Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula Student

Options
  • 13-05-2011 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

I've applied for Mechanical Engineering in UL next year, in the hope of eventually becoming an F1 engineer. Just wondering if UL does Formula Student or Formula SAE?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

Don't know much about it, but a mate of mine does Formula Student in UL

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Portergeist

ya there is a formula student in ul.. a few of the lads in my course were involved in it but it was'nt very successful due to time limits etc..a few years before i was there a group of lads built one and raced it. You should e-mail the ul manufacturing and operations engineering dept. The lecturer who was over it was christy gillick i think...christy.gillick@ul.ie you would want to e-mail him soon though before the term ends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭DesQ2

hi there,

yeah there's a formula student in ul, I was part of last year but it didn't take off due to lack of involvement, this years team have half the car built tho, I was just talking to one of the lads 2 weeks ago about it, so it should be going ahead next yr, Christy Gillick is the man to contact as mentioned above,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Just an update, I've signed up to the new motorsport club. Are we going to use the chassis from last year? I thought the car has to be new unless the car is being used for the endurance/efficiency test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

I'd say the lack of involvement is because no one's heard of it! :pac:

I was part of the F1 in Schools project two years ago, so I would love to know more about this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I was talking to Christy about it the other day. They meet Mondays and Wednesdays from 6-8 in the Schrodinger building. He recommended i join the Racing/Motorsport Society too.

I dont have a lot of time this first semester but i'm hoping to get involved in the new year.

Do you have to be studying mech eng? Do ye not need an electronic engineer?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

echomadman wrote: »
    I was talking to Christy about it the other day. They meet Mondays and Wednesdays from 6-8 in the Schrodinger building. He recommended i join the Racing/Motorsport Society too.

I dont have a lot of time this first semester but i'm hoping to get involved in the new year.

How is the project being funded? Is Christy's department funding it?

What do the racing/motorsport society do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

kpac wrote: »
    Do you have to be studying mech eng? Do ye not need an electronic engineer?! :pac:
    Sure who needs electronic engineers?!?! :D

(I think we do need them but I'm not sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I'm in Product Design & technology and he mentioned it to us, so you dont have to be in mech eng. Basically you have to be able to put in the time, i got the impression he doesn't want anyone that isnt going to be there as often as possible.

• Advertisement

echomadman wrote: »
    I'm in Product Design & technology and he mentioned it to us, so you dont have to be in mech eng. Basically you have to be able to put in the time, i got the impression he doesn't want anyone that isnt going to be there as often as possible.
    Right...this year looks a bit busy at the minute anyway. Next year hopefully.

Advertisement