Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beatles or Motley?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Neither. Not a fan of either. I never got the big deal with The Beatles really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Meanwhile Motley Crue have done what exactly....?

Mötley Crüe has sold more than 80 million album copies worldwide, including 25 million in the U.S - Dr. Feelgood has sold more than 6 million copies in the U.S alone to date.

Acts such as Ten Stories Fallen, Papa Roach, Korn, Buckcherry, Tommy Krash, Adelitas Way, Linkin Park, Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, Moby, Murderdolls, Backyard Babies, Private Line, Slipknot, The Living End, Belladonna, Mana, Escape The Fate, and Hardcore Superstar have all cited Mötley Crüe as an influence in recent years.

Disturbed drummer Mike Wengren has also cited Tommy Lee as an influence to his drumming.

Mötley Crüe has been nominated overall four times at the American Music Awards and has been thrice nominated for a Grammy. They have also one nomination for an MTV Video Music Award and have been Inducted into the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The Beatles piss on everything Motley Crue have ever done from great heights. The Beatles are one of the most influential bands of all time and changed the course of music.

What have Motley Crue done? Well besides the stuff that the poster Motley Crue said. They pioneered a music genre. They helped give birth to the glam metal scene in the 1980's that was huge. They are also an influencial band as well, as not only have they influenced other artists but influenced the change in the music scene.

The Beatles were bigger of course, but that dosen't mean they **** all over The Crue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Mötley Crüe has sold more than 80 million album copies worldwide, including 25 million in the U.S - Dr. Feelgood has sold more than 6 million copies in the U.S alone to date.

Acts such as Ten Stories Fallen, Papa Roach, Korn, Buckcherry, Tommy Krash, Adelitas Way, Linkin Park, Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, Moby, Murderdolls, Backyard Babies, Private Line, Slipknot, The Living End, Belladonna, Mana, Escape The Fate, and Hardcore Superstar have all cited Mötley Crüe as an influence in recent years.

Disturbed drummer Mike Wengren has also cited Tommy Lee as an influence to his drumming.

Mötley Crüe has been nominated overall four times at the American Music Awards and has been thrice nominated for a Grammy. They have also one nomination for an MTV Video Music Award and have been Inducted into the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
    I meant what have they done musically that's of any importance, not in terms how many albums they've sold and how many award nominations they've received.

Out of the bands you've mentioned above that have cited Mötley Crüe as an influence, the only band that I can give some artistic credibility to are Nine Inch Nails (although more influenced by the likes of Skinny Puppy), the rest vary from average to downright terrible.

The Beatles have influenced a far greater range of artists spanning multiple musical genres ranging from Pink Floyd to Phish to The Chemical Brothers to, yes, Mötley Crüe themselves.

I meant what have they done musically that's of any importance, not in terms how many albums they've sold and how many award nominations they've received.

Musically they have produced a multitude of studio albums that still receive recognition and airplay today, that still sell, and still allow these four men to tour around the world and produce their solo material as well. Tell you what, look at the Whiskey A Go Go website, and see who is supporting the GNR tribute act performing tonight in LA - one of those bands is called Good Knives

Now, if in 30 years that band are still touring with their original line-up, having produced studio albums and signed major label deals and sold out stadiums from here to Japan then I will certainly be surprised. Nobody expected Motley Crue to do what they've done since 1981....and yet here we are.

That is what they've done musically.
    Out of the bands you've mentioned above that have cited Mötley Crüe as an influence, the only band that I can give some artistic credibility to are Nine Inch Nails (although more influenced by the likes of Skinny Puppy), the rest vary from average to downright terrible.

I mean you are entitled to your opinion but you have no authority to say these bands, who have sold records themselves and made a living creating music, are themselves also useless and therefore it nullifies any influence Motley Crue, may have had?
    The Beatles have influenced a far greater range of artists spanning multiple musical genres ranging from Pink Floyd to Phish to The Chemical Brothers to, yes, Mötley Crüe themselves.

I know this, sure Motley Crue covered Helter Skelter on their 2nd album, and always citied artists like The Beatles and Elvis Presley as influences. As did bands like Metallica, Guns N' Roses and Soundgarden. Every band was influenced by the Beatles, but that might just be because they came first and did everything first, there wasn't really anything before them in terms of modern rock and roll.

And this was simply a question of who I liked more, I obviously prefer Motley Crue, but that doesn't mean I'm going to run down the Beatles at every opportunity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I love the way people always have some sort of inferiority complex towards crue. They invented a entire new movement in metal, how many bands can claim to have done that? (and while being totally oblivious to reality)
    Their influence on modern music is huge, Do you think GnR would be huge without Crue? Im sure if you ask Lady GaGa if Motley and Glam Rock are a influence shed agree.
    Besides like it or not Glam is making a return, Hardcore Superstar, Crashdiet, Sister, Dirty Penny and to a certain extent reckless love. That coupled with the old skool bands still being huge, Kiss, Crue, Poison, def leppard, alice cooper, LA guns, GnR, WASP, Cheap Trick. Not only are they touring, but IMO Kiss gig last year was the best Ive ever seen.

I can appreciate the beatles for what they are, but they are far too overrated and are one of those bands that if you say you dont like them, immediatley your opinion on music is less valid. Similar with saying you like crue.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,382 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

well you can clearly hear them from my gaff, car, headphones regularly!

long live rock'n'roll!!!!!!!!

;)

closet rocker there mellor?:p
    That's fine, feelgood is a good album, I listen it some songs ocasionally.
    But the same can be said about lots of beatles records, they're still dead.

Epic fail at bring up records sales when comparing with the beatles.
    Funny you mention 80 million, The Beatles had sold 80 million by '64, and hit 100million in feburary '65. To date The Beatles record sales are over 1.3 billion units worldwide.

During the week of 4 April 1964, The Beatles held twelve positions on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, including the top five positions. Neither feat has been matched by any other artist to date.

"I Want To Hold Your Hand" sold nearly 5 million records in the US by 1968, making it the best selling single of the 1960s. Hey Jude was the 4th best selling (4 million)

Their double album The Beatles At sales of over 19 million, it is the biggest selling album of the 1960s.

"Abbey Road" sold over 3.3 million copies in the US in a little over a week, making it the best-selling LP of all time.

"Can’t Buy Me Love" sold 940,225 copies in the US the day it was released (March 16, 1964), shattering all previous sales records. The single went on to sell over 3 million by the end of the year.

They've also a similar set of records in the UK charts. THey're No.1s alone is amazing.

I'm not putting Crue down, I already said I like them. THe dirt is one of the best music bios I've read and planning on getting Heroin diaries. I'm just pointing out that bringing up records sales verses the beatles is more than a little stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

from what I've seen in this thread..........Bruce Dickinson's wife :eek:

Mellor wrote: »
    Epic fail at bring up records sales when comparing with the beatles.

Funny you mention 80 million, The Beatles had sold 80 million by '64, and hit 100million in feburary '65. To date The Beatles record sales are over 1.3 billion units worldwide.

What are you talking about? "Epic Fail" - what the hell does that even mean?!

In any case, I was telling another poster, who stated that Motley Crue had apparently done nothing with their career, by pointing out that Motley Crue had a career of 30 years and 80 million record sales. That, by any achievement, is pretty sizeable and bloody good.

Ask any aspiring musician if they would consider their career a success if they sold 80 million records and toured the world countless times and I'm sure they'd agree that would be more then they could hope for.
    Mellor wrote: »
    I'm just pointing out that bringing up records sales verses the beatles is more than a little stupid.

I'm not trying to say that Crue are better then the Beatles based on record sales, that would be stupid, because if you do the maths (as you have done) you will realise the Beatles have sold, will sell and did sell more.

I was simply answering a poster who was ignorantly trying to say that Motley Crue had apparently achieved nothing (he obviously doesn't like them and like a lot of music fans these days he sees them, thinks their image and look is stupid and "gay" and thinks if he likes them then he must have something wrong with him), that the bands they inspire have achieved nothing, and that their music means nothing. Anyone who says that obviously is either lying, deaf or mad. Motley Crue are a household name, have achieved success any band would be happy with, and are still touring 30 years after inception with all four original members.

It's like saying David Bowie, Queen, Thin Lizzy and Def Leppard all had no influence on music whatsoever, it's ridiculous because they all must have achieved something (and obviously still achieve it) for us to be talking about them in the first place and know who they are.

Yes, the Beatles have had more success, made more money, inspired more musicians, wrote more songs, are critically analysed on the Leaving Cert, had more fights, had more divorces and even had an X Factor show dedicated to them (twice I believe) but as far as I'm concerned Motley Crue ****ing rock harder and sound better - and I'll be in the cold ground before my opinion changes

motley-crue-70853.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i think what mellor is saying is despite the stats he still thinks motley rock, lets put him down as an aye!

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bridgetown1

This thread is about as useful as trying to decide which is tastier between Stilton and Brie.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Deplasterer

Mötley Crüe has sold more than 80 million album copies worldwide, including 25 million in the U.S

Peoples taste in music always surprises me.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭TheoBoone

Motley Crue are a great band. However, they DID NOT ever invent or develop any new kind of metal. They started wearing make up at live shows. Which Kiss and Alice Cooper had done before them. They wore tight leather pants which countless other acts had done before them. They drank, fought, smoked, injected themselves with heroin and f**ked alot, which loads of other artists(including the Beatles!) had done before them. The only place your going to see anyone proclaiming Motley Crue as the discoverers of some new kind of glam rock metal scene is in 'the Dirt', and to take that as a fact would be kinda like basing your entire view of Hitler off of Mein Kampf!

no member of the crue had any hand act or part in the writing of that most henious of songs "imagine"
    for that alone they win.

i hate that song.

crue were responsible for some of the most rifftastic songs of their generation.

pioneers of the revolving drumkit.

possibly the first mirror guitar seen on stage

Nikki Sixx died and notably returned from the dead according to the bible that was kerrang in the late eighties. he was temporarily replaced by an unknown lookylikey according to same reputable journalistic tome.

they also pulled noticeably prettier wimmin, and ALL of them had all limbs present and accounted for, unlike some....

tommy got heather, the barsteward, she was mine:(

TheoBoone wrote: »
    and to take that as a fact would be kinda like basing our entire view of Hitler off of Mein Kampf!

OK, just gonna stop you there, because this has got way out of hand. I'm not going to start a political debate but just a little lesson for the kiddies.

The Dirt is a book written by four members of a rock band (and a ghost writer) in which they bull**** the truth and make themselves look even more ****ed up and weird then they already are to sell copies and make the publishing house some money.

Mein Kampf is a book in which Hitler, a Politician and Dictator, combines elements of autobiography alongside exposition of Hitler's ideology and political beliefs. Hitler wrote the book for a handful of reasons, during a period in which he was incarnated for what he believed were political crimes, one of the main reasons the book was written was because he needed to offset the cost of his trial and wanted to sell something to his followers and make money.

In Mein Kampf, Hitler uses the main thesis of "the Jewish peril", which speaks of an alleged Jewish conspiracy to gain world leadership. The narrative describes the process by which he became increasingly anti-Semitic and militaristic, especially during his years in Vienna.

Now, in all seriousness, Hitler was a monster, a murderer, a dictator, an oppressor, a tyrant and a racist - he was guilty of war crimes - and to even mention him in the same sentence (and in this forum) is quite frankly disgusting. Furthermore, the very notion that you suggest we have some kind of tolerance on Hitler, because we don't know his full story is sick. You don't need to judge Hitler beyond his actions and his autobiography and he has nothing to do with this conversation.

WTF, I got banned of the Bands and Musicians forum for going slightly off topic. My comment about Hitler was an offhand one, at the end of a post all about Motley Crue. I was just making a smart ass comparison which I thought was kinda funny. I haven't even read Mein Kampf. I just thought it would be a funny way of describing my thoughts. Sorry!

Also, you seem to know a great deal about Mein Kampf. This means one of two things:

1. You've read Mein Kampf!!!!!!! If you don't like Hitler, you probably shouldn't be reading his books. I mean, if your not a fan of his, then I don't understand why your taking the time out to read his book!

or

2. You haven't read Mein Kampf, but wanted to look like you knew what you were talking about. So you looked up a bunch of stuff about the book and pasted it into your comment.

Ah folks let's keep it to good natured teasing!

Haven't seen the ban hammer round here much so who knows who'll get hit as he may be rusty:)

On topic I must dig out footage of the crüe at the Moscow peace festival, they were good at that gig

OK, just gonna stop you there, because this has got way out of hand. I'm not going to start a political debate but just a little lesson for the kiddies.

AGH god!!! Your that person!!! REALLY???? "I know more than you, and am about to school you with my superior knowledge of......,in this case, Mein Kampf!!"

I said "our" when I meant to say "your". I wasn't trying to suggest that we all have some shared tolerance for Hitler. I think most people here know who he was and what he did. Thanks for setting the record straight for those of us who didn't know. I found the bit about him being a dictator and guilty of war crimes really informative. Having spend the last few years thinking that Hitler was the guy who plays Hayleys boyfriend on the hit tv sitcom Modern Family I was shocked to find out that, not only was Hitler not an actor, but he's not even American!!!!!

And WTF, you seem to know that book pretty well. I haven't even read it. You've either read the thing pretty thoroughly, or looked a bunch of stuff online about it and shoved it into your post! Neither of which is going to paint you in the best light.

I don't believe this particular discussion should be continued here, but yes, I have read the book and, no, it does not put me in a bad light - as a human being living in the free world I am entitled to read what I want and I am entitled to take what meanings I want from things.

This is exactly why we have a site like this, and a discussion like this about two music groups, one of which I feel is better than the other. And that is my opinion.

Also, your attitude and tone make for displeasure in reading, mocking (or attempting to mock) me is useless (as is making stupid jokes) because if you want to have a grown up conversation without the use of sarcasm I am perfectly willing to chat with you about any subject you might wish to discuss. In the relevant time or place of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

WTF, I got banned of the Bands and Musicians forum for going slightly off topic.
    Just to clarify, you didn't get banned for that. You got banned for a week for not heeding a moderator's instruction. This post stated pretty clearly to get back onto the thread subject and you followed it up a day with a post which didn't do that.

As for the whole Hitler thing can we cut that out now please and get back onto the topic at hand? That's for everyone, not just TheoBoone.

• Advertisement

Motley Crue are a great band. However, they DID NOT ever invent or develop any new kind of metal. They started wearing make up at live shows. Which Kiss and Alice Cooper had done before them. They wore tight leather pants which countless other acts had done before them. They drank, fought, smoked, injected themselves with heroin and f**ked alot, which loads of other artists(including the Beatles!) had done before them. The only place your going to see anyone proclaiming Motley Crue as the discoverers of some new kind of glam rock metal scene is in 'the Dirt', and to take that as a fact would be kinda like basing your entire view of Hitler off of Mein Kampf!

Are you smoking crack?

Where to start........................

First off why do you think Kiss took off their make up in the 80s? Why do you think Sunset Strip was THE place to be if you were in a band?

Why Do you think:

Poison
    Cinderella
    Britny Fox
    Ratt
    Skid Row
    PrettyBoy Floyd
    Faster Pussycat
    Guns N Roses

All dressed the same, all moved to LA and all came about after Motely Crue pretty much after release of Theatre of Pain. On which album was Home Sweet Home, Which caused MTV to change their rules on playing videos as it spent ages being most requested. After which Every Album from the genre had a Ballad. To even try state that they didnt start off that whole scene of Glam metal going mainstream your delusional.

and Bringing Hitler into it? what the ****!

kona wrote: »
    Are you smoking crack?

Where to start........................

First off why do you think Kiss took off their make up in the 80s? Why do you think Sunset Strip was THE place to be if you were in a band?

Why Do you think:

Poison
    Cinderella
    Britny Fox
    Ratt
    Skid Row
    PrettyBoy Floyd
    Faster Pussycat
    Guns N Roses

All dressed the same, all moved to LA and all came about after Motely Crue pretty much after release of Theatre of Pain. On which album was Home Sweet Home, Which caused MTV to change their rules on playing videos as it spent ages being most requested. After which Every Album from the genre had a Ballad. To even try state that they didnt start off that whole scene of Glam metal going mainstream your delusional.

and Bringing Hitler into it? what the ****!

I have two bands you might want to look into if you think that Motley Crue were the first guys to hit the Strip and invent glam metal. One is a band called Hanoi Rocks which were dressing like that before Motley Crue. The other is a band called Van Halen. Both of these bands were playing glam metal before Motley Crue. Motley Crue are a good band. They've written some decent songs, but thats about it. Most of their career has been just them, talking and writing...about their career. Look at it this way, they're probably better known for their antics than their music. If they were pioneers of a new glam metal scene, that wouldn't be the case. Van Halen and Hanoi Rocks were playing the style of music that Crue are know for before they were!

I'm not going to mention anything about the political figure which I previously brought up in such an offhand manner, that to suggest that I tried to bring him into the discussion would lead me to question whether or not you suffer from some form of severe mental deficiency. Or to put it another way, are you a member of Motley Crue???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

This thread would make the baba jesus cry. :pac:

I have two bands you might want to look into if you think that Motley Crue were the first guys to hit the Strip and invent glam metal. One is a band called Hanoi Rocks which were dressing like that before Motley Crue. The other is a band called Van Halen. Both of these bands were playing glam metal before Motley Crue. Motley Crue are a good band. They've written some decent songs, but thats about it. Most of their career has been just them, talking and writing...about their career. Look at it this way, they're probably better known for their antics than their music. If they were pioneers of a new glam metal scene, that wouldn't be the case. Van Halen and Hanoi Rocks were playing the style of music that Crue are know for before they were!

I'm not going to mention anything about the political figure which I previously brought up in such an offhand manner, that to suggest that I tried to bring him into the discussion would lead me to question whether or not you suffer from some form of severe mental deficiency. Or to put it another way, are you a member of Motley Crue???

Ya like the song hooligans holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Oh god so much car crash..

For the record almost every band mentioned here (apart from Oasis) are more listenable to than the Beatles.

Sleaze, please! \m/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,382 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just worth mentioning, The Crue were pretty close with members of both Van Halen and Hannoi rocks. Crue, or specific vince Neil, was the reason Hannoi rocks split up

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Okay, I can't see this thread going anywhere except further downhill so I'm closing it. Hopefully the next band x versus band y thread (if there is one) will feature a sensible comparison so that a sensible discussion has more chance of appearing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement