Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Used Bike

• 13-05-2011 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I know there are many "First Time Bike, starting off" threads and I think I have read them all at this stage. Yes I am starting off and I have an idea on what bike I want.

The question is what to look out for when checking the bike? Considering I have never done this before I don't even know where to start.

Also, what would you consider the acceptable mileage of the 13-14 year old bike should be?

Thank you all in advance!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I know there are many "First Time Bike, starting off" threads and I think I have read them all at this stage. Yes I am starting off and I have an idea on what bike I want.

The question is what to look out for when checking the bike? Considering I have never done this before I don't even know where to start.

Also, what would you consider the acceptable mileage of the 13-14 year old bike should be?

Thank you all in advance!

Check for oil leaks, tyre condition, brakes, spongy front rear shocks, check frame alignment and for dents and cracks, bring along someone who knows bikes.
    Good luck;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Theres so much that can be checked, it can be a bit overwhelming really... for example

Reckon one of the best indicators to a bikes condition/history/life is the attitude of the guy selling it.. if he says the reason why theres no service history is cause he does all the work himself, but yet cant tell you how many litres of oil it takes, then that'd be alarm bells...

If you can bring a friend or two (especially ones into bikes, engines, or mechanical noisy things), this sort of thing really benefits from multiple heads, and lots of eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I know from buying cars you are pretty much inspecting the owner as much as the car.

I might be buying a cheap bike from a dealership to save a bit of hassle. Then down the line buy a bike that I will really like when funds and experience allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

you cant really trust the mileage on bikes too much and not because people are trying to con you but for example my bike is 18 years old and the clocks say 28k, now thats because the clocks were changed and the Odometer isn't connected (which is something i must get around to fixing) but the clocks were changed by the owner before me so the old clocks could have read 60-70k.. i have had it on the road for 3-4 months now and done 1500 miles so far. so ill average 6000 miles a year on whatever bike i have,it depends on who owns it i suppose.

If its a standard commuter/courier bikes you could be talking up to 10000 miles a year... so if you look at one and it's 13-14 years old and only 28000miles (like mine) you know the mileage is probably not genuine.

if the bike is a super mint condition bike with 20k miles is it possible it was only used in dry weather and sunday runs for the last 10 or so years and the mileage hasn't been tampered with by accident or on purpose.

Some bikes do sit in storage and sheds for a years on end so it isn't impossible to find low mileage bikes... just lucky if it's genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Thank you all for the replies. It has certainly made me move aware what to look out for.

I know there are lot of things to be careful about and sometimes even the best machines will give you problems but I just don't want to be taken on.

I will for sure be looking on bringing a friend or two who know about the bikes. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Came across this recently and figured no point in starting a new thread...

First 7 or 8 minutes are fairly UK-specific (credit checks, insurance claim registers, etc.) but from about halfway through he gives a few good pointers about checking for physical evidence of damage/potential problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Dat necro revive. Omg

Advertisement