Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure where i stand with compensation/failing

Options
  • 13-05-2011 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

I know how the compensation system generally works but i'm a bit confused about my situation.

At christmas i failed three exams with three E's. I was advised to repeat one just in case, which i did last week. Firstly, that didn't go particularly well so if i've f'ed that up can i still compensate it?

If i did pass that repeat and i've got the GPA of 2.0 that goes with it can it be used to compensate if i fail something this semester?

Supposing i fail the repeat and get another E grade (four in total for the year) does that mean i haven't completed enough to pass into third year? (even if i get an E and five D-'s this semester my GPA will still be above 2.0 which is the threshold for compensation)

Any input appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I know how the compensation system generally works but i'm a bit confused about my situation.

At christmas i failed three exams with three E's. I was advised to repeat one just in case, which i did last week. Firstly, that didn't go particularly well so if i've f'ed that up can i still compensate it?

I you got an F in the repeat the E will still stand and you can compensate it.
    If i did pass that repeat and i've got the GPA of 2.0 that goes with it can it be used to compensate if i fail something this semester?

Yes, if you pass it then you can afford to get 3 other Es as long as your GPA is 2, as you said.
    Supposing i fail the repeat and get another E grade (four in total for the year) does that mean i haven't completed enough to pass into third year? (even if i get an E and five D-'s this semester my GPA will still be above 2.0 which is the threshold for compensation)

Any input appreciated!

And yes, you would not be able to pass into third year. You would have to pass at least one of the Es so that the other 3 could be compensated.

Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I you got an F in the repeat the E will still stand and you can compensate it.

Well thats good, i almost passed first time so hopelfully i managed the extra 3% this time.
    Yes, if you pass it then you can afford to get 3 other Es as long as your GPA is 2, as you said.
    Also good, this situation is as optimistic as i can get!
    And yes, you would not be able to pass into third year. You would have to pass at least one of the Es so that the other 3 could be compensated.

That would be bad, i really don't want to be in that position because i know i'll end up dropping out
    Hope that helps :)
    It does, thanks!

Advertisement