Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can people who havent bought minecraft play on a private server?

• 13-05-2011 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

I am planning on making a minecraft server with my friends but most of them haven't bought it . Is there a way I could have a server which we could all play together on?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

no. game has to be bought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It's not that expensive... Just buy stand support Indy developer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Alpha server mebbe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Yes, there is.

You have to change the server.properties file a bit, changing onlinemode=true to onlinemode=false.

And you all need to have Hamachi and have to be connected to the same network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

^ online-mode=false is the property you're looking for. Hamachi isn't necessary though if you have a proper host, or are able to get around your router (using no-IP.org and DMZ configuration)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

Meaning they got it illegally? cant tell ya babes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Thanks guys. Got it working with hamachi with 2 friends. Took a while to set up everything:)
    But when I type commands like /list or /spawn nothing happens. The /give commands work tho. Is there any software for controlling a server that's better than the one you get of minecraft.net. I tried mcadmin but it said 'trouble binding port maybe a server is on that port' . Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Darragh12 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Got it working with hamachi with 2 friends. Took a while to set up everything:)
    But when I type commands like /list or /spawn nothing happens. The /give commands work tho. Is there any software for controlling a server that's better than the one you get of minecraft.net. I tried mcadmin but it said 'trouble binding port maybe a server is on that port' . Thanks
    CraftBukkit.

http://bukkit.org/

Botulism wrote: »
    CraftBukkit.

http://bukkit.org/

Darragh12 wrote: »
    Not at all! Just download their .jar file and launch that instead of the minecraft_server.jar

You won't see any added functionality until you actually add plugins. Simply drop them into the plugins folder and add the name of the plugin to server.properties like so:
    Plugins=Permissions,SuperPowers

The name of the plugin is just the filename, less the extension.

Edit: There's already a Sticky about setting up the server, including CraftBukkit.

• Advertisement

Hoku wrote: »
    Not at all! Just download their .jar file and launch that instead of the minecraft_server.jar

You won't see any added functionality until you actually add plugins. Simply drop them into the plugins folder and add the name of the plugin to server.properties like so:
    Plugins=Permissions,SuperPowers

The name of the plugin is just the filename, less the extension.

Edit: There's already a Sticky about setting up the server, including CraftBukkit.

Thanks! Just one last question. Can I rent a server with hamachi and what mine craft hosting companies are in Ireland.. Thanks

If you rent a server, you won't need Hamachi since the server will probably already have a dedicated IP.

As to WHERE to host is up to you, but I'd advise you to host in mainland Europe rather than UK or Ireland. It tends to be a fair bit cheaper and you still get great service. If your budget allows it, get yourself a VPS and install a MineCraft server on it - it's likely to work out cheaper, although there is more admin work involved.

I'm not sure if naming/discussing/recommending hosts is allowed in this section, so just Google for "minecraft hosting" and compare a few sites. Then head over to WebHostingTalk and check out the offers in the VPS section. You will probably want no less than 1GB of RAM for the server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement