Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dodgey gear shifter!

• 13-05-2011 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm having this annoying problem with the gear shift lever on my superfour.

Sometimes when I'm stopped, it gets completely stuck and i cannot, no matter how much force i put in, pop it up into neutral. It like its jammed. So i gotta hold in the clutch with my right hand and reach down with my left and jank it up to 2nd and then try and tap it down..i might have to do this 5 or more times as it pops between 1st and 2nd...driving me nuts! It's happening more and more regularly these days. Since I got the clutch cable replaced. Also sometimes when I'm a red light and the clutch engaged, the bike still moves forward slightly (not on a hill)..could it be that the clutch isnt working correctly and is causing this jamming??

Does this sound familiar to anyone?? hopefully it just needs a bit of lube in the right place. I'm after spending over 300bob on services and fixes over the last few months :(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I'd say your clutch cable isn't adjusted properly.

I'll have a look at it for you if you're around Kildare, had a superfour myself for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Yep, clutch not fully disengaging due to in correctly adjusted cable by the sounds of it.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Amateurish

paulieeye wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm having this annoying problem with the gear shift lever on my superfour.

Sometimes when I'm stopped, it gets completely stuck and i cannot, no matter how much force i put in, pop it up into neutral. It like its jammed. So i gotta hold in the clutch with my right hand and reach down with my left and jank it up to 2nd and then try and tap it down..i might have to do this 5 or more times as it pops between 1st and 2nd...driving me nuts! It's happening more and more regularly these days. Since I got the clutch cable replaced. Also sometimes when I'm a red light and the clutch engaged, the bike still moves forward slightly (not on a hill)..could it be that the clutch isnt working correctly and is causing this jamming??

Does this sound familiar to anyone?? hopefully it just needs a bit of lube in the right place. I'm after spending over 300bob on services and fixes over the last few months :(
    Does it give a bigger than normal jump when you go from neutral to 1st?, as the lads ^^ are saying its clutch adjustment most likely. Try getting into neutral while youre still rolling for a temporary solution, might be easier than when youve fully stopped. Pulling at a gear selector when youre stopped is begging for the bike to do a little wheelie minus the rider:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The clutch will take up some cable travel as it heats up.
    When cold there should be 3-4mm of slack in the cable before it tightens and pulls the clutch apart.
    If you have too much slack the clutch will not disengage properly and cause the dragging issue at rest.
    Check the lever and see how far the adjuster is wound out, it may need a couple of turns more and then lock it back with the locknut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

A short term solution, if you are trying to change to first when stopped at lights...
    Shut off the engine, change gear, start again.
    It will take the load off the half disengaged clutch for the moment needed to change gear.
    Always had that problem with an old GT550 i once used.

N.B. be sure your battery is healthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

i have had similar issues with mine but i just had to grab a handful of brake rock the bike a bit forward and back and it then pops into neutral... it's never great going into neutral always needs just the right kick but the rocking usually helped me when it outright refused to shift.. ive heard its a honda "feature" cause it was the same in my 08 cbr125.. and im hoping it's not true for the cbr600 im moving too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

inchiuvatu wrote: »
    i have had similar issues with mine but i just had to grab a handful of brake rock the bike a bit forward and back and it then pops into neutral... it's never great going into neutral always needs just the right kick but the rocking usually helped me when it outright refused to shift.. ive heard its a honda "feature" cause it was the same in my 08 cbr125.. and im hoping it's not true for the cbr600 im moving too.

believe the cbr125 has the same gearbox as the xr125, so tis fairly agricultural

cbr6 would be a whole different beast tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Del Boy will sort you out. He's a Dodgy gear shifter!! Couldnt resist,sorry:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Cheers lads.

I'm popin it into neutral now when i'm still on the move...much better.

Thanks for the offer kamikazi..i'll give it a go myself first and see how it works out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

Or when you're stopped, try rolling the bike forward with a little pressure on the gear lever. Should pop out of gear easily enough. Had a similar issue with my old CBR250R.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,433 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Get the clutch cable adjusted properly ffs... the bike should not creep at all in first gear with the clutch lever pulled in.

Having the clutch not disengage fully is dangerous. I had a very draggy clutch on my first bike when I got it and didn't realise, first time I came to a stop sign I went straight through the junction... nothing coming luckily! :eek:

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement