Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JayKHunter's OSW Review 99 - AEW Revolution 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

You didn't like WHAT BAAARRRR?
    What bar are the Simpons :p

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

Really enjoyed this one. Glad you put Heyman's bit in full at the start - was the first time I'd seen it and it was great to hear it and then your appraisal of it later rather than one bit all together.

Some genuine funny bits in it too - and top marks for the banshee bones reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Just watching the youtube now. 5,000 views in a day. Well done lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

jeffk wrote: »
    Seen the reviews but wasn’t really into what was reviewed until the ECW ones came along (I then watched the ready to rumble one). They are really well done and I am looking forward to ONS`06 and some of the WWECW shows.

Cheers for the feedback jeff and thanks for the kind words. On a tech point the PPV footage is sourced from the DVD (480p, sometimes 576p) so there wouldn't be much point in encoding in 1080p. I really only do 720p for the little HD symbol :o The show does go to pieces sometimes but that's what we're like around each other anyway! They're generally my favourite parts of the show as opposed to more considered discussion. Tons of serious pods out there already. I wish other podcasts were more silly.
    Acceptable in the 80s is our theme song (for the first ~30 episodes), I asked a friend to do a mid-90s metal version better suited to ECW. Check out the rest of the WCW episodes, esp Slamboree - one of my favourites :)
    Deadlie wrote: »
    Really enjoyed this one. Glad you put Heyman's bit in full at the start - was the first time I'd seen it and it was great to hear it and then your appraisal of it later rather than one bit all together. Some genuine funny bits in it too - and top marks for the banshee bones reference.

Cheers mate! It's up there in all-time favourite promos. Huge Paul Heyman fan. I originally mixed the Heyman promo and our analysis together but it sounded really weird so I split them up again.
    Just watching the youtube now. 5,000 views in a day. Well done lads.

Thanks mate. Had it up earlier in the week on another channel, until Warner Bros released their claim on our Scooby Doo episode. Hooray! One more for the bad guys

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Cheers for the feedback jeff and thanks for the kind words. On a tech point the PPV footage is sourced from the DVD (480p, sometimes 576p) so there wouldn't be much point in encoding in 1080p. I really only do 720p for the little HD symbol :o The show does go to pieces sometimes but that's what we're like around each other anyway! They're generally my favourite parts of the show as opposed to more considered discussion. Tons of serious pods out there already. I wish other podcasts were more silly.
    Acceptable in the 80s is our theme song (for the first ~30 episodes), I asked a friend to do a mid-90s metal version better suited to ECW. Check out the rest of the WCW episodes, esp Slamboree - one of my favourites :)

You’re welcome Jay.

I download them off youtube at the full 720p and it looks excellent, as good as a dvd.

Ah I do like the sillyness of it (ala botchamnia), just as times it goes to the point of being overhearing a conversation and people could lose interest. Adlib or unplanned parts are good, but not lets be silly to be different to the rest.

I’m downloading the Slamboree episode as we speak (hurry up with the next ECW one hint hint)

• Advertisement

Oh man we're a monthly show, we couldn't be farther away from a new episode! Seriously, like end of next month most likely but I keep everyone abreast of the editing (ooh err).

I always wonder how new fans get on with the show as we've a ton of in-jokes that form over time. Like What Bar started at Survivor Series 91!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

jeffk wrote: »
    Ah I do like the sillyness of it (ala botchamnia), just as times it goes to the point of being overhearing a conversation and people could lose interest. Adlib or unplanned parts are good, but not lets be silly to be different to the rest.

I've seen Maffew of Botchamania lose the plot over mixed messages and satisfyiing different tastes in the past.

OSWReview is a WELL established show. If there's something you don't like there's others that really do (me :p).

Oh man we're a monthly show, we couldn't be farther away from a new episode! Seriously, like end of next month most likely but I keep everyone abreast of the editing (ooh err).

I always wonder how new fans get on with the show as we've a ton of in-jokes that form over time. Like What Bar started at Survivor Series 91!

Oh well there is loads of other videos I can watch there in the meantime,even if it is WCW.

Like the fella that said about joining Nexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing I could ask of OSWReview these days is more episodes. I have no complaints. Perfect watch. Don't change!

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing I could ask of OSWReview these days is more episodes. I have no complaints. Perfect watch. Don't change!

Aye but always try to improve and don't get stagnate either - which you don't seem to be showing signs of.

• Advertisement

Thank you Mitch! I do feel bad about the wait between episodes. It'd be sweet doing this for a living and banging them out.
    rovert wrote: »
    OSWReview is a WELL established show. If there's something you don't like there's others that really do (me :p).

Thanks Rovert, we won't change our basic setup but I'm always looking for ways to improve the show.

Is there anything you guys would like to see in the ONS 06 review?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Bit of the backstory on the Foley/Funk match would be good, I think I remember reading in one his books that nobody in WWE really wanted Funk anywhere near it. His promo on why he hates ECW was decent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭blackpotato

I really liked this review.
    In the past, I've slightly ranted (nothing too harsh I hope!) about OOC's sometimes outrageous opinions, but I've noticed since then that he doesn't try to be deliberately controversial, he is brave and honest enough with his opinions, and I respect that a lot. I do disagree with him sometimes but that's ok, it's all just subjective I guess. I think saying he hated The Honky Tonk Man was what upset me most. Honky was one of the few heels I loved back in the day, there were 1 or 2 others but not too many! Looking back now, he probably was a terrible wrestler, but back then WWF was mostly "superstars" vs "wrestlers" on a weekly basis or what folks would call job matches or squash matches. It made it easier to make guys like Honky look better, and it also was a way to make any Intercontinental champion look good, that was the kinda active belt while Hogan very rarely appeared on Superstars.

I did laugh at Rollerball Rocco being from 1925 even though I shouldn't have. I grew up on World Of Sport wrestling. I'd learned to hate the top good guy in the form of Big Daddy long before there was Brother Hot Dog or the *****ter as he's now known in some circles. That was before my 1st time seeing WWF on ITV in 1986!
    To be fair, Big Daddy was way more lame and cheesey and awful than Hulkamania ever was. The UK guys off World Of Sport did wrestle in Swords in Fingallians GAA club in 80, 81 or 82. I only know I was too young to be allowed go, and my older bother got scared senseless when Rasputin The Mad Monk went over the top rope and landed on the front row of fans there.

I found a clip of OSW Review 2013 awards on youtube. I thought the pic of you guys with Dixie Carter was very cool. I at least now know what you guys look like if I ever do spot any of you around Dublin! And I totally loved that you all have WWE title belts with big TNA logos slapped on them. I dunno what I'd say if I met Dixie Carter, the only thing I like about her is that Rockstar Spud has her entrance theme as his ringtone on his phone!

I recently posted on here that Steve Austins podcast is really good. If anyone listened to his interviews with Eric Bischoff on the strength of that, I have to apologise. It was very boring and the only TNA referance was "You did a little bit of time in that Florida territory" or words to that effect. It wasn't great. My guess is Bischoff isn;t allowed talk about it publicly yet, either that or he just won't.

I always thought "What bar?" is pretty universal, I mean you got the Wonka bar there which I'm sure most folks would recognise and who hasn't ever looked at a wrestler and said "Look at the state of this guy, he looks like a..." even if it's not a bar! I'd even say at the risk of being unpopular that 1 show a month is plenty. I mean sure I'd watch if there were more shows, but keeping folks waiting for something isn't a bad thing, listening to folks asking "whens the next show" could probably get annoying fast.

I do remember ONS from 06 a lot better than the 05 version, I think I liked it a lot more too. People hated Cena properly back then! I know OSW review think he's a good guy who maybe isn't a great wrestler but I'd be a bit more harsh, I think he's just terrible in a lot of ways. Anyway, the ONS 05 looks great and it was very entertaining.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Bit of the backstory on the Foley/Funk match would be good, I think I remember reading in one his books that nobody in WWE really wanted Funk anywhere near it. His promo on why he hates ECW was decent too.

Iirc Foley wanted Vince to be part of the angle but Vince a) has little time for Foley and b) said that he was focusing on his feud with Shawn Michaels. I don't believe they got much TV time to build up the match.

I found a clip of OSW Review 2013 awards on youtube. I thought the pic of you guys with Dixie Carter was very cool. I at least now know what you guys look like if I ever do spot any of you around Dublin! And I totally loved that you all have WWE title belts with big TNA logos slapped on them. .

I thought that picture was really funny, like the joke is on Dixie somehow :pac:

1 review every month or so is plenty imo. Too much of a good thing etc. Besides, Jay puts so much work into them that to do it more regularly would probably be a fulltime job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Thank you Mitch! I do feel bad about the wait between episodes. It'd be sweet doing this for a living and banging them out.

Thanks Rovert, we won't change our basic setup but I'm always looking for ways to improve the show.

Is there anything you guys would like to see in the ONS 06 review?

Honestly the amount of OSW Episodes released is perfect. I find the (YouTube) shows that are churned out on mass get repetitive sooooo quickly. After a while you don't feel like you miss anything if you miss a posted video.

Since maybe I'd say about SS 90, OSW has been a mouthy-ish event I always look forward to. It's a bit like a can't miss WWE PPV every month!!! And as said we can only imagine the amount of work Jay puts in editing, even more of a head scratcher when you add the fact I believe two of the lads are junior doctors (I.e work a trillion hours a week).

I personally love anything that goes a bit off topic. The stuff like talking about Rubbish Ronnie, the callback rant of Virgil's tenner, What Bar??? The big break theme, The ever present Simpsons link. Or the likes of when he ran down and ridiculed all of Ed Leslie's countless gimmicks.

I'll throw something out there for ONS 06. Might be stupid but as I said just throwing it out. Probably my favourite moment of the PPV is Edge "piledriving" Beulah as he got the one, two, three. The tiniest of tweaks which just showed who amazing the character of Rated R "hide your wife" Edge was. Total creep, dirtbag and heel heat to beat the band.

In the 30 odd years you guys have followed old school wrestling/ new school wrestling what are the great "pins" in wrestling history IYHO??? Borga with the finger? Jericho's flex? Goldberg's leg thingy? Warriors foot on Macho? 123 kid on Razor? Yadda yadda yadda ya catch my drift?

"Podcast Killer" iMPACT review!

This week’s iMPACT caused Bryan Alvarez (F4W) to quit covering TNA, and Review-a-Wai to consider quitting. So of course I had to watch it.
    Here’s the review! Featuring Jay from OSW Review and Rory from PiledriverWrestling.net
    Featuring padded rooms, a horn-off and lesbian pollen!

14179743327_3fa8e5ebc7_o.jpg

iTunes: iTunes.PiledriverWrestling.net
    Android: RSS.PiledriverWrestling.net
    Direct MP3 link:here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Some of that felt eerily like the conversation between yourself, myself, Rovert and gnfnrhead in the Impact thread except perhaps slightly kinder on TNA as you didn't hate the individual episode you reviewed twas a good listen though and (like most of your Piledriver crossovers) a nice lil different bonus while we wait for the next OSW ep

Wasn't too mad about about the podcast tbh. The show open slayed me though.

Preferred Dylan Hale's "first timer's" take on the current TNA product: http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2014/06/05/tna-impact-june-5-review/

Didn't Foley want Funk to bite Vince on the arse or something in the build up to the match?

Foley was making it out to be the greatest idea ever in his book even though it was a **** idea.

• Advertisement

Definitely, the WWE/TNA rip-off thing has been in my head lately, although it's definitely warranted - the problem isn't that it's a rip-off, but that it's poorly done. Also it seeps into general wrestling/and reviews of films, that people point towards nitpicks to explain why they hate something instead of bigger reasons. (eg Cena can't do a hiptoss, but his wrestling'd be fine if his character wasn't no-selling feuds with embarrassing 7-year old humour)

What was so caustic about this week's iMPACT though? The talking segments in a row are all like 30-60 seconds each. Maybe if people watching it live as opposed to taped it's a slower experience.

Didn't Foley want Funk to bite Vince on the arse or something in the build up to the match?

Foley was making it out to be the greatest idea ever in his book even though it was a **** idea.

Would love to know if Foley was simply padding out his book with that stuff. Much like he tried to pass off his match with Sting at Lockdown as this big thing when most fans only had vague memories of when the book was eventually released. Or if he was just delusional or just blinded by his love/admiration of Terry Funk.

Didn't Foley want Funk to bite Vince on the arse or something in the build up to the match? Foley was making it out to be the greatest idea ever in his book even though it was a **** idea.

Yeah, Hardcore Diaries. Kick off the feud by having Funker bite Vince's ass and complaining how their match should've main evented! Really weird to see him so far off the mark. Maybe it's incredible in his head or would've done better in mid-90s ECW but it fell on it's face.

Yeah, Hardcore Diaries. Kick off the feud by having Funker bite Vince's ass and complaining how their match should've main evented! Really weird to see him so far off the mark. Maybe it's incredible in his head or would've done better in mid-90s ECW but it fell on it's face.

Terry was never a "WWE Legend" and his knees were totally and completely shot. Terry walking about the Raw ramp wasn't pretty when they shot the angle for his return for ONS II.

Ah it's World Cup time, so for the past 3 days I been trying to catch up on wrestling because I know over the next few weeks, I'm going to lag behind a bit. 16 yr old me is going to hate now-me for saying this but there's probably too much wrestling out there to really keep up with everything.
    I discovered this TNA review just this morning as I was just about to watch last weeks Impact so if nothing else, it made watching Impact very interesting.
    I have today just 1 friend who watches wrestling, and he only watches TNA. 10 years ago myself and himself would watch every Raw, every Smackdown and every WWE PPV and he was into it. But today, he only watches Impact and hasn't looked at much WWE since it went PG. Around a week ago I told him about the stuff TNA has done that is just more than a coincidence that WWE has done something suspiciously similar and this week, my friend told me he didn't watch last weeks Impact. I told him there is this One Night Only show with TNA and Wrestle 1 that we haven't watched yet, but with less than 2 hours to the Mexico vs Cameroon game as I type this, I don't think I'm gonna see much wrestling over the next few days!
    I think my point was 2 weeks ago Impact was a lot worse than last weeks one! I thought that show being reviewed was pretty decent for TNA. It's only 2 years ago that Impact was my fav show of the week in wrestling and I've always defended TNA and I've said as much here before, but I thought with no Russo, no Hogan and no Bischoff (apologies for putting Steve Austins podcast over on this thread, straight after I did it, I heard his podcasts with Bischoff, a boring boring man) that a golden age might dawn for TNA. I was very wrong though. I am a huge fan of Chris Daniels and AJ Styles though so that's why I have problems with TNA now, is Chris Sabin gone too? Or Abyss? (I miss Joseph Park, I know the gimmick had to end but I loved it!)
    I'm glad this podcast didn't take a dump all over TNA, I agree with like 90something% of everything said in it. I laughed at Samuel Shaw's pic of Gunner, I hope he draws a set of male genitals on Gunners forehead and that leads to a fight! I suspect they'll end up being buds, but I hope they end up brawling! Either way, I think Sam Shaw is funny. I even think Robbie E is funny too and my friend who up until 2 weeks ago was into TNA, he's a big Rockstar Spud fan too.
    I am a huge Bully Ray fan but recent weeks mixed with OSW Hulkamania memories make me wonder if all that time with Hogan last year hasn't given Bully some of Hogans more Huntish traits, it's something I've levelled at Cena before too, trying to hog the limelight and be the top guy, the "Face of the company" while someone else is the world champion. It's EY's time now, if probably only for a short while.
    I like the Magnus swerve too. It looked for a while like it was all heading to Magnus vs Bram, but it isn't that way, so that actually surprised me.
    I thought the Willow gimmick was going to be a heel turn for Jeff at the beginning of it, because he kinda did heelish beatings on Spud with weapons after matches and he battered someone else too in a heelish way with their ankle in a chair but I can't remember who. But instead, I look at Willow and think "I love Jeff Hardys self-made ring entrance music, I'm a huge fan of his matches, I wonder if he's back on the gack, it's hard to tell with that guy!"
    If anyone deserves a Willow umbrella for free, it's Jay Hunter. I want one for free too, but I don't have a podcast or friends for that matter so I wouldn't begrudge anyone any free swag!
    I wouldn't say I'm super-hyped about Slamiversary to be honest, but again, there are easily enough decent wrestlers in TNA to have some great matches although I just realised there's no Bobby Roode involved so now I'm just upsetting myself here.
    Again, I liked the review, I have to say I mostly liked Impact too. I'm glad Joe is back.
    I used to call Bobby Lashley a name not unlike Bluetista back when he was in WWE. Ony a real Nogger will work out what it was, the end of the name I used to call him in 2005 was tista though!
    The pic posted in this thread of Gunner and Sam Shaw in a padded cell is gong up as the background on my computer for at least the next 6 days! I absolutely love it!

Someone on Twitter posted this:

BqHwgD0IYAAHXzi.jpg

Essentially you can never end the show or slip in quality to any degree for this man's sake.

Or change the shows name to Wrestling History simply to see if the guy with the tattoo gets that inked too, and if he does, change the shows name again to New School Sports Entertainment Revisionarium!

rovert wrote: »
    Essentially you can never end the show or slip in quality to any degree for this man's sake.

My first thought was "holy ****!! Wow!!", my second was what you wrote :o Blown away someone would do this. Hasn't really sunk in.

Lance Storm did an AMA on Wreddit which drew my attention to this blog post where he offers an excuse for his carny died blonde ponytail that OSW ripped into http://www.stormwrestling.com/022814.html

• Advertisement

Ah the dyed blonde rat tail

14486996013_504c95dfe7_b.jpg

Advertisement