Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

THINKING OF BUYING GSXR 600cc !! LEARNER PERMIT HELP :))

• 13-05-2011 5:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14

Hey all,

Thinking of buying a 03 gsxr 600cc... I have just passed my theory test and wondering would any insurance company touch me if i get it restricted to 250cc ? is this all rumors or true ?? and know any good cheap places to ring?

i have full car liceance 5 yrs no claims bonus and almost 29 yrs old..

i really only want it as a weekend bike and not paying mad money for insurance

also i never owned a bike before but have driven friends 125s and 250s !!!!!

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Probably get more of a response on the motorbike forum. Sounds big for a first bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

You need to do the IBT before you can go out on public roads on your own.

Your car insurance NCB will not count for anything when looking for bike insurance.

You do not restric a 600cc bike to 250cc, you restric it to 25kw.

There are only four insurance companies that do bike insurance, so it won't take too long to ring them and see if you can get a quote.
    - Quinn
    - Aonn
    -Carole Nash
    - Adelaide

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Andrew451953

even with a learner permit i still can't use public roads ?? it's about 700 just to do this test alone !! hmmmmm..... quinn are looking for 750euro for insurance and said it won't change even when i get a full liceance

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

as long as it's restricted quinn should quote you.. at 29 you may be outside of the risk factors that stop the young-fella getting decent quotes, but i would be surprised if you go it for less than a grand.

*edit, 750 isn't bad!, you can get the IBT cheaper and with an insurance assesment(which should reduce your quote) if you shop around... might have to do it outside the county you live in though.. shouldn't be to hard to manage if you have a car to travel in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

My friend is insured on a k4 with Quinn for about 90euro a month, 0 ncb and learner permit only and he is 24. However they would not quote him on the web or phone or even in person until he had the restrictor cert with him and had bought the bike. That said it wasn't a new policy, he transferred his insurance over from an er6-f which was also restricted and costing him 70 a week to insure. Madness tbh, I am paying under 400 euro a year for an sv650s and that handles the restrictor much better.

• Advertisement

ya he said that to me alright but its all new to me... never thought it would be so much harder to get a bike than car...

Are you just applying for your provisional bike licence?, or have you had it a while and just not been using it?

if you have had the provisional since before dec, you can drive on it without need for the IBT.
    if your just getting your provisional now then yeah you need to do the IBT and possibly another theory test also im not to up on all the details.

some companys are telling that it has to be factory restricted ?? do you have to buy the bike from new restricted ??

i only past the test yesterday... so i'm pretty much ****ed... it's all adding up now.. i'd have the price for second gxsr after i pay out shell load of doe

some bikes roll out of the factory restricted and are then always sold as restricted bikes.. seems like bull**** to me seeing as you have to pay 99% of garages 250-300 for an Fi certified restriction kit. im sure you could argue your way around it... i have a 00 cbr 600f and it needs to be restricted but they mentioned nothing about factory restriction.

• Advertisement

are the restrictors easy to remove and put back on ??

hate to tune it down

are the restrictors easy to remove and put back on ??

Depends on the restrictor. Some are washers in the carbs, some are just a preventer on the throttle. On the SV its a restricted ECU so just a matter of unplugging it and plugging in a full power one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭prunudo

I think there was a factory restricted gsxr 600 on donedeal within the last month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

restrictors are just a few washers, easy to put on, any competent garage will have it done in less than an hour.....

Thing is you are not insured to drive it if its unrestricted and its also an offense as you are not licenced to drive it either as your licence is for a 25KW bike....
    if you have an accident with the restrictor off its the first thing they will look at....

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

The restrictor can be washers/sliders in the carb, or in the case of fuel injected bikes its usually restricted using a new map on the ECU with a power output of 33bhp.

Depends on the bike really, Im not sure about the GSXR tbh.

depends on the year, i think he said 2002, so no idea if its carb or ecu...

I know from personal experience that the ecu is easy to do, only problem is getting one and getting it fitted with an accectable cert.....

jvan wrote: »
    I think there was a factory restricted gsxr 600 on donedeal within the last month
    There is, the guy posts on here every now and then also. It's a K5 I think and he's looking about €4k. It can be made full power with a full power ECU no problem. Was trying to pick up a restricted ECU for a K4 for my mate but they're as rare as hens teeth for the gsxr600 - I guess it's not a common bike to restrict. Its no bother to get one for an SV.

eurofoxy wrote: »
    depends on the year, i think he said 2002, so no idea if its carb or ecu...

I know from personal experience that the ecu is easy to do, only problem is getting one and getting it fitted with an accectable cert.....

Don't know if '02 is FI or carb either but once you get the ECU in getting a cert. isn't much bother. A garage can do it once they see the restrictive ECU is in. There is no legislation in Ireland governing such a thing as a restrictor cert so you can perfectly legally write one yourself. From experience Quinn won't accept this unless you write on your VIN, chasis no. etc. My mate had hes ER6-f restricted in Bikeworld at a cost of €300 and the restrictor cert that he got for it was a POS typed up in two minutes in Word and printed off and signed. Upon seeing this I did the exact same for my SV and signed it myself, included a receipt for a restricted ECO from Ebay and Quinn accepted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I obviously dont know you or your riding skill but anytime i ever hear someone getting a supersports for their first bike all i can see is a coffin, you will make plenty of mistakes, and it's better to make them on a bike that wont tear your arms off going 0-60 in 2.5 seconds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i think your crazy going for such a big bike, even when restricted, for your first bike. chances are you ARE going to drop the bike at some stage in your first year. id rather drop a bike i didnt care too much about firsdt and elarn from my mistake than droppin a k5 or k6 gixxer.

if i was you i would get something smaller, like a 250 and use that for the year, till your up to speed.

just my 2 cents.

rob

copeyhagen wrote: »
    i think your crazy going for such a big bike, even when restricted, for your first bike. chances are you ARE going to drop the bike at some stage in your first year. id rather drop a bike i didnt care too much about firsdt and elarn from my mistake than droppin a k5 or k6 gixxer.

if i was you i would get something smaller, like a 250 and use that for the year, till your up to speed.

just my 2 cents.

rob

exactly.......... except i think you will drop it/slide it fall over within the first few weeks..... everyone does it and OP you are no different.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

eurofoxy wrote: »
    exactly.......... except i think you will drop it/slide it fall over within the first few weeks..... everyone does it and OP you are no different.....

I'd like to say I never dropped it, but I can say I never slid it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

copeyhagen wrote: »

just my 2 cents.

rob

Well said Rob,

Agree 100%, you would cry if ya dropped a GSXR600 i know i would if i dropped mine. I started off on a Bandit I loved it and l dropped it twice, one slow speed while learning to turn and one in the driveway parking it up i lost my balance:D and I had 1 or 2 moments on it were i know if i was on gixxer starting out i would not have been able to control it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

its natural to wanna buy a nice sexy sportsbike like a gsxr, but wait till you have clocked up some learner mileage first!

i had a varadero 125 starting out, dropped it in ym back garden once when i was cleaning it, unfortunatly it fell onto a stone flower bed and broke an indicator!

then on my cbr 250 last year i was putting bike on side stand and the stand wasnt extended properly and bike fell onto my car, luckily there was no damage, had the car not been there it would have fooked up the fairings.

2 lessons learned.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Advertisement