Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Marathon 2011 'Seasoned' Runners thread

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ELFOYZER

ELFOYZER wrote: »
    Have you considered running with the 3hr pace group?

yeah i probably will keep them in sight, i definately wont be going ahead of them, i would still like to have a band all the same just to keep my mind at ease
    will the pacers run even effort or even pace?
    I believe they run very steady throughout. Worth tagging along with them for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭RoverHogan

hi lads, this is the time when i usually work out my mile split paces for dublin, i like to run even effort throughout so i usually make up a pace band giving me slightly more time on uphill miles and slightly less time on downhill miles.
    i think il go for sub 3 this year but it will be very tight
    i am just wondering do any of ye have info that can help me make my pace band, if anyone has a log of their marathon last year it would help, i just want to know where to give and take seconds in relation to the course profile. if anyone can help id appreciate it

this might help: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68588259&postcount=667

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

That post by tunguska last year really covers it very well. Certainly the two steepest bits are kilmainham and roebuck; the latter is really short and shouldn't cause you any issue.

Funny that he mentions the bridge over the canal at grand canal dock - this was really noticeable at that stage of the run, though any other time you wouldn't blink at it. Put the boot in from there on in!

Pacers are the biz, tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Plodman

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Its a good sign.

All ready to go now...got all the kit together to make sure I had missed nothing as doing a lot of travelling this week. Got a cheap €2 pair of gloves that I can discard during the race, tried out my gel belt a few times and its actually very comfortable. I'll be taking two SIS caffiene isotonic gels 5-10 minutes before the race start and then carrying 6 Hi5 isotonic gels with me - plus salt tabs to dissolve in the 300ml bottles (half tablets wrapped individually wrapped in clingfilm).

Was going to wear the Asics DS Racers but ran last night in Nike Lunaracers and they felt so good that am going to use them instead.

Bin liner for the start. Bodyglide for the sensitive parts. My lucky shorts & club singlet ready to go.

I'm making the assumption sun cream will not be neccessary...

HR monitor threw a bit of a wobbler this week but sorted it with a new battery

I think I've got everything covered, only thing I am missing is some LSR's....oops. Didn't go above 18 this training cycle but then again, last year in the final 10 weeks training my 3 longest runs were 15, 17 & 18 and hit my target so hopefully will be ok as have way more medium length runs this time around.

Hi Gringo78

I bought Nike Lunaracers a few weeks ago and absolutely love them - the feeling of speed is incredible. However, I found that I could not get past 13 miles in them on a LSR. Changed to DS Racers with no problems at all. I'll keep the Nikes for 10K races. If you haven't used the Nikes for a long run I'd be wary as there may not be enough support in them for you over longer distances. If your experience is different best of luck - just thought I'd share my experience just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good luck well seasoned runners. Lets all make the best of the training we've put in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

Could be some interesting tactical running based on the current wind forecasts.
    Last 6miles should be quick http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=4862 ... I anticipate a lot of hiding before then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Good luck to everyone tomorrow- especially Elfoyser who I had the pleasure of running a pretty fun 18 mile workout with and Early Evening who I met at the HM...!!! I can't wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Best of luck to all you well seasoned runners. Are a lot of you waiting to see what the conditions are tomorrow to firm up on time goals?

My goal is/was 2.55.. But if it's going to be mad windy, I think I'll be trying to tuck in with some sort of a group, be it the sub 3 with the pacers or maybe just a bunch that happens to be heading off at 6.40 pace. If it's a windy day, the last thing I want is to be stuck in no man's land 2 minutes faster than a large sub 3 group.

Any of you out there aiming for in and around 2.53 - 2.57 fancy running together in an informal group? If so, I'll be in a luminous yellow running top.

Best of luck to all you well seasoned runners. Are a lot of you waiting to see what the conditions are tomorrow to firm up on time goals?

My goal is/was 2.55.. But if it's going to be mad windy, I think I'll be trying to tuck in with some sort of a group, be it the sub 3 with the pacers or maybe just a bunch that happens to be heading off at 6.40 pace. If it's a windy day, the last thing I want is to be stuck in no man's land 2 minutes faster than a large sub 3 group.

Any of you out there aiming for in and around 2.53 - 2.57 fancy running together in an informal group? If so, I'll be in a luminous yellow running top.

Hey Forest- I'm targeting a 2:56 wouldn't mind working together for a bit if it suits-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Good luck all. Will prob see a good few of you tomorrow.

I'll be in a my boards singlet with a rain jacket around my waist (unfortunately).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Sound Drquirkey,

I'm going to try and get myself out in front of the sub 3 group hopefully by the time we hit O'Connell Street. I'll be in a bright yellow top and hopefully running around 6.40 pace. If I'm in no mans land by the time I'm out of the park with no group, I might ease off the pace. All a bit up in the air with the weather at the minute. We'll try and enjoy the day in any case.

Forest-

I'll be in a grey technical t and am fairly short w/ a shaved head...I'll lookout for you around O'Connell St!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Good luck all!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ELFOYZER

Best of luck to you Drquirky and all boardsies tomorrow. Have a great run.

Advertisement