Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cnoc Meadha??

Options
  • 13-05-2011 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Just wondering has anyone any info about the bike trail there? Has anyone any experience and what does the course consist of from start to finish? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,905 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Just wondering has anyone any info about the bike trail there? Has anyone any experience and what does the course consist of from start to finish? Cheers

I asked about it recently and I heard that you wouldn't cycle up it and you wouldn't come down it unless you were fairly handy and confident with a bike. Well, you would come down it but you might not have your bike when you get to the bottom! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭OldSchool94

mars bar wrote: »
    I asked about it recently and I heard that you wouldn't cycle up it and you wouldn't come down it unless you were fairly handy and confident with a bike. Well, you would come down it but you might not have your bike when you get to the bottom! :pac:
    thanks for the help mars bar! I dont mind if its dangerous one bit! I will have to walk the course first though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

It's a gravel track and usually has a lot of walkers and runners on it so I don't know how safe it would be cycling it for the other users

Head out to Derroura in Connemara if you want a proper MTB trail, it has a great mix of singletrack, gravel roads, up and downhill

Derroura MTB Trail

Its only a mile or 2 long as well

It's a gravel track and usually has a lot of walkers and runners on it so I don't know how safe it would be cycling it for the other users

Head out to Derroura in Connemara if you want a proper MTB trail, it has a great mix of singletrack, gravel roads, up and downhill

Derroura MTB Trail

Its only a mile or 2 long as well

I have heard of this trail before but Cnoc Meadha is closer to where I live!! Also, what I've always wondered about when researching about Derroura is that I can't find out whether there are any jumps on the track, how steep it is and how fast is the track! :confused:

If you know any of this info I would be delighted to here! :D
    Thanks a million for your help also, much appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 abusingelves

Derroura is a great spot. About 16km long (not 1 or 2 miles!), fairly fast on the descent, but then again that depends on yourself and bike aswell. Nothing that you would call jumps. You can get air in several spots, but no specific ramps.

• Advertisement

Derroura is a great spot. About 16km long (not 1 or 2 miles!), fairly fast on the descent, but then again that depends on yourself and bike aswell. Nothing that you would call jumps. You can get air in several spots, but no specific ramps.

Cheers man!! ...Really would like to try a few ramps on a downhill track though :/ Thanks anyways for your help!

Get onto the guys in Moycullen Bike Works, they have a track with jumps, ramps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

As someone already said it's short enough but if that's what your after then go for it. Just be carefull as it does have a number of walkers on it too.

You can judge the amount of people that wil be there by the amount of cars in the carpark at the entrance.

I've seen bikes on it before so I don't think it should be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I live pretty much on Cnoc Meadha and would say if you're gonna try and cycle on it at speed to really try and do it during a quiet time during the week. Weekends tend to have a lot a families walking it with buggies, small children, dogs etc so you might want to be wary of that.
    Thought about cycling it myself once or twice but I doubt I'm fit enough for all that uphill work!

Cheers lads :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

I've enjoyed many a walk on Knockma but haven't done the circuit recently. Its news to me that its become a cycle track. I don't begrudge anybody the use of an amenity but i'm surprised that the relevant authorities have authorised the use of bikes on this steep, narrow, winding track that has ninety degree bends and even a switchback. It has always been regarded as a safe walking trail for children and its a common occurence for children to run ahead of or dally behind their minders in relative safety while enjoying this wonderful amenity. I believe that a rapidly descending bike could cause serious or even fatal injury to walkers so i disagree with this trail being used for cycling. There is another similar hill nearby so perhaps that could be allocated for use by cyclists?

bagels wrote: »
    I've enjoyed many a walk on Knockma but haven't done the circuit recently. Its news to me that its become a cycle track. I don't begrudge anybody the use of an amenity but i'm surprised that the relevant authorities have authorised the use of bikes on this steep, narrow, winding track that has ninety degree bends and even a switchback. It has always been regarded as a safe walking trail for children and its a common occurence for children to run ahead of or dally behind their minders in relative safety while enjoying this wonderful amenity. I believe that a rapidly descending bike could cause serious or even fatal injury to walkers so i disagree with this trail being used for cycling. There is another similar hill nearby so perhaps that could be allocated for use by cyclists?

i have been talking to a friend of mine today and he said that the walking path orbits the hill and through the center of the hill there is a separate track for cyclists with jumps at the start! He also said that the bicycle track cuts the walking path at some stage half way down it!
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Its very steep in spots, but i would reccomend biking it as early in the morning as possible because it will be wedged with walkers during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 iusetaluver

Hi OldSchool94,
    Yes, you descibe it well... best to walk it first.
    its not used much for cycling from my knowledge and diffo not on the walking trail.
    there is the bike track but not for the faint hearted, Im told.
    Enjoy

djPSB wrote: »
    Its very steep in spots, but i would reccomend biking it as early in the morning as possible because it will be wedged with walkers during the summer.

Cheers! Thanks for the advice!

Hi OldSchool94,
    Yes, you descibe it well... best to walk it first.
    its not used much for cycling from my knowledge and diffo not on the walking trail.
    there is the bike track but not for the faint hearted, Im told.
    Enjoy

Yes my friend said I'm a lunatic going down it but I don't mind things dangerous :P Thanks for the help also!

I've biked down Croagh Patrick so most things are possible and I'm not even mad :D

Advertisement