Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help showing a girl around town

Options
  • 13-05-2011 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey everyone, I need some help. In a couple of weeks a friend of mine is visiting Cork from America and she wants me to be a tour guide and show her a good time in Cork. Unfortunately, I'm a Tipp man and I haven't been inside Cork much except for the occasional night out.

She's 26, very much into literature (English master's student) and art. Also, as with most American's she's very interested in just general 'Irishness'.

Any help anyone could give I'd massively appreciate :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

blarney castle
    blackrock castle/observatory,
    www.glucksman.org/
    www.lifetimelab.ie at lee fields
    cork city gaol
    http://www.corkvisioncentre.com/corkvisioncentre/Main/Home.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

UCC , the Glucksman and generally the grounds of UCC are fantastic. Fitzgeralds park is close by too . As is St Finbarrs Cathederal . The Cork city open top bus tour is great. Brings you to a lot of sites. The City gaol is excellent. The bells of Shandon and that area. The Titanic exhibition in Cobh will take you the whole afternoon, my American visitors loved it . Blarney Castle and the Woollen mills there is also great for a day out . East Cork direction Fota wildlife Park . Fota house and gardens are beautiful. Jameson Experience in Midleton.. Kinsale .. Garretstown beach via the Old head of Kinsale , stunning. Kinsale town itself has Charles Fort and lots of other attractions. TBH you ll find it hard to fit in everything there is to see . We are spoilt for choice in Cork !

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Xaeldaren

Thanks for the quick replies :) How about decent restaurants, pubs, clubs?

This might be a little tricky though since she's a vegan haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Xaeldaren wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick replies :) How about decent restaurants, pubs, clubs?

This might be a little tricky though since she's a vegan haha.

Quay Coop and Cafe Paradiso do fine vegan or vegetarian food. Paradiso is wallet rapingly expensive though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The City tour bus is quite interesting.

If you have a car the Old Head of Kinsale is pretty cool, seen a flock (yes, flock) of dolphins off there once.

Actually Kinsale itself is a must see for a tourist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

Early pints in Mutton Lane and then a session in the LV.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BarneyMagee

Take the audio tours around Cork as well. You just download them onto your phones and then get a map from the tourist office.

There are two of them, one on history, another on arts & culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Ask Roverjames he will take her around in the ZT....:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

paulosham wrote: »
    Early pints in Mutton Lane and then a session in the LV.
    Where/What is the LV? The Long Valley?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

daveyjoe wrote: »
    Where/What is the LV? The Long Valley?
    The LV is on McCurtain Street at the bottom of Yorke Street, near enough to the Bru hostel and Leisureplex.
    Haven't been there in ages, but remember it as being grand.
    Was going to say that you could bring her to the butter museum, but if she is vegan you might have to give it a miss!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

The butter museum. Good times. Fascinating stuff. So much fun.

Seriously though I love bringing people there and pretending I think its the bees knees and getting all offended when the disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Shellygoose

Balmed Out wrote: »
    The butter museum. Good times. Fascinating stuff. So much fun.

Oh my God, I only heard about the butter museum last week!! Sounds class :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Seriously though I love bringing people /B]to the butter museum[B and pretending I think its the bees knees and getting all offended when the disagree.

Aha! So that's how it works. I thought I was taking crazy pills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Re Butter Museum = not worth going to. BUT if are in the area for something else, in the Firkin Crane or visiting Shandon to ring the bells, 5 minutes in the Butter Exchange is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fairchild

hiya,

is it worth going out for the greyhounds on Saturday night?

is it a good laugh?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

fairchild wrote: »
    hiya,

is it worth going out for the greyhounds on Saturday night?

is it a good laugh?

cheers

Not very relevant to this thread but .... yes if you can afford it. Buy the Echo Fri and Sat to get some tips too. Depending on how much your betting, sky is limit of course. Rare time I go including drinks, and taxi back I'd spend 60 euro at least (about 25 euro on bets).

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fairchild

tommy21 wrote: »
    Not very relevant to this thread but .... yes if you can afford it. Buy the Echo Fri and Sat to get some tips too. Depending on how much your betting, sky is limit of course. Rare time I go including drinks, and taxi back I'd spend 60 euro at least (about 25 euro on bets).

very kind for answering- i have a friend from berlin over and hoped it would be a nice irish evening out, i should have added.
    cheers

Advertisement