Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to renting, value for money?

Options
  • 13-05-2011 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Any opinions? Thanks guys...:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

It depends on the landlord. Some of them are decent, the place is therefore decent. Others are lousy, have shabby furniture and want some huge amounts of money for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

My advice:

* Ignore any rentals without pictures on Daft.ie
    * Ignore any rentals without good pictures on Daft
    * Ignore any place with bad furniture, ugly carpets etc.

Ignore asking price, this is renters market and some landlords (almost all) are burning their fingers on investment mortgages. Let them burn and negotiate down, they rarely have a choice. Also demand as much as you can, if you see any issues with the place.

There is certainly value for money to be had, considering, people who bought within the last 7 years are loosing money every month on interest and negative equity. That, in itself, is value. Buying is dead money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1043040

guys sorry this is the link i meant to post in my original comment,just noticed now:) what do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

zweton wrote: »

guys sorry this is the link i meant to post in my original comment,just noticed now:) what do ye think?

That place is savage zweton, like noxqs said it is a buyers market so i'd try and haggle to 550e. Even with that the place is immaculate, so 600e is not too bad imo (refuse charges included in rent), compare it with other two bed apartments around the area. Also make sure to find out about if a parking permit is required, my cousin lives in an apartment estate and has to pay a grand a year so just an idea.

Good luck with the hunt, very nice place.!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Any other opinions guys:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I just wish you could get places like that in Dublin for that money :D
    Looks like a lovely place.

Noxqs advice was pretty much on the money imo
    View everything. If you like the pictures, go and see it. Take your time and ask as many questions as you can possibly think of.
    Ignoring the asking price is another must-knock your offer at least €100 off per month-you will probably settle at a happy medium, its always worked for me!
    Ignore anybody who tells you 'renting is dead money'. Its not, especially at the moment. There are many threads in this forum explaining the rent versus buying situation if you want to read about it in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Azureus wrote: »
    I just wish you could get places like that in Dublin for that money :D
    Looks like a lovely place.

I was just about to say you would be hard pushed to get a place like that in Dublun:D

One thing I always mention is how much leway I have in the place myself, i.e. I always ask for permission to paint walls when I please, I usually agree to cream shades but with kids I find the walls get very dirty very quickly and I like to top them up (I dont ask the landlord to pay as it is my choice to do so). Ask about if you would be allowed hang pictures if you wanted to do so and how long they wish to rent the place for, i.e. the contract may be for 1 year but do you want only one year or are you hoping more long term, my current house I agreed to as the landlords said they have no interest in selling and would prefer long term themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭user1842

zweton wrote: »

Careful electric storage heating. Pain in the ass and costs a lot if not used properly. Also dries out the air.

Advertisement