Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Extra seating recommendations?

• 13-05-2011 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

I want to fit a couple of seats by the sliding door of my van, I'll have to measure it to see how much space I have but it will be quite tight! I have been looking around for car seats that would be suitable but haven't really found anything as of yet, would also prefer to have a seat belt fitted to the seat rather than retro-fitting seatbelts. I'm thinking of seats from a bus, as they should have seatbelts on the seat but looking for two single seats and a bit of comfort.

Also the frame of the seat would need to be raised a bit so as not to be sitting on the floor! The other option is to get/make a couple of box seats as seen in a lot of VW campers.

Can anyone recommend seats that would be suitable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Furgo

Seats from a bus should work ok and have the legs to reach the floor maybe better than a car seat. Have you tried any scrap yards?

You could also try and companies that do conversions they generally have a few odd seats lying around from previous conversions and many would have the seat belts integrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Bus seats aren't cheap, and most bus companies won't sell them because their own ones get vandalised. I went with a seat from a cavalier, and took the lap belt out of the back and bolted it to the seat. It was a remarkably simple job, and the catch was fixed to the seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Furgo wrote: »
    Seats from a bus should work ok and have the legs to reach the floor maybe better than a car seat. Have you tried any scrap yards?

You could also try and companies that do conversions they generally have a few odd seats lying around from previous conversions and many would have the seat belts integrated.

I've tried one scrap yard, but mainly older buses in it with no seat belts on the seats wasn't in the best of shape either. Was in a Renault Master Minibus and the seats in it were exactly what I was looking for, been looking at companies that do minibus conversions but most of them in England. Second hand would also be cheaper so I'll try a few more scrapyards to see if anything turns up!
    Bus seats aren't cheap, and most bus companies won't sell them because their own ones get vandalised. I went with a seat from a cavalier, and took the lap belt out of the back and bolted it to the seat. It was a remarkably simple job, and the catch was fixed to the seat.

Was the seat from the cavalier very low to the floor? The legs on a bus seat would suit perfectly, I plan on moving the leisure battery below one of the seats! How did you fix the seat to the floor? Im thinking of boring a hole in the floor to make a hole to bolt it in place, otherwise screw it through the wood and metal floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

stevire wrote: »
    Was the seat from the cavalier very low to the floor? The legs on a bus seat would suit perfectly, I plan on moving the leisure battery below one of the seats! How did you fix the seat to the floor? Im thinking of boring a hole in the floor to make a hole to bolt it in place, otherwise screw it through the wood and metal floor.

I built a square frame to the dimensions of the seat runners and made an educated guess of the height I wanted. Bolted the seats to the frame and the frame to the floor. Drilled holes through the frame and floor.

P1020652.jpg

Lined and covered
    Campervan_adventures_186.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

If I was doing this , I'd look for front seats from a jeep or people carrier . they generally are more upright than car ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Keep an eye on Donedeal - bus seats with belts do come up occasionally. You also might find a cab passenger bench seat, but you may only have one belt on that, and a lap belt for the inside depending on the age. Minibus seats are no frills but not too wide and not too deep.

Advertisement