Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Irish Angus Fillet steak

Options
  • 13-05-2011 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/product_range/product_range_14797.htm

Hi guys,

I was wondering does anyone buy these steaks? I used too. Top notch steaks and very cheap but for the last few months i can't get them. They have the striploin and sirloin but the fillet has gone. Can anyone find them?

I'm wondering are restaurants buying them up and selling them to their customers or have Aldi stopped buying them in???

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

baldbear wrote: »

I'm wondering are restaurants buying them up and selling them to their customers or have Aldi stopped buying them in???

I sincerely hope the answer is no in both cases.

Those steaks are absolutely gorgeous so I doubt a lack of demand would be a reason Aldi no longer stock them if this is the case.

If anything, a high demand could be the reason they are hard to get. Maybe they sell out quickly ?

I wouldn't blame restaurants for buying them up if it saves them money but its something I would frown upon. It could be seen as a cynical practice especially if their own customers are being misled in regard to the origin of the dish they serve.

I wonder do Aldi apply a quota an the number of fillets each customer can buy. Or do they care how many anyone buys as long as they sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

They have these steaks in the Aldi in Grange in Cork this week, I look for them there every week and this is the first time in about six months I've seen them in stock. And stupidly I didn't buy any?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Lapin wrote: »
    I wonder do Aldi apply a quota an the number of fillets each customer can buy. Or do they care how many anyone buys as long as they sell.

They do. At the tills there are signs up saying that they may limit the quantities (of anything, not just these steaks) that one customer can buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

baldbear wrote: »
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/product_range/product_range_14797.htm

Hi guys,

I was wondering does anyone buy these steaks? I used too. Top notch steaks and very cheap but for the last few months i can't get them. They have the striploin and sirloin but the fillet has gone. Can anyone find them?

I would urge you the try the rib steak in the same range, much more flavour than the fillet imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I would urge you the try the rib steak in the same range, much more flavour than the fillet imo.

+1 the Ribeye steak is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I haven't bothered with fillet for years after discovering Ribeye.

Up until a couple of eyars ago, Tesco used to sell off big unsold joints after the weekend. A few times I got a full cavery style rib on the bone joint for a little over a tenner. Could get 4-5 thick ribeyes from it. That seems to have stopped with the rest of the good times!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

It's a decent steak, Irish meat packed by AIBP, but at c.€32 per kilo, it's overpriced. Go to Supervalu or your independent butcher for a striploin @ €22/€26 per kilo, or a rib eye @ €18 per kilo....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Restaurants would be able to buy them far cheaper from suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

great steaks in aldi, but never gone for the fillets.

we used to get striploin, but gone off it recently and moved on to ribeye, much tastier imho.

we've been marinating them in teriyaki marinade for 24 hours and then doing them on the griddle pan or the bbq and they're simply awesome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

These are unreal steaks but they have put up the price by 1 Eur:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement