Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA Humanitarian Aid or Development Practice

Options
  • 13-05-2011 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello!
    Im in the process of applying for a masters in Development Practice in Trinity and MSc in Humanitarian Action in UCD. Has anyone here done either of those courses? Im dying to hear first hand information but can't seem to find anyone to talk to about it!
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 carrot85

Hi, I'm applying to Development Practice and was also accepted to Development Studies - did you do the masters? Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jayjay80

i got accepted but I cant afford it now and have had to decline. Devastated. Would LOVE to do it, its amazing. Really hope you get in and give us some feedback...maybe I can win the lotto by next yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 carrot85

Hi, I decided to accept Development Practice, but am very worried about the cost now as not sure how I'll be able to afford it (doesn't look like funding will come through for postgrads). Fingers crossed. I really want to do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jayjay80

Congrats. What a brave decision. Its an amazing course. I am wracking my brains about ways to do it. When you say funding what do you mean? I was a grant student @ undergrad and from what i can gather i can still get my fees paid for this year upto €6270. Although there would be no maintenance part. Not sure how i wouldl support myself through it but it seems to good of an opportunity to miss.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

There was a useful thread about this here.

The one thing I will say about this career is be prepared to work for free. This could mean 6 - 12 months of interning during the day in an office and working at night/weekends to pay the bills. Everyone from my year who were not willing to do this are back working in the jobs they had before the course.
    Also, go spend some time abroad and learn languages. It's necessary for any job you may get for this. If you're one of the people who go on about 'not being good at languages' then this isn't the career path for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement