Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any PC Engine owners out there?

• 13-05-2011 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

With the Dreamcast hardware journey about 70% complete now (can't buy a 1st run SLG 3000 any more so am awaiting v2.0) I'm planning ahead to the next big journey, the world of the PC Engine. *ooooooh* :D

Any of you funsters out there own one of these? What's best to go for? A Duo (R/RX or just 'Duo' makes no difference apparently) or just HuCards?

Of course the only question I care about begs:

"Do I need a Duo for SHMUPS or were the best games all cards?"

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Duo is pretty much essential. Some of the best games on the TG16 were CD based. Notonly do you have stuff like Castlevania but for shooters you have super Air Zonk, Gates of Thunder, Sapphire, Spriggan, Lords of Thunder and I think Star Parodier was CD as well. Also most of these games are outrageously expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Good to know the Duo is the way forward. Yeah I got a bit of a fright at some of the game prices for the PC Engine. It might even be worth delaying in order to concentrate on cheaper hardware like PSX, PS2 etc.

Even then I got a fright at some of the 'creme de menthe' SHMUP's on the PSX.

Like I say though, just planning ahead, costing the parts and more importanlty, planning on how to hide how much it actually costs and the justification of buying "old tat" (her words not mine!) from the good woman! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS1 shooters aren't that expensive unless it's something like Gaia Seed. They have nothing on the prices that Sapphire go for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    PS1 shooters aren't that expensive unless it's something like Gaia Seed. They have nothing on the prices that Sapphire go for!

Good to hear PSX SHMUP's are well priced as I've just got my paws on an NTSC one to collect at the weekend!

I think the PC Engine will take some proper planning, lots of research and a lot of luck in securing the right one. Looks like a relative ocean of great and obscure titles to bathe in. Lovely jubbly! :D

I also hear Duos are hard to source and expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

One of its classic ports,just astounding,and yes its a pc engine!-

Some of the SNK Neo Geo ports for the arcade card are absolutely amazing.

Advertisement