Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Marathon 2011 'Seasoned' Runners thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

dev123 wrote: »
    The pacing strategy has changed for Athlone this year.

It is now 90% for the first quarter and 95% for the for the second and 3rd quarters, so for the 3 hour pace that works out at 7:38min/miles up to a max of 7:14 min/miles.

The 2:45 pacers will be starting at 7:00 and moving up to 6:37 min/miles for the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

http://athlone3quarter.com/faq.php

The FAQ says "Pacers will be running at the equivalent of 3, 3.30 and 4 hour pace.". There's a more detailed pacing table, but no indication that there'll be pacers for 2:45 PMP.

Correct me if I'm wrong here....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

brownian wrote: »
    The FAQ says "Pacers will be running at the equivalent of 3, 3.30 and 4 hour pace.". There's a more detailed pacing table, but no indication that there'll be pacers for 2:45 PMP.

Correct me if I'm wrong here....

Well spotted Brownian, I never was big on the small print!!!.

Sorry SJ, it seems that there will only be pacers for the equivalent 3, 3.30 and 4 hour pace.

Looking back at the table it would be a bit unrealistic to have pacers for each of the time bands. I suppose it is an indicator of what pace you could run at if 2.45 was your goal.

That sort of pace won't be of concern for me come October 2nd.

Apologies for the confusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Sub 3 is my goal so the pacing for the 3/4 is just dandy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Art of Noise

Ticking over for Dublin.
    1:26 in Phoenix Park half last saturday.
    A good comfortable 22 miles long run today at about 8.15 mpm pace. Will do a slightly quicker long run in a couple of weeks.

A good running week for me. A fine 3/4 race today in Athlone. Only 2 more LSRs. Nearly forgot to register for the DCM. Did so now. Didn't realise the cut-off was Monday. A close shave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

For the first time ever Holidays got my training back on track rather than derailing it....2 weeks of 60mpw+ in 30deg midday sun has toughened me up considering had been averaging only 30mpw, rarely exceeding 40mpw. Risky upping the mileage so much but paid off as no niggles and feel in good shape now. Probably just about held the weight static also which is rare again for hols.

Wrong forum for this bud.:mad:
    <Snip>

Got a new Garmin 305 back today for the banjaxed one I sent on to them....have been running 'blind' for the last 6 months so will now be able to finally check where I am pace wise for the marathon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pateagle

I recently completed Berlin Marathon in 3:04, was disapointed as I was looking to break 3 hours for the first time. Signed up for Dublin last night so following a 4 week follow on plan. Any one else with the same plan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

pateagle wrote: »
    I recently completed Berlin Marathon in 3:04, was disapointed as I was looking to break 3 hours for the first time. Signed up for Dublin last night so following a 4 week follow on plan. Any one else with the same plan ?

pateagle I ran 3.04.52 in Berlin 2010 and 2.59.02 in DCM 2010... TBH I didnt follow any real plan.. For me it was just a case of ticking over nice and easy... No long or hard stuff.... U need to let the body recover from Berlin as much as possible and at the same time b relatively fresh 4 Dublin... Best of Luck...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

liamo123 wrote: »
    pateagle I ran 3.04.52 in Berlin 2010 and 2.59.02 in DCM 2010... TBH I didnt follow any real plan.. For me it was just a case of ticking over nice and easy... No long or hard stuff.... U need to let the body recover from Berlin as much as possible and at the same time b relatively fresh 4 Dublin... Best of Luck...

+1
    Would never reccommend this but seeing as you have signed up effectively the next months training should be two weeks recovery followed by 2 weeks (i guess you could call) taper. Best case Berlin helped you psychologically cop with being close to sub three and the few weeks to freshen up give you better chance to iron out minor mistakes made. Worse case the cumulative stress on the body wont allow you to run to your potential.

Hopefully it is the first:)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭RoverHogan

Hi pateagle, I'm doing the same. I ran 3.09.29 in Berlin, was looking to break 3. I've no goal for Dublin yet, I'm going to wait until race week and decide then how the body feels! I'm following a multiple marathon plan from P&D, so its basically 2 weeks recovery merging into 2 weeks of taper. The aim is to get to the start line fully recovered from Berlin and injury free. We must be a little mad:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

I did Dingle & Dublin a couple of years ago (5 weeks apart) and found that I suffered from the lack of a plan! My training was ok when I was following a structured marathon plan, but without a plan between marathons I was all over the place. I've no suggestions for what that plan should be, just that you should have one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Are you looking to break 3 hours in Dublin? Are you following the P&D 4 week plan? I'd be interested in hearing how it goes for you.

2nd last LSR yesterday. 32k at 4:44 pace on trail loops. 91k for the week. The taper is nearly upon us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Great to get to the end of the hard training. I just finished a 72 mile week, ugh.

I'm just trying to figure out what to do over the next 3 weeks - looking at a few sources and trying to mash it together into something that works.

Decreasing long runs, weekly mile interval sessions, a good few easy runs with some strides and not much at all in the last 4 days. It looks like 52, then 39, then 26 miles over the next few weeks.

Hopefully that will do it??

Great to get to the end of the hard training. I just finished a 72 mile week, ugh.

I'm just trying to figure out what to do over the next 3 weeks - looking at a few sources and trying to mash it together into something that works.

Decreasing long runs, weekly mile interval sessions, a good few easy runs with some strides and not much at all in the last 4 days. It looks like 52, then 39, then 26 miles over the next few weeks.

Hopefully that will do it??

Ah, the black arts of tapering.....

The idea of a taper is to basically take the fatigue out of your legs but keep the running efficiency and speed there - how much you need to taper depends on how much fatigue you've built up in the legs i.e has the mileage been really peaking over the last few weeks?

I like to do plenty of strides in my easy runs, in interval session I reduce the number of reps and increase the recovery time between reps but keep the pace in the legs. A good taper reduces the volume but not the intensity i.e if you always typically did a midweek medium long run with PMP miles, then just reduce the lengtht of it by a few miles and maybe if it typically contain 8 miles at PMP, do 2x3 miles at PMP instead....so you still have the intensity of running at marathon pace, but not as much fatigue building up. Same for an interval session - if you usually did 5 x 1km with 3min recovery, you could do 5 x 600m instead with 4min recovery.

I think it helps with Taper madness if you continue doing what you've always been doing, but a lite version of it volume wise. I think people can go astray in tapers by trying to do runs that are totally different than what they've been doing for last 12-18 weeks and can throw them out of routine.

I think key also for the last 3 weeks is to watch the diet - no point putting on needless weight now so be extra vigilant on the junk food.

I'm also hitting the vitamin C (berocca) for the next few weeks to try to stave off any colds/flus which could scupper me.

Yup, that's pretty much the way I'm handling it. Having said that I am introducing intervals to my Tuesday evening run. Usually I just go out and blast out 8 miles at about 6:10 per mile. I 'm going to allow 3min recoveries between 1 mile intervals now - and only do 4 intervals maybe. A small change but I dont think it'll be negative.

Also taking some random vitamins I found lying around. Centrum I think. Cant do any harm.

There's a 7mile race I would like to take part in next weekend, but dont think its such a good idea, even though one source I looked at, (maybe it was P&D), recommends a 4 or 5 mile tune up race 2 weeks pre marathon. Will make a decsion on the day I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Good resource some of you may be interested in on tapering (I know its a little late now for alot of runners)

http://www.usatf.org/groups/Coaches/library/2007/EnduranceTraining/Tapering-DrJoeVigil.ppt#265,10,TAPERING STRATEGY

Nearly there now. Last medium distance run out of the way. Could have swam this morning it was so wet. Ran 2nd half of my run faster than MP. Hope its a good sign.

• Advertisement

Not too happy about recent gale force winds either. Could barely manage 8.30 pace today with the wind in my face.

Lets hope for a calm day on Monday next.

Nearly there now. Last medium distance run out of the way. Could have swam this morning it was so wet. Ran 2nd half of my run faster than MP. Hope its a good sign.

Its a good sign.

All ready to go now...got all the kit together to make sure I had missed nothing as doing a lot of travelling this week. Got a cheap €2 pair of gloves that I can discard during the race, tried out my gel belt a few times and its actually very comfortable. I'll be taking two SIS caffiene isotonic gels 5-10 minutes before the race start and then carrying 6 Hi5 isotonic gels with me - plus salt tabs to dissolve in the 300ml bottles (half tablets wrapped individually wrapped in clingfilm).

Was going to wear the Asics DS Racers but ran last night in Nike Lunaracers and they felt so good that am going to use them instead.

Bin liner for the start. Bodyglide for the sensitive parts. My lucky shorts & club singlet ready to go.

I'm making the assumption sun cream will not be neccessary...

HR monitor threw a bit of a wobbler this week but sorted it with a new battery

I think I've got everything covered, only thing I am missing is some LSR's....oops. Didn't go above 18 this training cycle but then again, last year in the final 10 weeks training my 3 longest runs were 15, 17 & 18 and hit my target so hopefully will be ok as have way more medium length runs this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ELFOYZER

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Its a good sign.

All ready to go now...got all the kit together to make sure I had missed nothing as doing a lot of travelling this week. Got a cheap €2 pair of gloves that I can discard during the race, tried out my gel belt a few times and its actually very comfortable. I'll be taking two SIS caffiene isotonic gels 5-10 minutes before the race start and then carrying 6 Hi5 isotonic gels with me - plus salt tabs to dissolve in the 300ml bottles (half tablets wrapped individually wrapped in clingfilm).

Was going to wear the Asics DS Racers but ran last night in Nike Lunaracers and they felt so good that am going to use them instead.

Bin liner for the start. Bodyglide for the sensitive parts. My lucky shorts & club singlet ready to go.

I'm making the assumption sun cream will not be neccessary...

HR monitor threw a bit of a wobbler this week but sorted it with a new battery

I think I've got everything covered, only thing I am missing is some LSR's....oops. Didn't go above 18 this training cycle but then again, last year in the final 10 weeks training my 3 longest runs were 15, 17 & 18 and hit my target so hopefully will be ok as have way more medium length runs this time around.

Hey Gringo. What bout -
    Shades?
    Nurofen Plus??
    Arrets??? (let's hope not!)

ELFOYZER wrote: »
    Hey Gringo. What bout -
    Shades?
    Nurofen Plus??
    Arrets??? (let's hope not!)

Shades - only if its a particularly sunny day, otherwise find them a hindrance. They're in the bag anyways.
    Nurofen Plus - have never taken anti inflammatorys during a race, don't think I'll start now in case it upsets my stomach. Will be wearing compression socks during race & also taking salts on board so this should stave off the cramps and excessive aches & pains.
    Arrets???? Not a clue what they/that is/are?

They're for the sh1ts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

hi lads, this is the time when i usually work out my mile split paces for dublin, i like to run even effort throughout so i usually make up a pace band giving me slightly more time on uphill miles and slightly less time on downhill miles.
    i think il go for sub 3 this year but it will be very tight
    i am just wondering do any of ye have info that can help me make my pace band, if anyone has a log of their marathon last year it would help, i just want to know where to give and take seconds in relation to the course profile. if anyone can help id appreciate it

hi lads, this is the time when i usually work out my mile split paces for dublin, i like to run even effort throughout so i usually make up a pace band giving me slightly more time on uphill miles and slightly less time on downhill miles.
    i think il go for sub 3 this year but it will be very tight
    i am just wondering do any of ye have info that can help me make my pace band, if anyone has a log of their marathon last year it would help, i just want to know where to give and take seconds in relation to the course profile. if anyone can help id appreciate it
    Have you considered running with the 3hr pace group?

They're for the sh1ts!

So sorry to hear you suffer like that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

Have you considered running with the 3hr pace group?

yeah i probably will keep them in sight, i definately wont be going ahead of them, i would still like to have a band all the same just to keep my mind at ease
    will the pacers run even effort or even pace?

• Advertisement

Gringo78 wrote: »

They're for the sh1ts!

So sorry to hear you suffer like that :D
    Ha,ha. The nerves, the excitement...
    what can I say.

Looking forward to it now.

Advertisement