Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ribble or cube peloton?

• 13-05-2011 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

hi, im just looking for an opinion on what ye think i should do in this scenario. i work in a bike shop and the bike i was looking to buy in there was a cube peloton. i reckon i could probably get the 2011 model for roughly 750. in case you dont know its carbon forks, tiagra groupset 9.4kg. i then came across the website ribble. i was looking at a few bikes on it all about 1000 euro. the frames are 500grams heavier or so but they are full carbon fibre with the same tiagra groupset. do ye think there is much benefit going for the ribble frame for about 250 euro more for the same weight (almost) but full carbon? thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

"The Peloton shares the same frame as the Cube Aerial and while no bloater, its 1,675g" - bikeradar.com

Ribble Sportive Racing Carbon Road Frame Weight: 0.975Kg - ribble.co.uk

The Ribble aint heavier, don't know where you were getting that information from :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Not sure but the ribble bikes sure do look nice! Esp the gran fondo! I'd love one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Dubba wrote: »
    "The Peloton shares the same frame as the Cube Aerial and while no bloater, its 1,675g" - bikeradar.com

The Ribble aint heavier, don't know where you were getting that information from :eek:

I imagine that those weights are frame-only for the Ribble, and frame+forks for the Cube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Jayz man, if you can't get a better deal than retail ribble in the bike shop in which you're working, then....

"you're doing it wrong", as the man said.

I like the cubes meself I must say. -Can you not give the boss an aul' reach around or something? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

fat bloke wrote: »
    Jayz man, if you can't get a better deal than retail ribble in the bike shop in which you're working, then....

I like the cubes meself I must say. -Can you not give the boss an aul' reach around or something? :D

nice!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 badger12

fat bloke wrote: »

he buys the cube pelotons in for that price. the cube is lighter in all, im not talking just frame even though i suppose it must be. the cube is 9.4kg. the ribble is roughly 9.75kg in all. i already said that i can get about 250 euro off it and im wondering does anyone think theres benefits to a full carbon frame if its heavier? i always ask this question when people say its easier to go up hills on a full carbon but would it be the same story if its a bit heavier?

im looking at the bike in total 9.4kg in full for the peloton. the ribble is a small bit heavier when i worked it out as far as i can remember

Nope :p

Ribble Sportive Weight: 7.63kg - bikeradar.com

Link: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/revealed-our-top-road-bike-of-2009-21018/ (6th bike down)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

but look at the spec/price of that ribble on bikeradar!!!

OK, I didn't notice that, still a change of groupset should'nt warrant a 2kg weight difference :pac:

Am I missing something here, are you a ribble rep badger or 12?

• Advertisement

OK, I didn't notice that, still a change of groupset should'nt warrant a 2kg weight difference :pac:

that bike is 2 grand? thats obviously totally lighter. that isnt tiagra, its campag, it had deep rims which arent stock on the others ones either. i dont know what you mean am i a ribble rep? im considering the cube more than the ribble. and by the sound of your message your pro ribble so im not understanding what the point your trying to make is

i would also have comeback in a shop more than on an online store, well usually anyway
    the price is also in gbp i just noticed on thats bike.
    between the wheels and groupset i think you could almost have 2kg.
    anyway back to the main point, what is your opinion, quite simply cube or ribble?
    do you think its worth going for the alu frame or will it be a waste if i want to start racing soon?
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I dont think the cube peloton is going to be great for racing, according to the cube website, it's
    "A very light stiff frame and a riding position aiming for comfort and weekend rides. Designed for riders who want to get fit and have fun"

IMO, it's an entry level road bike designed for leisure rides, and even commuting. I think the weight and upright riding position is going to be a big racing disadvantage. I think it has triple chain ring too, which again is not great for racing imo.

I'm not sure which ribble bike you're looking at (a carbon frame), but I think their aluminium Ultralite Racing would be a better option for you and as you're looking online, there are plenty other suppliers like canyon and planet-x that have entry level bikes designed for racing around the same price (€1000).

If I was in your position, I would buy through the shop (but not the peloton), you'll probably get loads of help with servicing, spares and upgrades and you might even be get your racing "sponsored" by way of replacement parts or gear.

Advertisement