Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiles and shed roof Question

• 13-05-2011 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

Looking for some info on roof tiles for a shed, probably try get some secondhand.

I'm thinking of doing a roof that only has a pitch in one direction (down towards garden/facing the house) I want the sides to be finished like a house so it drains down into a gutter,
    what I'd like to know is, can you get a tile for the row at the highest part of the roof to finish it properly so I dont have to cement over that row as i think that looks rubbish. Otherwise I'm left with the option of putting a roof with an apex on it (even if not much of an apex) so I can have it looking right and drain properly. Either way I want the finish to look right.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I would suggest perhaps getting concrete ridge tiles and cutting them to suit, ie cutting most of the oppsite side but not all, to be honest id have to be looking at the job and weighing it up, but making sure that the ridge is water proof is first, how it looks is second. Im sure it can be done to look well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

mono pitch ridge tiles are what your looking for. something like these 844.jpge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

ronaldo84 wrote: »
    mono pitch ridge tiles are what your looking for. something like these 844.jpge

Thanks for the replies lads, Ronaldo, that is exactly what I was thinking of, I just did not know if such a thing was available or that was what they were called, I did a few searches on google but never got anything that was close to what i was thinking of or even close. Good to see with the pictures, thats like an installation guide for me :)
    I was thinking of approaching builders providers regarding getting tiles, although I may try source them second hand on adverts or somewhere else.
    Also, would the mono pitch tile be best fitted with mortar in the space under, so it has something to bed into and seal against the row of tiles its in contact with?

I imagined tiles would come in all shapes and sizes, but at least I know such a tile exists and what it is called, thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

most ridge and mono pitch tiles are bedded in mortar but there are dry fix ridge tiles available now that come complete with long screws or nails and a felt to go underneath that sticks to the tiles or slates on each side. the dry fix version would be dearer.
    i would get mono pitch tiles and bed them in mortar and pointing with coloured mortar.
    if u arent that used of roofing make sure u space the tile battens correctly according to the pitch of the roof. (75 0r 100mm) tile laps and make sure the last tile is well lapped by the mono tile or wind will blow rain underneath causing leaks, damp walls or damp timbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Thanks for the info, I've not even dug the foundation trench yet but will start in about 10 days

• Advertisement
Advertisement