiderjazz

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    It does sound like the enclosure is gone. You could probably pick up an enclosure for ~€15, might be worth the gamble tbh.

Thanks for the reply. The reason the enclosure came into my head is that I recently put an IDE hdd from an old laptop into an enclosure I got from ebay for around 6 quid, and it's working perfectly, far more reliable than the iomega one. I might pick one up and give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Matches

Take the drive out of it and you could put it in a desktop as a 2nd drive and see how you get on with it.

You could try a new enclosure which you would pick up pretty cheap on ebay.

Advertisement