Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day to day living costs in Dublin

Options
  • 13-05-2011 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi there

I’m new to Boards and soon to be new to Ireland… I’m moving from London with my boyfriend later this year. Before we head over, I’m trying to get a grip on every-day living costs, so I can put together a rough budget.

I know Ireland doesn’t have some of the costs we do here (such as water rates or council tax) but then you have others (bin collection etc).

Here’s a rough idea of our budget for a 2 bed flat in London – could anyone let me know what the likely comparative monthly outgoings would be for Dublin? We’re planning to live around the Grand Canal Dock area of the city.

Rent £1200
    Sky £40
    Water £11
    Electricity & Gas £50
    Council Tax £110
    Landline phone £20
    Home insurance £20

Thanks very much for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

Some of my outgoings pm

Tv/landline/broadband €60
    Contents insurance €15
    Gas & electricity €80

TV Licence €160 a year

Not sure on rents in that area but if you're renting an apartment, bins etc will usually be included.

Best of luck with the move!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

For a 2 bed apartment in the city centre, you might be looking at rough costs of:

Rent € 950 monthly
    Electricity € 75 monthly (With storage heating, no gas)
    TV/Phone/Internet € 60 (if you have UPC available, otherwise € 80 for sky tv + eircom phone and broadband)
    TV license € 160 per year.
    If you are in an apartment complex, bins are paid for by the management fee, which the landlord pays (usually). Otherwise, allow around € 200 per year for bins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

at least you will not have water rates or council tax to pay here. some food, clothes etc can be more expensive here, but not always.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 WelshExile

I don't have enough Boards posts yet to enable my 'thanks' button, but thank you to you all for your really helpful responses.

If anyone thinks of any other living costs I should take into account (I since remembered you need medical insurance in Ireland, isn't that right?) that would be great, but either way thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

You don't have to have medical insurance, there is a public system but this generally has a longer waiting list. I oat €68 pm month. Compare plans here http://www.hia.ie/ci/health-insurance-comparison

Either way you will have to pay for GP visits (approx €50) but can claim for this depending on your health insurance plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

I'm living near Grand Canal Dock in a similar style 2 bed apartment, my costs per month are as follows:

Rent: €1175
    ESB: €60
    Heating and Hotwater: €60
    UPC TV and Internet: €55
    Phone Credit: €40
    Unlimited Cinema Card €20

Myself and my partner put €1100 each (€2200) into our joint account to cover bills and food etc, we rarely have anything significant left at the end of the month.

There is talk of a water charge being introduced for each household, I think it's €180 per year.

Our rubbish collection is included in our rent.

Advertisement