Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband help

• 13-05-2011 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Moving into a new apartment in a few weeks and it`s not wired for upc broadband.
    I`m just wondering what other options are out there at reasonable prices. And can anyone tell me the eircom line rental fee because I can`t find it anywhere on the website.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

eircom is 39.99 a month for first 6 months then up to 46.79 thereafter
    only a 10g monthly limit, link below
    http://www.eircom.net/broadband/?WT.svl=2
    i prefer vodafone myself only 38 a month for 40g limit
    http://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/
    hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭neilboard

I`m looking for broadband without download limits. I use the web a lot and also online gaming. The eircom broadband gives the price without the line rental and says nowhere how much it is with line rental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

Thats not too bad. I might have to call them though because I don`t need the phone just the broadband on it`s own.
    Is there any other options out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Mamarazzi

what about mobile broadband? vodafone? o2?

• Advertisement

Is moblie broadband not only to plug into the laptop/computer? I need to hook an xbox up to it aswell.

Vodafone do a package that includes a sharing dock lets you share your mobile broadband connection with up to 4 wifi enabled devices. o2 and meteor prob do the same. Find out which have the best coverage and download limits to suit you.

Does mobile broadband actually work well with good coverage. Been told it`s a bit of a waste of time for gaming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/bbpackages/ngb/21/

That's a nice package. Eircom line rental is to the tune of 20 quid I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

neilboard wrote: »
    Does mobile broadband actually work well with good coverage. Been told it`s a bit of a waste of time for gaming?

Absolutely not. I know it's harsh but the pings and consistency are just not there. You need fiber/cable/dsl ( in order of preference ) in reality.

• Advertisement

Thats what I was thinking. I think eircom is the only real option I have. cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭coolpix23

My house mate just got free line rental / calls from the social welfare so was looking at prices.

If you look at the top package, up to 24Meg with no download limit then it's cheaper to get the bundle with off peak calls (€65.19 per month for 6 months, then €69.99 = €811.08 for the year incl line rental or €69.99*12 = €839.88) rather than just broadband (€47.99 per month plus €25.36 per month line rental = €880.20 for the year incl line rental.)

Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

Forced to use dongles from various providers for the last few years now. Do not under any circumstances get a dongle if your a gamer and cabled broadband is an alternative. It is ridiculous.

Does anyone have imagine wimax? Does this come in through a phone line or through a dish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fordefitz

i recently installed imagine wimax, as I was behind their mast, I had to get an outdoor receiver installed (at a cost of €150) on my roof. I had to wait a couple of weeks for my phone line to be transferred to this receiver also.

as the wire for the receiver comes in through the sitting room wall we use the pc on wireless. we only have the pc and an iphone working off the wireless but have been experiencing low speeds and the no signal at all more times than there is a usable signal.

also the phone only works now intermittantly :-(

I've reported this to wimax and they just keep wanting me to do speed tests through out the day!!

am in the process of looking for another supplier,

wouldn't recommend imagine :-(

Thanks for the replies. So imagine is a no then! Cheers for the input.

Advertisement