Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

competiton authority raids ifa hq

• 13-05-2011 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

according to ifj facebook page:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Does this mean the IFA sub will be coming down...

Strange occurrence, be interesting to see what comes out of it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

The complaint was made by a large retailer, no mention of who it is on the radio news.
    IFA offices raided in pricing inquiry
    SEÁN MAC CONNELL, Agriculture Correspondent

The Competition Authority has raided the offices of the Irish Farmers Association in Dublin as part of an investigation into possible milk price fixing.

About 15 authority officers and a Garda detective raided the association’s headquarters in Bluebell at about 10am.

They left at 4.15pm with a large number of files.

IFA president John Bryan said the raid was unacceptable.

"Taxpayers’ money is being wasted to target farm families struggling to cope with increased costs and collapsing margins for their milk, while the retail multiples pillage the profits out of the food supply chain, screwing both suppliers and consumers,” he said.

In a statement, the authority said it is empowered under the Competition Act to investigate alleged anti-competitive behaviour either as a result of a complaint or on an own-initiative basis.

Where evidence of anti-competitive behaviour was uncovered, the Competition Authority may bring court proceedings against the parties involved or refer the matter to the Director of Public Prosecutions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Seems that some Major unnamed retailer has decided to take the IFA head on and break it or at least damage its reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Seems that some Major unnamed retailer has decided to take the IFA head on and break it or at least damage its reputation.

Ah well, they were quick enough to be cheerleaders for the competition authority when it was raiding other people.

Sauce, goose, gander.

No doubt they will be stoic and philosophical, and take it on the chin.

• Advertisement

LostCovey wrote: »
    Ah well, they were quick enough to be cheerleaders for the competition authority when it was raiding other people.

Sauce, goose, gander.

"Taxpayers’ money is being wasted to target farm families struggling to cope with increased costs and collapsing margins for their milk, while the retail multiples pillage the profits out of the food supply chain, screwing both suppliers and consumers,” he said.

Maybe not........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Maybe not........
    explain please

whelan1 wrote: »
    explain please

Sorry whelan1, I meant that maybe the IFA won't be grown-up and philosophical about their own tactics being used against them.

Maybe they won't rise above it, and maybe they will resort to whinging about it.

LC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I can see this getting very nasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭stanflt

brings me back about 15years when the convoy saga was on and the comp auth were involved or not involved which ever suited them on the day of the court cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Sauce, goose, gander.

When did the comp authority ever defend farm gate prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

While it's a disgrace that it happened and farming is arguably the most competitively efficient industry in Ireland. John Bryan sounded less than innocent on Drivetime yesterday evening. He nearly sounded guilty. Aside from that, shocking that they'd do this.

rancher wrote: »
    When did the comp authority ever defend farm gate prices

How could anybody think that a body called the COMPETITION AUTHORITY exists to defend prices????????????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

That's right. Raid the farmers over the price of milk, but let the bankers who brought our dear country to its knees free.

I dont hear much call on the streets to jail the farmers, not the bankers!

How could anybody think that a body called the COMPETITION AUTHORITY exists to defend prices????????????????
    I thought they were defending the supermarkets right to screw the farmer yest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I don't understand what they could even be looking for. The only thing I can think of is if the competition authority believe that the IFA has information on supermarket chains about price fixing or a cartel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

• Registered Users Posts: 7 EAMONNHEALY

Lost c Have you aproblem with farmers trying to get a fair and profitable price for our milk
    Do you think it is right that the multiples have amargin bigger than our sale price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

ravima wrote: »
    That's right. Raid the farmers over the price of milk, but let the bankers who brought our dear country to its knees free.

I dont hear much call on the streets to jail the farmers, not the bankers!

what does the competition authority have to do with the collapse of our banking system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Let's think for a minute about the statutory regulation bodies in this country.

Financial regulator. Failed the country miserably. Got himself a nice fat lump sum and a fat pension for the rest of his miserable life.
    Central bank governor. Ditto the comments about the other dickhead mentioned above.
    Secretary general of dept of finance. Still in his cushy job.
    Taxi regulator. Did Ye see prime time. Another useless burden on the tax payer.

Think back about the competition authority. Can anyone ever remember anything of any note they ever done which in any way, benefited Joe Soap in this country.

These bone heads, just got bored in their offices. VWhat do they do? Tip off the media that they are popping down to make a fuss at IFA hq. How in the fcuk else did RTE happen to have the cameras there.
    Nothing will come of this little piece of theatrics. Nothing. More money wasted.

And to think the government on our behalf borrows money from the ECB and the IMF, to pay the fat salaries, lump sum pay offs and pensions of these clowns. Then they (government), come along and steal money from our pension savings, to pay back the ECB and IMF, the money they borrowed in the first place.

• Advertisement

Write it up on your calender, protest next wednesday in dublin. This action by the comp. authority is huge insult to every irish farmer, every IFA member,& our national officers. Show support for our Farm Centre and your disgust at the actions of comp authority, Be there!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

rancher wrote: »
    Write it up on your calender, protest next wednesday in dublin. This action by the comp. authority is huge insult to every irish farmer, every IFA member,& our national officers. Show support for our Farm Centre and your disgust at the actions of comp authority, Be there!!!!!

enjoy your pointless day out, it will be almost as pointless as the competition authority raiding the IFA - unless there are hidden secrets in bluebell.

Lost c Have you aproblem with farmers trying to get a fair and profitable price for our milk
    Do you think it is right that the multiples have amargin bigger than our sale price

No problem at all with that Eamonn.

No, Eamonn, I personally think that is wrong.

However as long as the IFA haven't broken competition law, this is all a storm in a teacup. If they have broken competition law, then the competition authority are the relevant body to investigate it.

I really do not understand all the fuss being kicked up for what is the equivalent of having your diesel dipped. If you're breaking the law, you get caught, if your not you will be waved on.

The IFA have quite properly used the various enforcement bodies of the state over the years to advance their interests, and have sought that they be deployed against various interests, and they can't really be surprised that someone has decided to see if the IFA are as clean as they expect others to be.

Sorry if that wasn't clear, hope it is now.

LostCovey

Disappointed with lack of support, have you no pride in being a farmer or do you enjoy being screwed. 'Stand up and be counted or lie down and be mounted'. Suits me to be able to get two litres milk for 99cents

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Corsendonk wrote: »

Anyone know who it was yet? My money is on **sco,:mad:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

My money is on iceland as it was mentioned in the link I posted earlier

colrow wrote: »
    My money is on iceland as it was mentioned in the link I posted earlier
    thats what i heard too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

personally i ve always thought we approach this from the wrong way. our prices are set internationally and there is not a dam thing we can do about it.as regards supermarket margins why not use the media and tell the consumers how they are being screwed. dont be looking for more money now,its just looks like your only looking for money.run a campaign, target one supermarket and see can you affect their takings for a period.then you would have some weapon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Yup. Iceland. The shop not the country.

Bloody cant go to the protest as have school collections.

Interesting point about RTE cameras showing up so soon though. Surely they werent engaged in a cheap publicity shot to convince Joe Public about their relevance and ability to do the job:rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭stanflt

be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

stanflt wrote: »
    be very careful about what you write or say-delete all text messages
    THEY WONT TAKE ME ALIVE:D:D:D

did anyone see the consumer show on tuesday night? the was a woman from the competition authority on it... i have never seen such a wagon of a woman in all my life... she sounded like she was trying to say how much they do when if fact they do feck all

Minister waffling on pat kenny now.
    Apparently yesterdays protest was all about liquid milk prices and that the price for manufacturing milk is fair...in fact he said it was a very good price :rolleyes:

I didn't know that only half of the department of Ag spend on farming is from Europe and the rets is from the irish taxpayer ? Is he even right on that?

Good grief...minister now allowed to waffle on unchallenged about how cheaply NI milk is produced after being asked a question by the icmsa chap...but the format of the interview means the minister says his piece and then onto the next question.No follow on comment from the person on the phone allowed it seems.

Oh and there is a symbiotic relationship between the farmer and the multiple because tesco gives loans to food companies :rolleyes:

It will be available on podcast later if you have the strength to listen to it :eek:

eddie downey was on lmfm this morning , he is a good speaker - it will be on podcast later www.lmfm.ie on the michael reade show- loosetalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

What happened in the end? Let me guess. Nothing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement