Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to upgrade my PC

Options
  • 13-05-2011 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hey all , looking to upgrade my 6 year old pc (specs below) i dont want to blow the bank so i will be using this to play poker online mainly and mayby WOW, star trek online and other RPG`s i will be connecting it to a 32" lcd tv/monitor and i wont be playing crysis etc on this as i have an xbox360 for those sort of games

AMD Athlon 64 processor 3000+ 2.05GHz
    Bus speed 204Mhz
    Motherboard – http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=KV8+Pro&fMTYPE=Socket%20754
    Bios Phoenix 6.00 PG
    1GB RAM
    150GB HDD
    Philips CD/DVD Read/write combo
    Second Dvd/cd read drive
    Sound – Realtek AC97 Audio
    Video – NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500
    PSU - JEANTECH 450W Blue LED Fan
    Genuine copy of Windows 7 Home premium
    Netgear Wireless USB dongle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭AirsoftAndy

ok man if u give me a budget i will give u a good build and tell me ur prefered website to order from as i will pick the parts from there.

-Andy-

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭IReadUrSoul

ok man if u give me a budget i will give u a good build and tell me ur prefered website to order from as i will pick the parts from there.

-Andy-

im not sure what to quote u budget wise i only need a motherboard, ram ,pro,graphics card so thrown some cheap suggestions up

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭AirsoftAndy

Ok i went onto www.dabs.ie and found lots of good deals and this is the best u will get for the money
    this gives u a new case,psu,mobo,cpu,graphics card,ram

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Bit of a cheapie PSU in that build

OP, what is your budget?

These are the best budget builds around at the mo
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72038305&postcount=1037

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Bit of a cheapie PSU in that build

OP, what is your budget?

These are the best budget builds around at the mo
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72038305&postcount=1037
    this.

what resolution is your monitor OP, and do you plan on upgrading it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

My PC just died and fails to even POST, need something new. it's 6-7 years old now not worth keeping it.

Will be keeping the Drives and case (original CM stacker).

Had a look at the build that's up, i need Dolby live for my sound system. what's the best option.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Varik wrote: »
    My PC just died and fails to even POST, need something new. it's 6-7 years old now not worth keeping it.

Will be keeping the Drives and case (original CM stacker).

Had a look at the build that's up, i need Dolby live for my sound system. what's the best option.

Probably the majority of onboard motherboard audio chipsets will have DDL support now, as would most decent soundcards . You can't really go wrong with any motherboard board that has Realtek HD audio (much superior to VIA chipsets ). Just double check the exact chipset version, as detailed in the motherboard specs, to be 100% sure it has DDL support (They have names like named ALC88X... ) and make sure the board has all the audio outputs you need.

Looking at the Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 or GA-P67A-UD4-B3 never used any of their stuff, any opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I have an X58A-UD5 from Gigabyte, and it's a fantastic board.

The main differences I can see from the two boards, are the extra SATA ports and SLI support offered by the UD4.

If SLI's not a consideration for you - probably not; everyone here seems to recommend AMD - and if you don't need the extra SATA ports for hard drives / optical drives, go for the UD3P.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Serephucus wrote: »
    I have an X58A-UD5 from Gigabyte, and it's a fantastic board.

The main differences I can see from the two boards, are the extra SATA ports and SLI support offered by the UD4.

If SLI's not a consideration for you - probably not; everyone here seems to recommend AMD - and if you don't need the extra SATA ports for hard drives / optical drives, go for the UD3P.

Thankfully this is changing and upcoming Bulldozer boards will have full SLI support for boards based around AMD’s 990FX, 990X and 970 chipsets.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/20110428084737_Nvidia_Confirms_SLI_Support_on_Next_Generation_AMD_FX_Bulldozer_Platforms.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 higginsshane70

AMD Athlon 64 processor 3000+ 2.05GHz
    Bus speed 204Mhz
    Motherboard – http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=KV8+Pro&fMTYPE=Socket%20754
    Bios Phoenix 6.00 PG
    1GB RAM
    150GB HDD
    Philips CD/DVD Read/write combo
    Second Dvd/cd read drive
    Sound – Realtek AC97 Audio
    Video – NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500
    PSU - JEANTECH 450W Blue LED Fan
    Genuine copy of Windows 7 Home premium
    Netgear Wireless USB dongle

I think you should expand Ram and Hdd, also Cpu if you find something for this socket and that should be enough :)

I think you should expand Ram and Hdd, also Cpu if you find something for this socket and that should be enough :)

The budget PC for 400 euros will be literally 300/400% faster than his current machine -

A couple of hundred quid for something you get so much use out of is easily justified

marco_polo wrote: »
    Just double check the exact chipset version, as detailed in the motherboard specs, to be 100% sure it has DDL support (They have names like named ALC88X... ) and make sure the board has all the audio outputs you need.

none seem to have all i want.
    The ALC889 is what the gigabyte board has but it seem like the norm to only have 3-connector 3.5 support, sadly i need 2 4-connector.

Any idea what to use or where to get the right splitters to change 2 4-connector to 3 2-connector.

Varik wrote: »
    none seem to have all i want.
    The ALC889 is what the gigabyte board has but it seem like the norm to only have 3-connector 3.5 support, sadly i need 2 4-connector.

Any idea what to use or where to get the right splitters to change 2 4-connector to 3 2-connector.

Not too sure about the splitters sorry. You don't happen to have any S/PDIF (Coax or Optical) inputs on your sound system as that would make it much easier.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Not too sure about the splitters sorry. You don't happen to have any S/PDIF (Coax or Optical) inputs on your sound system as that would make it much easier.

Thanks but i just found out it doesn't matter, i thought the 3 cables to the speakers were fixed as i haven't looked at it in a while but they're not so i just need 4 3.5mm stereo cables instead of a splitter.

Last question as i'm about ready to order my stuff soon.

XFX RADEON HD 6870 940M 1GB DDR5 DUAL DP HDMI DUAL DVI BLACK

It £166 on scan with a copy of shogun 2 which is a game i'll get anyway and it's listed as having a 5 year warranty, with warranty implying manufactures protection does either this game or warranty length apply to the much cheaper €169 from hardwareversand.de

I've a XFX 7800gtx still going 6 years later and getting used a lot(till the rest of the PC died), also have had a HIS before and that went after no time at all so i'm wary of them.

Does anyone know the details about any extras that come with this or am i better of getting another card.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/8224042/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-6870-1-gb-gddr5.html

140 euros on pixmania.ie + buy Shogun separately

If you are close to spending 200 euros then there is this beast
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/8840071/art/gigabyte/geforce-gtx-560-ti-oc-1-g.html

Here's a rough reference on the speeds for comparison purposes
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_560_Ti_Amp_Edition/23.html

Advertisement