Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor changing their data offers

Options
  • 13-05-2011 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭

they hinted at this on their facebook when announcing the roaming deal

anyway, I just noticed on their page that the prepay data pricing (after the 69c for 50mb) is changed to
    2c per MB.. this was KB before right? it still says "€20.48 per MB" underneath it :rolleyes:

bit of a better price anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

That's correct. Big reduction alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Thats good stuff with data out of package :D wont blow ALL your credit away or leave ya with a massive bill out of package. Still wish they rather just bring in PAYG add ons...

They have the 15 a month internet add on on bill pay. Why cant they just port it to PAYG...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Thats good stuff with data out of package :D wont blow ALL your credit away or leave ya with a massive bill out of package. Still wish they rather just bring in PAYG add ons...

They have the 15 a month internet add on on bill pay. Why cant they just port it to PAYG...

theres announcements due next week on data, i've a feeling we might get some much better offers now, they must be bleeding customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

meteor are owned by eircom am i right? who also own 3 ?

am i right on both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

Three are owned by Hutchinson a Hong Kong company.....My guess is Meteor will introduce a 1gb add on for prepay for 10yoyos....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

barone wrote: »
    meteor are owned by eircom am i right? who also own 3 ?

am i right on both?

Eircom, Meteor, e-mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Eircom, Meteor, e-mobile.

Babcock & Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Daegerty wrote: »
    Babcock & Brown

Babcock and Brown sold it off to STT some time ago.

The ownership of eircom is like this:

eMobile > Meteor > Eircom > STT (Singapore Technologies Telemedia) > Temasek Holdings > Government of Singapore!

Solair wrote: »
    Babcock and Brown sold it off to STT some time ago.

The ownership of eircom is like this:

eMobile > Meteor > Eircom > STT (Singapore Technologies Telemedia) > Temasek Holdings > Government of Singapore!

So our main telecommunication service for the country is owned by the Singapore government lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Hopefully they make a change or two to the billpay side if things. Then I can use it to get out of my contract!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Is it not that they're announcing a drop in price for data roaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

racer1 wrote: »
    My guess is Meteor will introduce a 1gb add on for prepay for 10yoyos....

Would definitely sign up for that offer. Hope you're right!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Hopefully they make a change or two to the billpay side if things. Then I can use it to get out of my contract!

Sure - as long as you don't mind giving back your phone :(

Kensington wrote: »
    Is it not that they're announcing a drop in price for data roaming?
    they already disclosed the data roaming price on FB.. 99c per MB. Now can you imagine the **** storm if they kept the local charge at €20.48 per MB and only 99c if you're outside the country?

There has to be a broader data announcement due.

long_b wrote: »
    Sure - as long as you don't mind giving back your phone :(
    They didn't actually make everyone give their phone back the last time. I got out of my contract only a few months in and switched to payg. Then a few months ago they were doing a free Samsung galaxy s on a €20pm contract so I signed up to billpay again. Wouldn't mind going on a smart lite plan now!

racer1 wrote: »
    Three are owned by Hutchinson a Hong Kong company.....My guess is Meteor will introduce a 1gb add on for prepay for 10yoyos....

That would be a rip of considering that on bill pay you can get an add on for 10GB for 15 quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

if they change the plans again are billpayers allowed cancel there contracts like the last time?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

if they change the plans again are billpayers allowed cancel there contracts like the last time?

After last time I suspect if they ever have another price drop it'll be 'opt in', so no regulation whatever contract cancellation.

So long as they make a change to the bill pay data pricing. Even if it is a reduction in price it is still technically a change so they have to give us 30 days to decide whether we agree to it or not. Keep an eye on the following page for any changes.

http://www.meteor.ie/terms_and_conditions/notifications/

Depends, I can see them making it so you have to manually opt-in to any new rates, you won't get them automatically. In order to opt-in though, you'll have to accept the new T&Cs so they'll have you kept within contract then. Can't see them giving anyone a get-out clause like last time unfortunately!

EDIT: beaten to it!

• Advertisement

zuroph wrote: »
    theres announcements due next week on data, i've a feeling we might get some much better offers now, they must be bleeding customers.
    Where did you hear about the announcements? Any idea what day it might be?

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Where did you hear about the announcements? Any idea what day it might be?

they said on FB that they would have data announcements in two weeks, while discussing the roaming price. doesnt seem like something that would be done JUST to discuss the roaming data charge, especially since the data charge would be cheaper than domestically. Plus, this half edit on their website is a further clue that the announcements are to be about domestic data charges.

They did say when they announced the roaming rates that there'd be an announcement on data roaming in a few weeks though. And it's been cheaper to call Europe while in Europe, as opposed to calling from Ireland, for a good while now.

Still, any reduction in price at home is to be welcomed. All you can eat data on the way maybe? Think the networks are starting to feel serious pressure from Three, especially on the data front.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Kensington wrote: »
    They did say when they announced the roaming rates that there'd be an announcement on data roaming in a few weeks though. And it's been cheaper to call Europe while in Europe, as opposed to calling from Ireland, for a good while now.

Still, any reduction in price at home is to be welcomed. All you can eat data on the way maybe? Think the networks are starting to feel serious pressure from Three, especially on the data front.

I would have thought so too but not from what O2's saying:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0513/breaking47.html
    Telefónica Ireland said contract customers at its O2 mobile network grew strongly in the first quarter of the year, adding 7,000 subscribers as smartphones drove uptake of data services.

Year on year, O2 increased its contract customer numbers by 5 per cent, or 34,200.

ALthough total mobile subscribers was down 16000:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/o2-loses-16000-mobile-customers-but-data-revenue-increases-504905.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Today was the day from when Meteor were to slash their data roaming charges, but its not happening today due to technical difficulties, and they decided not tell anyone.

Some shower ehhh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Today was the day from when Meteor were to slash their data roaming charges, but its not happening today due to technical difficulties, and they decided not tell anyone.

Some shower ehhh....

It was always the 19th AFAIK. I rang them on Monday and they said the 19th to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I have it on a text from then stating the 18th - anyway the told me today it's not happening now for a number of weeks.

Its onl billboards for today, you sure that its not happening? seems like something they'd have to honour having advertised the rate...

• Advertisement

I got a text as well a few days ago.

Seen billboards too ;)

Advertisement