Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I messed up.

Options
  • 13-05-2011 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

Bought this last night: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=N68C-S%20UCC&cat=Specifications

N68C-S%20UCC%28m%29.jpg

See the blue bit of plastic around where the CPU goes? Well the drunk me thought that had to be removed. Now I can't get it back in. Didn't realise it was for the heat sink.

It has them little plastic clips and they won't go through the holes. Don't want to push too hard and damage the motherboard.

Help me, boards.ie. You're my only hope.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Would worry too much as your absolute worst case scenario, if you can't get it back in, is having to shell out maybe 20 bucks for so for a half decent third party cooler that will have its own CPU clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Cheers, but it is possible to get them back in?

Surely it must be.

If I get a third party one, would it not have the same clips?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭Quandary

Terry wrote: »
    Don't want to push too hard and damage the motherboard.

Help me, boards.ie. You're my only hope.

Motherboards can take quite a lot of force before breaking. I used to work as a sys admin and many is the time I remember bending and flexing motherboards while trying to clip something in.

Best of luck with it!

Will it be ok if I stand on it?
    I weigh 20 stone, so that should be enough force to push those little bastards through.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Cheers, but it is possible to get them back in?

Surely it must be.

If I get a third party one, would it not have the same clips?

Nah you always have to takke off that bit to fit a new cooler as they have their own bracket.

I am sure it ought is possible to get it back in, is it in the case at the moment? If so if your take it out and try find some sort of flat surface with a small gap that you can line the holes up against, it should take some of the pressure off the board allowing you to use a little more force.

Failing that, if you can find the right part, a few screws of the right length combined with a small nut at the back of the board should do the job. Just make sure the screws are not in danger of touching the case once the board is (re)installed.

• Advertisement

I weigh 20 stone, so that should be enough force to push those little bastards through.

That might be going a bit far :)

A trick I used once or twice was to place the motherboard on a rigid surface which has a small hollow or hole (about 3 inches in diameter) in it. For example, some desks have a corner hole to allow monitor cables to go down to a PC base unit. What I used to do was place whatever part of the motherboard would receive the bulk of the pressure over the hole. I would then press pretty much as hard as I liked to push through clips.

In your case I would place the CPU area of the motherboard over a hollow or hole (or if you can find something suitable) and I would start applying the pressure to get those plastic clips/pegs into the holes - gently at first and gradually start increasing the pressure until you hear that click!

I hope this makes sense & best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

I bet if you were to get drunk enough again you would get it back in no bother. :D

deejer wrote: »
    I bet if you were to get drunk enough again you would get it back in no bother. :D

I know this isn't AH but come on, that's too hard to resist a good old thats what she said :D

On a serious note though, let us know how you get on OP!

Thanks for the tips, folks.

I'll try the hole one first when I'm drunk later. :)

Advertisement