Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Epilators

• 13-05-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hello everyone!

I'm new here, I came on because I've been considering buying an epilator. Does anyone have one or have a make to recommend? I've heard they're quite sore the first few times but I think I could handle that! Thoughts please? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

new age torture instruments, but longer lasting than shaving,
    3 words tho, exfoliate to **** :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dmckenna50

booboo88 wrote: »

Ha ha! Lethal! Exfoliate as in with a scrub or with a body brush? Really bad then? ya see that's the thing, I shave and next thing there's hair there when I drying my legs. Right well maybe not that bad but still!

Personal question, do you use it on your bikini line or underarms? :/

dmckenna50 wrote: »
    Ha ha! Lethal! Exfoliate as in with a scrub or with a body brush? Really bad then? ya see that's the thing, I shave and next thing there's hair there when I drying my legs. Right well maybe not that bad but still!

Personal question, do you use it on your bikini line or underarms? :/
    I know the feeling, its like 5pm shadow :rolleyes:
    i use it on my underarms, not sometimes for bikini line, if im feeling brave :eek:
    but exoliate with a brush after, if u have sensitive skin your better not using showel gels or creams straight away. maybe thats just me tho :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I use an epilator on my legs and my underarms. No regrowth for a few days with my underarms which is great and I'd get a week or two after doing my legs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I adore my epilator - it's a Philips SatinPerfect, comes with lots of attachments, rechargeable and has a wide head so more area is covered in one stroke. I use it everywhere - legs, arms, bikini area and underarms. It is a bit stingy the first few times but not as painful as waxing (IMO) and it lasts quite a while. I find my underarms to be the most painful place to use it, but I'm sure others find the bikini area worse.

I exfoliate after each time I use it (about twice a week now - but in the beginning it was every second/third day) with body gloves and shower gel. I then moisturise afterwards (do this most days anyway!) which I was advised not to do but I have never had any problems with it (I don't have sensitive skin).

Mine was a gift so I don't know how much is cost but it's worth its weight in gold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭xxtattyberxx

Lol best way to describe alright

USed mine once resorted to crying so I gave out to it, put it in a box and we never made up.

Waxing ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

I didn't know about exfoliating; is it before or after using the epilator - no wonder I made a hames of it! Thanks for any tips, I'm fed up waxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Love my epilator :) It's handy when I can't go get waxed, legs, underarms and bikini line gets done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Got one... used it twice, my legs were smooth but my red eyes from the crying lasted as long as the smoothness!! :o
    Never used itt again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

Is it easier to use compared to wax strips?

• Advertisement

serenacat wrote: »
    Is it easier to use compared to wax strips?
    personally yes.
    if your going to wax id get a beautician to to it. i used strips once and it was nasty.
    epilators are good if you find a good one.

word of the wise, the cooling spray to numb the pain a lil. not worth a w**k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

personally yes.
    if your going to wax id get a beautician to to it. i used strips once and it was nasty.
    epilators are good if you find a good one.

word of the wise, the cooling spray to numb the pain a lil. not worth a w**k

what's a good one? I know they sell them in argos right? maybe a few glasses or bottles of wine lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Blusher

I have one and love it, it depends on what one you get, some come with attachments which make it less painful, like mine has a roller on top so i dont feel the pain as much. My friend has one without...I compared the two.....holy ****.....it hurt so bad!......Get one with an attachment that has a roller!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I bought one and used it once. It was torture! My legs were all red and stinging after and like every other poster, my eyes were red from crying!

Awful. Back to Veet. All is forgiven!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Blusher wrote: »
    I have one and love it, it depends on what one you get, some come with attachments which make it less painful, like mine has a roller on top so i dont feel the pain as much. My friend has one without...I compared the two.....holy ****.....it hurt so bad!......Get one with an attachment that has a roller!
    Which one do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭xxpopopxx

Anyone know if the cheap Argos one works good? Thinking of buying one but some are just so costy..... :( is the argos one effective or are the brand ones dearer for a reason???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I got one a couple of weeks ago in Boots when they were on special offer and it's fantastic. It was ridiculously expensive without the discount and even with it it was still just over 100. Kind of tricky deciding whether to spend that and to use it once and for it to remain in the box but I had heard good things about it and I was sick of shaving my legs every 2 days.

http://www.braun.com/global/female-grooming/silk-epil-epilators/silk-epil-7.html

It is wonderful. The amazing thing about this one is that it can be used in the bath so the pain is reduced a lot. The light on it is also brilliant because when you're using it the epilator casts a shadow on wherever you're epilating and you wouldn't be able to see what you're doing. It comes with all sorts of extra attachments and is an electric shaver as well.

When people say it doesn't hurt they're either lying or they don't remember the first time they epilated. It was seriously painful, much more painful than waxing the first time. I wanted to stop after driving it up my leg once. It really was awful. I've done it a few times now and it's not even 1/4 as painful as the first time so I think when you ask people and they say it doesn't hurt they're thinking of that level of pain. The first time was awful.

I'm so happy I persisted though and I'm delighted with the results :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭premiergal

Got the Philips one off amazon a couple of weeks ago.
    The first time hurts like hell!!Found my underarms the worst as someone else was saying.
    The boyf was laughing at my eyes watering the first time till I threatened him with it!:D
    Waay better now though beats shaving every couple of days for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Victoria. wrote: »
    I got one a couple of weeks ago in Boots when they were on special offer and it's fantastic. It was ridiculously expensive without the discount and even with it it was still just over 100. Kind of tricky deciding whether to spend that and to use it once and for it to remain in the box but I had heard good things about it and I was sick of shaving my legs every 2 days.

http://www.braun.com/global/female-grooming/silk-epil-epilators/silk-epil-7.html

It is wonderful. The amazing thing about this one is that it can be used in the bath so the pain is reduced a lot. The light on it is also brilliant because when you're using it the epilator casts a shadow on wherever you're epilating and you wouldn't be able to see what you're doing. It comes with all sorts of extra attachments and is an electric shaver as well.

When people say it doesn't hurt they're either lying or they don't remember the first time they epilated. It was seriously painful, much more painful than waxing the first time. I wanted to stop after driving it up my leg once. It really was awful. I've done it a few times now and it's not even 1/4 as painful as the first time so I think when you ask people and they say it doesn't hurt they're thinking of that level of pain. The first time was awful.

I'm so happy I persisted though and I'm delighted with the results :D

Victoria, I'm considerig buying this particular model. Can you please tell me if you can remove the razor and then epilate on a normal setting? I have an older model of the Braun Silk Epil and looking to update but not sure I like the idea of the razor being there all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭gossipgirl10

Victoria, I'm considerig buying this particular model. Can you please tell me if you can remove the razor and then epilate on a normal setting? I have an older model of the Braun Silk Epil and looking to update but not sure I like the idea of the razor being there all the time.

Hi DebDynamite is it the Braun Silk Epil one with the venus razor on it that you are thinking of buying?

i bought that one in boots last week they had 50% off i think so it worked out around 115euro...

the head with the venus razor on it comes off and a plain head for just epilating can be used instead. i did my legs and while i found it was really sore it was quite satisfying :) the light is brilliant for finding spots you missed and i would say its not as sore the more you do it as there would be less hair there.

since the legs went well i thought i would be brave and try under my arms. was soooo sore and was left with bleeding armpits after only removing a little bit of hair so i couldnt keep going with it. would really love to try again i think maybe i wasnt holding the skin tight enough or something. am heading travelling in january so would be really handy to not have to be defuzzing constantly :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Hi DebDynamite is it the Braun Silk Epil one with the venus razor on it that you are thinking of buying?

i bought that one in boots last week they had 50% off i think so it worked out around 115euro...

the head with the venus razor on it comes off and a plain head for just epilating can be used instead. i did my legs and while i found it was really sore it was quite satisfying :) the light is brilliant for finding spots you missed and i would say its not as sore the more you do it as there would be less hair there.

since the legs went well i thought i would be brave and try under my arms. was soooo sore and was left with bleeding armpits after only removing a little bit of hair so i couldnt keep going with it. would really love to try again i think maybe i wasnt holding the skin tight enough or something. am heading travelling in january so would be really handy to not have to be defuzzing constantly :p

Thanks Gossipgirl, I got it in the end. 50% off sale in Boots also - sweet!

That's good to hear. I actually hadn't opened the packaging in case I wanted to take it back, so I can go ahead and open it now.

Regarding the underarms, it gets so much easier - trust me! I can epilate there now without batting an eyelid. It's the best thing...you get so much longer out of it than shaving. You do need to hold the skin taut though. Keep trying and and you'll find your own knack and it'll also get easier and less painful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Sorry I only saw this now :(
    Glad to hear you got sorted out and hope you get on really well with it :) At least you'll be under no pressure as you can do different areas gradually during winter which is handy. I had to just go for it because I started at the beginning of the summer haha
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭gossipgirl10

Thanks Gossipgirl, I got it in the end. 50% off sale in Boots also - sweet!

That's good to hear. I actually hadn't opened the packaging in case I wanted to take it back, so I can go ahead and open it now.

Regarding the underarms, it gets so much easier - trust me! I can epilate there now without batting an eyelid. It's the best thing...you get so much longer out of it than shaving. You do need to hold the skin taut though. Keep trying and and you'll find your own knack and it'll also get easier and less painful!

Thanks DebDynamite i decided to give the underarms another shot on Friday and they were still sooo sore so only did a little bit on each then last night i took 2 painkillers and managed to do both of them fully. it was still really sore but i think knowing i had taken the pain killer i just made myself stick with it. going to make sure to keep epilating instead of shaving so hopefully it will get easier.

on my legs its crazy i did them nearly two weeks ago and they still look totally hair free (they dont feel nice and smooth or anything but you could totally get away with them without having to shave). my hair on my legs is fairly fine and sparse so it will be great if i can just epilate every couple of weeks instead of shaving all the time when i am travelling.

definitely a good purchase :)

Advertisement